December 2018 Observations and Discussion

Minny_Weather

I can't hold back what I'm seeing across the N PAC and the BSR is lining up quite a parade of storms during the opening couple weeks of January.  While this particular storm is predicted to develop Day 8-10, check out this beauty of a beast targeting the Aleutians....I'll give you a clue as to what this storm fits...Nov Blizzard???  Look for it Jan 15th-18th and an ideal track across the S Plains into the MW/OV.

• Like 6

On mobile version, so tough to quote others, (SPS quote of MPX AFD) but oddly the Ukmet is also in line with GEM and GFS and not in step with it's big brother, the Euro.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I ripped on NWS Hastings yesterday morning but I will agree with them today. Models are so off of each other and change so dramatically from run to run, it is difficult to forecast. One example they mentioned was one model having the low on Wednesday 400 miles difference in location from one run to the next run.

• Like 1

^ This is something I have not seen all winter.( Euro and UKMET this far apart)

You know Grizz, as a non weather tech person, I've been observing how this winter is behaving curiously like 2009 in the Southern Plains. I'm expecting some serious cold and snow potential for Texas.

We've received 61.1" of rainfall in Ft. Worth so far this year. This is almost double our average rainfall and a great deal of moisture in the southern atmosphere. We're currently in our "Christmas break" weatherwise with mild temps and partly cloudy skies, but Texas has a way of lulling you into a false comfort zone just before it kicks your arse.

This is MY forecast for January as verily I say, arses shall be kicked! The south will see some action from this weather washing machine action

It's just a matter of time.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Cloudy and dismal w temps in the 30s. Roads are wet.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I have a gut feeling like the 06Z FV3's scenario is PROBABLY what's going to happen. Starting off with a bit of slop here then changing over to all rain for the rest of the storm.I wouldn't mind that, either. That'd make the 27th less painful of a traveling day for me, and it would build the snowpack up North.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I have a gut feeling like the 06Z FV3's scenario is PROBABLY what's going to happen. Starting off with a bit of slop here then changing over to all rain for the rest of the storm.I wouldn't mind that, either. That'd make the 27th less painful of a traveling day for me, and it would build the snowpack up North.

As St. Paul Storm mentioned earlier, this model has been the most consistent with the storm.  Doesn't mean there won't be changes in the next 5 days.  Yesterday and last night's models were all over the place and different from previous runs to the point you barely recognized the pattern.

Euro is showing basically as close as we can possibly get to real cold without a snowpack at the end of the month. In addition, basically all of North Dakota is -20 or lower. What's interesting is it looks like it tries to form a clipper at the end of the run rather than the Panhandle Hook the FV3 wants to happen.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

As St. Paul Storm mentioned earlier, this model has been the most consistent with the storm.  Doesn't mean there won't be changes in the next 5 days.  Yesterday and last night's models were all over the place and different from previous runs to the point you barely recognized the pattern.

Yeah. Some people from here may not be happy with that, but building the snowpack up North in the Dakotas and Manitoba & Saskatchewan is key right now. Once that happens, we have a better chance for cold as well as storms. Hard for either of those to happen when parts of Manitoba are looking at a brown Christmas.

• Like 1

As a older person I have to sit back and wonder if in reality weather guessing in the long range (5 to 10 days out) is any better now then it was 40 years ago?  It just is not we have several models to look at and then guess if any of them line up with what we what to happen. While it is nice to have these "tools" to look at in the end it is still mother nature that will have the final say. 

With that said Happy "Official" start to the winter season of  2018/19

• Like 1

What's that snow in IA from?

I fully expect this storm to cut hard across IA and dump snow in the Dakotas, NE and MN. There's no snowcover up there and nothing to stop it. The SE solution would definitely surprise me.

The first round of precip is snow before it changes to rain as the low cuts up by you guys

• Like 1

GFS Hour 144 Low is over Lincoln.  Not ideal for many.

Gem takes the low into eastern NE and western IA

Gem occludes the low over Iowa and looks like it dumps some snow on Eastern Nebraska. GFS straight cuts it up to the northeast dry slotting us. Lots of moving parts with this thing; I'll be honest with you I hope we miss out on this storm because our holiday tournament is next week and we need those games! 

A healthy below normal bullseye around Lake Superior is interesting to me. Maybe the model doesn't consider lake effect snow? Or maybe the model doesn't see much in the way of N-NW winds?

This map may be giving us a clue of where we are heading in January....Euro seasonal snowfall anomaly...

Du3CZCbXQAEuc-l.jpg

• Like 1

A healthy below normal bullseye around Lake Superior is interesting to me. Maybe the model doesn't consider lake effect snow? Or maybe the model doesn't see much in the way of N-NW winds?

Good question, not quite sure why...maybe it's see a lot of HP over S Canada....

• Like 1

From the models I am seeing today and if the trends continue, my area of Central Nebraska will be riding the edge.  I could see all rain, mix, thunderstorms, possibly some heavy snow.  I'm actually kind of excited to see a storm like this.  As has been mentioned earlier, if we don't have that snowpack farther north, we won't have the cold we need for the exciting storms down the road.  In this area that is late January, February and March.  (lately April)

• Like 1