October 2018 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

Fascinating stuff. I’ll have to do some research tomorrow on that 2007 anomaly. Sounds like a sting jet type feature that must have had some spatial stability and sat there for a little while?

As I mentioned before... this event was incredible on the ground here as well.

We had 24 inches of snow in about 12 hours overnight on 12/1 into the morning of 12/2.    Then the temperature jumped up about 30 degrees during the afternoon of 12/2 with a strong south wind.   By the morning of 12/3... it was around 60 degrees and all of the snow was gone.  Fastest snow melt I have ever seen in my life given how much we started with the day before.  

We did not have the massive rain here so there was only minimal flooding... but SW WA was pounded and I-5 went under water in places and was closed for a couple days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We had 24 inches of snow in about 12 hours overnight on 12/1 into the morning of 12/2.    Then the temperature jumped up about 30 degrees during the afternoon of 12/2 with a strong south wind.   By the morning of 12/3... it was around 60 degrees and all of the snow was gone.  Fastest snow melt I have ever seen in my life given how much we started with the day before.  

We did not have the massive rain here so there was only minimal flooding... but SW WA was pounded and I-5 went under water in places and was closed for a couple days.

The rainfall rates were pretty amazing to the west of I-5. Bremerton had 9.72" of rain on the 3rd.

• Like 1

The rainfall rates were pretty amazing to the west of I-5. Bremerton had 9.72" of rain on the 3rd.

EUG only had a couple inches with that and was in the mid-50s with light BSF.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

We had 24 inches of snow in about 12 hours overnight on 12/1 into the morning of 12/2. Then the temperature jumped up about 30 degrees during the afternoon of 12/2 with a strong south wind. By the morning of 12/3... it was around 60 degrees and all of the snow was gone. Fastest snow melt I have ever seen in my life given how much we started with the day before.

Pretty similar up here. 20”+ of snow was gone in the blink of an eye. We did have a massive rainstorm though. 5”+ in about 12 hours. Lots of flooding and some flat commercial roof failures.
  • Like 3

Didn't we have a pretty ample blob in 13-14? I know other aspects of the atmosphere and solar don't line up but the blob is so overblown.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

The following was said in the article:

"The Pacific blob of warm water creates a high-pressure period, which changes the direction of the Pacific Jet Stream. That causes warmer weather, and in the case of California’s Ridiculously Resilient Ridge, prevented normal winter storms from making landfall where they’re most needed."

But this is false. The blob did not cause the persistent ridging. Rather, the persistent ridging caused the blob. Sure, the blob was around during the winter of 2014/2015 but that was during a high solar and strong El Nino period, which more than likely resulted in the persistent ridging.

• Like 2

Fascinating stuff. I’ll have to do some research tomorrow on that 2007 anomaly. Sounds like a sting jet type feature that must have had some spatial stability and sat there for a little while?

Don't sting jets propagate pretty fast, by their nature? I'm not too familiar with the mesoscale dynamics of the '07 storm, but it sounds like more of a barrier jet situation as dewey mentioned earlier. The fact that stronger winds + heavier rain was concentrated on the western side of the Willamette valley also supports a barrier jet idea, from what I understand...

Don't sting jets propagate pretty fast, by their nature? I'm not too familiar with the mesoscale dynamics of the '07 storm, but it sounds like more of a barrier jet situation as dewey mentioned earlier. The fact that stronger winds + heavier rain was concentrated on the western side of the Willamette valley also supports a barrier jet idea, from what I understand...

Yeah, that was a massive barrier jet set up with amazingly good mixing to the surface. It still boggles my mind that we had such strong winds with absolutely no major pressure rises associated with a surface low passage. It was all gradient-based which allowed it to become so persistent. Some of the populated areas had 60+ mph gusts for 36 hours.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yeah, that was a massive barrier jet set up with amazingly good mixing to the surface. It still boggles my mind that we had such strong winds with absolutely no major pressure rises associated with a surface low passage. It was all gradient-based which allowed it to become so persistent. Some of the populated areas had 60+ mph gusts for 36 hours.

Probly has about a 1/200 chance of happening in a given year.  Crazy indeed.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Super interesting reading this. It makes sense. 

I do not remember this storm... .

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I need a Valium.

One of my professors mentioned the blob today. He said, “What is it outside right now? About 60 degrees. That’s warm. If it weren’t for the blob it would be colder right now.”

Sounds made up, but sadly it’s true. This guy has his doctorate too.

• Like 1

One of my professors mentioned the blob today. He said, “What is it outside right now? About 60 degrees. That’s warm. If it weren’t for the bob it would be colder right now.”

What field does he teach? Laughably retarded comment though...  :lol:

What field does he teach? Laughably retarded comment though... :lol:

Global Climate Change. It is basically a class designed to get all the Earth Sciences majors to a proper level of alarmism.

400 level course too. I haven’t been overly impressed so far.

• Like 1

Global Climate Change. It is basically a class designed to get all the Earth Sciences majors to a proper level of alarmism.

400 level course too. I haven’t been overly impressed so far.

That sounds like a vomit-inducing affair. I took two classes like that at UO which were quite painful but at least I got A's in both of them.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Those classes were basically "put the square shape in the square hole" and you get an A+.  :rolleyes:

Are you studying geology? That's what I studied. Should've gone to a different school though for that. 

Yeah, it can feel that way sometimes.

Geology is a strong interest of mine. Although right now I am leaning toward Geospatial Climatology for my Master’s. The research department I am interning with actually specializes in hydrology (snowpack climo).

What sort of career did you end up going for with a geology degree?

Real estate. Made several attempts at mining but could never get my foot in the door even though most of the mining workforce is quite old and they know it. It's a strange but undoubtedly interesting field.

• Like 1

One of my professors mentioned the blob today. He said, “What is it outside right now? About 60 degrees. That’s warm. If it weren’t for the blob it would be colder right now.”

Thankfully it's not the professor I met with a couple weeks ago, when I went up there. She's not teaching this semester.  :)

Thankfully it's not the professor I met with a couple weeks ago, when I went up there. She's not teaching this semester. :)

Yeah, most of the professors up here are pretty top notch. Even the guy I was quoting is quite knowledgeable about many things, and I think his heart is in the right place. He has definitely provided more than a few facepalm moments, though.

• Like 1

Yeah, most of the professors up here are pretty top notch. Even the guy I was quoting is quite knowledgeable about many things, and I think his heart is in the right place. He has definitely provided more than a few facepalm moments, though.

That's good to hear. I'm considering doing a PhD up there. Nice having an R1 school in the metro area. 

• Like 1

I assume those can mean the same thing, or arise via similar conduits? The latter is a result of inverted moisture gradients, often in warm seclusion situations. I haven’t heard the term “barrier jet” used in the literature I’ve read, but I’m not a mesoscale guy either, so what do I know?

The following was said in the article:

"The Pacific blob of warm water creates a high-pressure period, which changes the direction of the Pacific Jet Stream. That causes warmer weather, and in the case of California’s Ridiculously Resilient Ridge, prevented normal winter storms from making landfall where they’re most needed."

But this is false. The blob did not cause the persistent ridging. Rather, the persistent ridging caused the blob. Sure, the blob was around during the winter of 2014/2015 but that was during a high solar and strong El Nino period, which more than likely resulted in the persistent ridging.

Exactly. High solar/+PMM/broad IPWP forced the blob remotely through convective/eddy pathways.

I’m sure these guys are wicked smart, but so many of them are hopelessly buried in these overly-parameterized closed-system computer models, and lack a thorough, comprehensive understanding of energy budgets and the laws of physics.

This stuff is so much more multidimensional than many folks realize, IMO.