October 14 Plains/MW Snow Potential

Minny_Weather

Half as much as WxBell. $12.99/month. I cancelled wxbell last week cuz their rate is insane and got truewx. It lacks a couple things I liked about wxbell, such as easy to read height maps, 50 panel ensembles, and kuchera maps, but other than that I don't mind it.

Weighing the options. Looking like I'm gonna need at least 6 months worth of models this year. Gonna be a long season.

• Like 1

The fact that it's during the day shouldn't make much of a difference accumulations-wise. Temps would be the same during the day or night in this case, and sun angle isn't a big issue in mid-October.

Here is what NWS Hastings said, just passing on information.

“These early season events are always shaky. The warmth of the

ground/pavement is a huge wildcard...and this event occurring

during the day doesn't help. Even with clds limiting insolation

..ground-based objects can still absorb some of that resulting

in a lot of melting on contact.”

Here is what NWS Hastings said, just passing on information.

“These early season events are always shaky. The warmth of the

ground/pavement is a huge wildcard...and this event occurring

during the day doesn't help. Even with clds limiting insolation

..ground-based objects can still absorb some of that resulting

in a lot of melting on contact.”

I'm thinking the warm ground temps should be helped a lot by the rain that is supposed to fall before the onset of the snow. That will help to cool it down to the point where snow can accumulate. I am worried about air temperatures though.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'm thinking the warm ground temps should be helped a lot by the rain that is supposed to fall before the onset of the snow. That will help to cool it down to the point where snow can accumulate. I am worried about air temperatures though.

Very good points. Will be interesting to see if and where the heavy snow band occurs.

I'm saying we end up with 0.5-1" here. If this were in January it'd easily be 3-4" but alas it's October. Rate of snowfall looks good to begin and I think that will start up accumulations but the ratios are not hot looking.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Local mets are still following the notion that the far Southeast corner of the state will get the highest totals. I wonder if they've even looked at models today.

Unrelated, but HRRR looks to be advertising a 4:1 ratio tomorrow. Yowza.

Sole ptype here is now sleet. In the past 90 minutes, the temperature has not deviated more than 0.2 degrees from 37*F. Yeah this is nerve-racking. I think the precip was too progressive and now it appears that we may be lucky if we see any snow accumulation at all.

Snow northeast of Lincoln about 10 miles. Been snow here since a little before 8:00. Nothing sticking, not even to the grass. Not thinking we will see accumulation with ground temps setting at 52-54 degrees but none the less cool to see in october.

Ground temps shouldn't be much of a problem with the rate and the fact that we've had rain to cool the ground down. Thinking grass and roof accumulations are likely. Ratios are the only negative factor here.

Another thing I am nervous about is being slotted. There's a nice big fat donut hole that's looking to target the Southern part of the county, but those tend to turn towards here in SE Lincoln cuz lol why not. If that comes here then yeah there probably won't be accumulations.

Temps are still falling rather rapidly. Down to 35.6*F here.

Biggest flakes I have ever seen in my life are falling now. Looks like a bunch of cotton balls falling outside. Remarkable. Dusting on the grass now. If only it were December. Dry air is coming at us fast. 33.8*F.

• Like 3

Coming down pretty hard in Omaha right now, snow now sticking on the grass and especially on elevated surfaces.

Went into church this morning with light snow flurries falling and nothing sticking, to now most everything has a thin coating of snow on it outside of the concrete surfaces.

• Like 2