August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Finally some REAL heat at 240 hours???

Don't even have to wait that long. 26C at hour 204!!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Don't even have to wait that long. 26C at hour 204!!

And yet on the ECMWF surface map... day 9 is cooler than next Monday.  

Although day 8 in pretty hot down south.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

At this point I just hope the Greenland vortex staying put is as significant as Phil says.  We are basically California in the summer down here anymore.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Finally some REAL heat at 240 hours???

Given model performance and ongoing typhoons, anything shown beyond 6 days out is next to worthless right now.

More importantly, the overall model trends have been cooler for next week. Not "cool", but certainly not as hot as it was looking potentially a day or two ago.

A forum for the end of the world.

TAKE THAT, TIM!

Max temp 65-85, low-ish humidity, partly to mostly sunny days.

Kinda surprising that both Olympia and Tacoma score higher than Seattle - maybe they have a few more days that make the "comfortably warm" threshold? And Portland has more "uncomfortably warm", which is why they score lower than Seattle, I guess.

• Like 1

Now over 90F in the central valley.  I assume it will be a degree or two lower than here as you get closer to Eugene.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

TAKE THAT, TIM!

Max temp 65-85, low-ish humidity, partly to mostly sunny days.

Kinda surprising that both Olympia and Tacoma score higher than Seattle - maybe they have a few more days that make the "comfortably warm" threshold? And Portland has more "uncomfortably warm", which is why they score lower than Seattle, I guess.

Me?

How many millions of times have I said that we have gorgeous summers here?   And that 70s and low 80s with low humidity is perfect?    :lol:

I know this very well.

But Phil... they did not count 45 degrees and drizzle as a BEAUTIFUL day?   What??   I thought people should be down on their hands and knees praising God for any 45-degree drizzly day in the summer!  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah. Given the number of “nice days” west of the Cascades, it’s hard to imagine anyone from there complaining about crappy weather. But alas..

And FWIW, I think it’s funny that Chicago scores better than DC. Perhaps we lose too many points in both summer and winter, with only a small window for nice days during transition seasons.

But they are all focused in JAS.

We probably have the highest number of crappy days (dark and damp and cold) from October - April.

You have posted that dreary index map many times... and west of the Cascades is the worst place in the country.   ;)

We probably have the highest number of crappy days (dark and damp and cold) from October - April.

You have posted that dreary index map many times... and west of the Cascades is the worst place in the country. ;)

Heatsquall is the one constantly posting that map, not me.

FWIW, he also did a map only for daytime hours with “ideal weather conditions” (temp 68-72, dewpoint

4nGIzvF.jpg

Me?

How many millions of times have I said that we have gorgeous summers here?   And that 70s and low 80s with low humidity is perfect?    :lol:

I know this very well.

But Phil... they did not count 45 degrees and drizzle as a BEAUTIFUL day?   What??   I thought people should be down on their hands and knees praising God for any 45-degree drizzly day in the summer!  

The point was that the PNW lowlands have more "nice" days overall than most the country. Despite "weeks of endless drizzle" in the winter.  B)

You have posted that dreary index map many times... and west of the Cascades is the worst place in the country.   ;)

This is not true. There are usually plenty of days in May/June that fall into the 65-85, partly to mostly sunny category.

Of the 86 annual that Tacoma averages, probably 62-65 are JAS, 17-20 are May/June, and the remaining few come in April or October.

A real heatwave would sure be nice before summer comes to a close...

It'd be an interesting footnote if PDX can crack 30 90+ days while only barely nudging 100 degrees once. Only another week or so before odds for triple digits start dropping pretty rapidly.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Smoke is not too bad in Seattle... could be much worse.

sn8-9.png

It was juuuuuuuust a tiny bit more smokey last year on this day in Seattle.    :unsure:

sea_8-9-17.png

Heatsquall is the one constantly posting that map, not me.

FWIW, he also did a map only for daytime hours with “ideal weather conditions” (temp 68-72, dewpoint

4nGIzvF.jpg

1% vs 2 or 3%?  

Seems like a tiny difference.    Even in the best climate... its not ideal over 95% of the time during the day?    Seems low.

I think the ideal temp range is too small... only between 68 and 72.