Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

What are your opinions on NWS NOW data points?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

WeatherArchive

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:29 AM

WeatherArchive

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationStayton

Are they reliable? look how far back they go!

Phil

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21537 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Depends on if the station data they’re derived from is reliable. Funny you posted this because I was just looking at the NOW data for this area for recent Februaries (doing some winter analoging ;) ).

Weird statistical anomaly..we had our warmest February on record in 2017, just 3 years removed from what might be our coldest February on record in 2014 (IAD..haven’t checked the full record yet so don’t hold me to it yet).

2017..a yuuge +8.6 anomaly.

DnFMHGc.jpg

2014..a whopping -10.6 anomaly. ☃️

tHPosfR.jpg
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

Phil

Posted 08 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21537 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Some of those days in February 2017 were warmer than SEA’s average July temperature. :lol:
  • WeatherArchive likes this
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

WeatherArchive

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

WeatherArchive

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationStayton

WOW! We really got screwed this winter in the donut hole for snow but not for warm temps.

WeatherArchive

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:22 PM

WeatherArchive

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationStayton

Depends on if the station data they’re derived from is reliable. Funny you posted this because I was just looking at the NOW data for this area for recent Februaries (doing some winter analoging ;) ).

Weird statistical anomaly..we had our warmest February on record in 2017, just 3 years removed from what might be our coldest February on record in 2014 (IAD..haven’t checked the full record yet so don’t hold me to it yet).

2017..a yuuge +8.6 anomaly.

DnFMHGc.jpg

2014..a whopping -10.6 anomaly. ☃️

tHPosfR.jpg

When your below freezing like that do you get a lot of hoar frost?