August 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

FWIW, Hurricane/Typhoon Hector recurves out to sea per the 12z EURO and it gets caught up in the jet stream. In turn that's going to pump up a huge Western ridge over us and will drop a trough out east. Pretty good illustration of the Typhoon/Bering Sea rule. In the winter time we will need these typhoons to head into mainland Asia instead of recurving out to sea.

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_wpac_3.png

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_wpac_6.png

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_wpac_9.png

ecmwf_z500a_namer_11.png

• Like 1

FWIW, Hurricane/Typhoon Hector recurves out to sea per the 12z EURO and it gets caught up in the jet stream. In turn that's going to pump up a huge Western ridge over us and will drop a trough out east. Pretty good illustration of the Typhoon/Bering Sea rule. In the winter time we will need these typhoons to head into mainland Asia instead of recurving out to sea.

Sweetness, good ol Typhoon/Bering Sea rule, shows up right when we need it...

• Like 1

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Amazing how the most anomalous ridging on the planet continues to occur over western North America, year after year. And the point of radiance of the forcing origin appears to have evolved significantly..yet it’s still here.

There are going to be dozens of papers written about this period when it’s all said and done (and by that, I mean legitimate studies...not the silly clickbait crap blaming it on “the blob” or global warming).

Satellite shows the smoke from CA spreading northward into the PNW and then eastward across southern Canada and the northern plains ... all the way into Minnesota and Iowa.

sat_8-9-2.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Satellite shows the smoke from CA spreading northward into the PNW and then eastward across southern Canada and the northern plains ... all the way into Minnesota and Iowa.

sat_8-9-2.png

We are still on the fringe up here. Just a very slight high based haze but otherwise wall to wall blue still.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_wpac_3.png

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_wpac_6.png

ecmwf_mslp_uv850_wpac_9.png

ecmwf_z500a_namer_11.png

It doesn’t always work that way, though.

And the mere idea that poleward recurving WPAC hurricanes *cause* western ridges and eastern troughs is flawed..those recurves occur during WPAC/warm pool forcing/ventilation regimes, which would favor that type of pattern anyway. The cyclones can amplify it when they get caught up into the extratropical streamflow via diabatic heat release/WAFs, but the cyclones aren’t the cause of the pattern. Rather, the same boundary conditions causing the cyclones to recurve is what often causes the ridge west/trough east pattern.

• Like 1

Having AC probably helps. We are likely going to bite the bullet and get one for next year.

If nothing else, a surefire way to finally guarantee a cool summer!

Why on earth would you get one next year?

#2020cliffdive

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

11-5. Wild card team or take the tiebreaker and win the division over St. Louis. Lol

Did we travel back to 2012?

If Russell has more than a second to do something in the backfield the Hawks previously were always in it, but with the defense being a big question mark, it's safe to be a bit pessimistic.  Particularly with Goff and Garappolo due for big seasons, it's going to be an extremely difficult division, likely the best in the NFL.  This leads me to believe they are going to go 8-8.

The winter on the other hand is looking 6-10 ish to me, even though I want to be optimistic. Some parts of the central and south valley could be going into a 2-winter snowless stretch after this one. Brings back horrible memories from '14-'15 and '15-'16 back to back.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

#ithoughtthatwasin2013?

#scratchthat2017

#plusorminusafewcenturies

Just when I’m starting to feel sorry for you sitting under this death ridge year after year.. :lol: