Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

December 2018 Observations and Discussion

* * * * - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply

Stormhunter87

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:14 AM

Stormhunter87

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationPapillon, NE
NAM just now starting to see the weekend storm. 540 line pretty far north 00z Saturday

Tony

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:22 AM

Tony

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationDuPage County

With this current snowpack we have as well as the snow that's about to hit north of us, I believe the cold air in place will take longer to erode than what the models are currently seeing. I also don't see, as of now, a huge push north of WAA so temps should be tempered a bit.

• Illinois_WX likes this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:33 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

The NAM at 84 hours is showing a mixed bag of precipitation in the Central Plains and that is when it is just arriving.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves with the 2nd storm on its heels.

St Paul Storm

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:38 AM

St Paul Storm

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2035 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
12z ICON with a 987mb in N/C MO., west of previous runs. Then the second low early Tuesday catches up with some leftover moisture and it crosses Chicago

LNK_Weather

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:43 AM

LNK_Weather

Opinions don't care about your feelings

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4174 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE (The Shaft City)
Euro is pretty consistent in saying "What secondary wave?"

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5"), 11/17 (2.6"), 11/25 (3.6"), 12/1-2 (3.0"), 12/28 (2.4"), 1/11-12 (4.9"), 1/22 (3.9")

Total Snowfall for 2018-2019 @ KLNK: 25.4"             Coldest Low: 4*F

First flake of the season: 10/14/2018 @ 7:01 AM CDT       

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 6 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 5 (Last: 9/20/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 9 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Stormhunter87

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:47 AM

Stormhunter87

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationPapillon, NE

Euro is pretty consistent in saying "What secondary wave?"

So odd because even winter prediction center is seeing the second wave and like it better than the first storm for snow.

East Dubzz

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:48 AM

East Dubzz

Daily Contributor

• Mods
  • 2193 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA
Should we start a thread on this event? Seems reasonable at this time.
  • Tom likes this

CentralNebWeather

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

Should we start a thread on this event? Seems reasonable at this time.

Sounds good to me.  

Niko

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:53 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

This system for the weekend looking really good for the plains and upper midwest. Great track. Heavy, soaking, rain for my area w temps in the 40s. Turns colder after the passage of the storm and looks like the cold air stays put afterwards.

CentralNebWeather

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:54 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

ICON is a decent shot around here for starters.  I'm sure there are many changes yet to come.  How much falls as rain vs. snow in the 1st storm and does a 2nd storm come up with colder air around or is there a 2nd storm at all.  

Stacsh

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:59 AM

Stacsh

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationGrand Haven, MI

Steady extremely light snow falling to fluff up the snow already on the ground.  Looks like a significant LES event following the next couple storms for the end of next week.  December will be pretty white around here. (Well after it disappears this coming weekend).  

• jaster220 likes this

LNK_Weather

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:02 AM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4174 posts
Platte River crush job with the first wave on GFS. Models seem to be trending colder. NAM even has us at the freezing mark at the end of the run.
  • Tom and Clinton like this

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5"), 11/17 (2.6"), 11/25 (3.6"), 12/1-2 (3.0"), 12/28 (2.4"), 1/11-12 (4.9"), 1/22 (3.9")

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Niko

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:02 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Steady extremely light snow falling to fluff up the snow already on the ground.  Looks like a significant LES event following the next couple storms for the end of next week.  December will be pretty white around here. (Well after it disappears this coming weekend).  

December is looking great here in our neck of the woods. Unfortunately, this weekend, will be a soaker (especially Saturday) w temps in the 40s w hvy rain. It gets better thereafter.

East Dubzz

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:07 AM

East Dubzz

Daily Contributor

• Mods
  • 2193 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA
Well, 12z GFS was.. interesting. Actually does bring a decent amount of snow to my area, though the cutoff is sharp. Not sure how well it’s handling the temps, but at least there’s a chance of snow, I suppose.

St Paul Storm

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

St Paul Storm

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2035 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN
12z GEM says two storms? Let’s combine them into one monster.
  • jaster220 likes this

Stormhunter87

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

Stormhunter87

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationPapillon, NE
Okay this GFS run is very odd. Starts off warm and then changes quickly, which that 540 line seems to far north to happen. Then that second storm comes through and dumps a ton, but it appears way to south for me to by it. Very odd indeed. I don't mind it but I'm hard pressed to buy it

East Dubzz

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:26 AM

East Dubzz

Daily Contributor

• Mods
  • 2193 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA
Started a new thread for the storm: http://theweatherfor...d-great-plains/
  • LNK_Weather likes this

Stacsh

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

Stacsh

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationGrand Haven, MI

Okay this GFS run is very odd. Starts off warm and then changes quickly, which that 540 line seems to far north to happen. Then that second storm comes through and dumps a ton, but it appears way to south for me to by it. Very odd indeed. I don't mind it but I'm hard pressed to buy it

It seems to have a fairly strong High to the north in place by the time the second wave comes in. Not sure I buy it yet either.  

• Stormhunter87 likes this

someweatherdude

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:34 AM

someweatherdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationKC

Anyone know whether any of the major models use any form of AI?  Probably not.  But maybe someday.  For example, with the Sunday/Monday storm, the FV-3 was consistently too far north the week before the storm.  For me in KC, the more southern track made all the difference in the world.  It would be very cool if the model could learn from its mistakes and try to work out it's biases.  

Tony

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

Tony

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
  • LocationDuPage County

After the weekend rain it looks like a nice LES setting up for Northeast IL for a good 24hrs for Monday into Tuesday. Most of the models have been showing this for the past couple days. At least it will be snowing to start the 1st week of December.

The 12z ICON has it going for about 48hrs. Should be an interesting setup.

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

@Jaster

1st week of December looks cold and some snow chances. Depending on track. You will likely get LES, so heads up there buddy. ;)

• jaster220 and Clinton like this

Stormhunter87

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

Stormhunter87

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationPapillon, NE
Seeing another storm around the 12th >.> Definitely going to get cold.

james1976

Posted 29 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

james1976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4751 posts
  • LocationAplington, IA

Seeing another storm around the 12th >.> Definitely going to get cold.

Yeah that thing has been showing up for a while. Anyone remember which system it would have been in the first cycle?

Tom

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:52 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17937 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

I took a gander at the Euro Weeklies and overall agree with a somewhat pullback during the middle of the month.  I've seen this type of pattern before during the development of the LRC this Autumn.  I will say, this type of pattern is known to deliver a favorable storm track across the sub as ridging forms across Canada while the jet cuts underneath across the CONUS.  While this ridging develops, I believe we will see a big SSW event over the pole mid month.  As is typical during these events, we usually see a relaxation of extreme cold while it reloads during the later half of the month.  I think right around the Winter Solstice or Christmas week there will be a very active period that should lay down the snow right before the extreme cold begins to invade Canada and the eastern CONUS.

• gabel23 and LNK_Weather like this

Niko

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:17 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

December looks cold during the 1st week. End of week looks interesting. Have to watch that piece of energy

Tom

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:15 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17937 posts

Alright guys, I think I figured out the cycle length and I'm pretty convinced of it now knowing where this weekends system is tracking and deepening.  Earlier on, I though the pattern around Thanksgiving resembled what we saw in early Oct or even this past weeks Blizzard, but at 500mb it didn't make sense to me.  With that in mind, check out this 500mb at 12z Sat and it clearly has all the details we saw back in early Oct (7th-10th).  Of note, notice the NE PAC ridge, the ridge out ahead of the storm system near the EC and most importantly, the closed low centered right over KC.

gfs_z500a_namer_5.png

The Oct 7th-10 storm system was a slow mover and first targeted the 4 corners on the 7th and ejected out slowly over the TX Panhandle which brought flooding rains into the S plains and a similar pattern is shaping up across the Arklatex region this weekend.  This SLP tracked from the TX Panhandle while going neg tilt across KC/C IA/N WI, all awhile, a blocking HP was centered due north of the system across S Canada.  This is why, earlier on, I was really paying attention to this blocking signal and the models did in fact correct to this as we got closer in time.  

With that being said, this year's cycle may be closer to the 55 day range, give or take a few days.  Now, what happens next???  Well, we should see a light/mod precip event break out into the Plains/MW/GL's a couple days later around the 6th/7th.  After that???  We will likely see another trough target So Cal/4 corners region a couple days after that (7th/8th).  There will also be a deep trough knifing down the leeward side of the Rockies while the trough hits the 4 corners region and this will prob be our next Winter Storm potential.  Fun times.

• gabel23, jaster220, indianajohn and 1 other like this

Niko

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

December has potential for a lot of posters on here in terms of snow. Some big dogs are on the table.

• jaster220, indianajohn and Clinton like this

Clinton

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:29 AM

Clinton

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationWarrensburg, MO

Alright guys, I think I figured out the cycle length and I'm pretty convinced of it now knowing where this weekends system is tracking and deepening.  Earlier on, I though the pattern around Thanksgiving resembled what we saw in early Oct or even this past weeks Blizzard, but at 500mb it didn't make sense to me.  With that in mind, check out this 500mb at 12z Sat and it clearly has all the details we saw back in early Oct (7th-10th).  Of note, notice the NE PAC ridge, the ridge out ahead of the storm system near the EC and most importantly, the closed low centered right over KC.

gfs_z500a_namer_5.png

The Oct 7th-10 storm system was a slow mover and first targeted the 4 corners on the 7th and ejected out slowly over the TX Panhandle which brought flooding rains into the S plains and a similar pattern is shaping up across the Arklatex region this weekend.  This SLP tracked from the TX Panhandle while going neg tilt across KC/C IA/N WI, all awhile, a blocking HP was centered due north of the system across S Canada.  This is why, earlier on, I was really paying attention to this blocking signal and the models did in fact correct to this as we got closer in time.  

With that being said, this year's cycle may be closer to the 55 day range, give or take a few days.  Now, what happens next???  Well, we should see a light/mod precip event break out into the Plains/MW/GL's a couple days later around the 6th/7th.  After that???  We will likely see another trough target So Cal/4 corners region a couple days after that (7th/8th).  There will also be a deep trough knifing down the leeward side of the Rockies while the trough hits the 4 corners region and this will prob be our next Winter Storm potential.  Fun times.

Tom, you may be right but when I look at the 500mb level I come up with a shorter cycle.  I believe the pattern began to change or mix in back in Sept.  I believe it may be around 34-38 days with an average cycle of 36 days.

Compare these 3 maps
https://www.spc.noaa...0_180919_12.gif
https://www.spc.noaa...0_181023_12.gif
https://www.spc.noaa...0_181130_00.gif

jaster220

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

jaster220

St. Joseph Lighthouse January 2014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5923 posts
  • LocationKRMY (Marshall, MI) KJXN (work)

gfs_z500a_namer_5.png

Nice work amigo. Did you tell Gary yet?  ;)

• Tom and Clinton like this

Winter 2018-19 Snow Total = 26.1"  Largest Storm: 7" (1/18-19)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 15.2 Dec: 2.0 Jan: 8.9 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0 

Annual avg for mby = 49.9"  Avg for last 10 seasons = 67.4" (135% of normal)

2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

Notable Blizzards/Snowstorms in SWMI: Nov 2015, Feb 2015, Jan 2014Feb 2011, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Jan 1982, Jan 1979, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, March 1973, Jan 1967, March 1947, Jan 1918

"Long range winter forecasting - it's like tossing darts in a hurricane.."  "In my day, they didn't name 'em, they just called 'em blizzards! *Shakes fist in air and ambles away mumbling to himself" and to think kids nowadays get day's off school because the wind blew. I think in '78 we only got 1 day off”  "..It's the U.P. where there are two seasons. Winter, and three months of bad skiing.."

Tom

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:23 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17937 posts

Tom, you may be right but when I look at the 500mb level I come up with a shorter cycle. I believe the pattern began to change or mix in back in Sept. I believe it may be around 34-38 days with an average cycle of 36 days.
Compare these 3 maps
https://www.spc.noaa...0_180919_12.gif
https://www.spc.noaa...0_181023_12.gif
https://www.spc.noaa...0_181130_00.gif

The only problem I see with this is that you are using maps from late Sept and according to Gary’s theory, you can only start a cycle during the 1st week of Oct.
  • jaster220 likes this

Clinton

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:44 PM

Clinton

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationWarrensburg, MO

The only problem I see with this is that you are using maps from late Sept and according to Gary’s theory, you can only start a cycle during the 1st week of Oct.

He has recently said that there is a transition phase in the pattern that most likely begins in late August and Sept.  The pattern doesn't go old/new over night, in Sept there is the old pattern still cycling and some of the new features developing for the new patteren.  By the first week of Oct the new pattern is cycling with no influence from the old pattern.  I hope this make since. 

• Niko and jaster220 like this

Tom

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 17937 posts

He has recently said that there is a transition phase in the pattern that most likely begins in late August and Sept. The pattern doesn't go old/new over night, in Sept there is the old pattern still cycling and some of the new features developing for the new patteren. By the first week of Oct the new pattern is cycling with no influence from the old pattern. I hope this make since.

I totally understand and I’ve commented about these changes in the LRC in the Sept thread. However, Gary has never used a pattern in Sept to develope the cycle length. It usually snaps into the new cycle right around the 6th or so every year. Coincidentally, when the sun sets across the North Pole. So, with all that in mind, the Oct 7th-10th period resembles when I think the 1st day’s of the cycle began.
  • jaster220, OKwx2k4 and Clinton like this

westMJim

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:52 PM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

Not to be a downer but here is the latest CPC's long range guess for December 2018

http://www.cpc.noaa....dictions/30day/

LNK_Weather

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

LNK_Weather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4174 posts

Not to be a downer but here is the latest CPC's long range guess for December 2018

http://www.cpc.noaa....dictions/30day/

I agree with that based on Euro weeklies.
  • Niko likes this

bud2380

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

bud2380

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2259 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, IA

18z GFS with a weak but widespread snow maker for next weekend.  Probably won't materialize, but something to keep an eye on the next few days.

snku_024h.us_mw.png

• Niko likes this

East Dubzz

Posted 30 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

East Dubzz

Daily Contributor

• Mods
  • 2193 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA

18z GFS with a weak but widespread snow maker for next weekend. Probably won't materialize, but something to keep an eye on the next few days.

snku_024h.us_mw.png

What is this garbage.
  • LNK_Weather likes this

Niko

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

My forecast stays dry and quite cold next week after the weekend rainstorm. Dry as can be. :huh:

Niko

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:48 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

December can provide some good snows, but for my area, it looks bleak for now. Hopefully, it changes and I am sure it will.

Stormhunter87

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:26 PM

Stormhunter87

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationPapillon, NE

December can provide some good snows, but for my area, it looks bleak for now. Hopefully, it changes and I am sure it will.

Don't know MI climate that well, but normally our fun kicks off around Christmas and runs through march. Based on this pattern who knows but got a feeling for a fun winter.

jaster220

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5923 posts

Don't know MI climate that well, but normally our fun kicks off around Christmas and runs through march. Based on this pattern who knows but got a feeling for a fun winter.

As little action as some winters bring, I feel like I just had winter. As for climo here, we also have a core period from mid-Dec to mid-March for SWMI. The past 2 Dec's have been good tho and started right after the first week. We may have just seen Nov and Dec swap this year the way outlooks are going. Only time will tell ofc

• Sparky likes this

Winter 2018-19 Snow Total = 26.1"  Largest Storm: 7" (1/18-19)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 15.2 Dec: 2.0 Jan: 8.9 Feb: 0.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0 

2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

Notable Blizzards/Snowstorms in SWMI: Nov 2015, Feb 2015, Jan 2014Feb 2011, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Jan 1982, Jan 1979, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, March 1973, Jan 1967, March 1947, Jan 1918

"Long range winter forecasting - it's like tossing darts in a hurricane.."  "In my day, they didn't name 'em, they just called 'em blizzards! *Shakes fist in air and ambles away mumbling to himself" and to think kids nowadays get day's off school because the wind blew. I think in '78 we only got 1 day off”  "..It's the U.P. where there are two seasons. Winter, and three months of bad skiing.."

jaster220

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

jaster220

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5923 posts

I agree with that based on Euro weeklies.

Doen't look that bad out your way. You can prolly tolerate slight AN temps in Dec vs here. Your issue seems to be more about decent qpf and they have Neb AN during the period. Could work out for ya

• LNK_Weather and snowstorm83 like this

Niko

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:52 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Me too!    2013-14 would be nice again

• jaster220 likes this

Niko

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Rain coming straight up from the south towards MI and lots of it. Rain and temps in the 30s sure make it raw...UGH!

westMJim

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:49 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1281 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

Welcome to meteorological winter. Here is the unofficial  summary for the month of November 2018. It was a cold and snowy month all across western and central Michigan. At Grand Rapids the mean of 34.6° was the 10th coldest November on record. The maximum for the month was a new record coldest at 52° the low for the month was 20° there was 14.4” of snow fall that is good for 17th place. At Muskegon the mean for the month was 35.5° that is good for the 7th coldest on record.  The highest reading was just 51° and that is good for a new record coldest maximum. Muskegon reported 12.5” of snow fall. At Kalamazoo the mean of 34.6° is good for the 5th  coldest on record there. The warmest it got in Kzoo was just 54° and that is good for the 2nd coldest on record there. And at Lansing the mean was 33.6° that is good for the 9th coldest on record there. The warmest reading all month was 53° and that is good for the 2nd coldest maximum in recorded history. They had 11.9” of snow fall that is good for 13th place. Should be noted that records have been kept at Lansing since 1863.

Niko

Posted 01 December 2018 - 06:38 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Currently cloudy and temp of 34F. Rain on the way.

snowstorm83

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:28 AM

snowstorm83

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

Doen't look that bad out your way. You can prolly tolerate slight AN temps in Dec vs here. Your issue seems to be more about decent qpf and they have Neb AN during the period. Could work out for ya

Mild winters are known to produce big snowfalls here. Feb 4 2012 dropped a foot of snow in an otherwise mild and uneventful winter.

• jaster220 likes this

FV-Mike

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:16 PM

FV-Mike

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationGeneva,IL

LOT update on the clipper later this week

A couple of cold days are on tap for Tuesday and Wednesday. Models
in decent agreement regarding the occurrence of a clipper type
system on Thursday, with still some timing differnces as the

GFS/EC hit the morning/early afternoon timeframe, while the CMC is
a bit earlier. Regardless, there is a good signal for a period of
light accumulating snow during this time.

badgerwx

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

badgerwx

Forum Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Sadly it looks like we will have a green Christmas in SW Wisconsin :(

Niko

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Lets see how the clipper performs later next week. As of now, it looks weak.

Niko

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6025 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Currently cloudy w a temp of 35F.  A few showers here and there.

Break out the shorts tomorrow as temps approach 50F b4 they start falling later in the day.