12/01 - 12/02 Winter Rain / Snow Storm

East Dubzz

My location is literally in the jack zone for precipitation. Heavy rain continues to fall and we've gotten over an inch already with heavy rain continuing to pivot through. I'm really pissed that all this is being wasted on rain.

As of an hour ago had 1/2” of rain with 2.5” of precipitation to go (according to qpf forecast.) Figure another couple hours of rain comes to a total of 1.5” at most.....you still have another inch to go for a max of 10 of snow figuring a 10-1 ratio. If we can get some dynamic cooling occurring this morning snow can pile up rather quickly. Plus we have those thunderstorms wrapping back into the comma head; this is a very mature cyclone that can throw a lot of surprises at us. Or we are gonna have one hell of a rain storm to open up December. Side note @Tom; this has to be the first cycle in the LRC as I got 2.7” of rain on October 7th thru the 10th

• Like 1

Wow...3km NAM going absolutely ape s**t.

nam3km_asnow_ncus_38.png

To me it appears the short range models are slowing this system down. My percentage for snow from Hastings has gone up with their last update by 3”! Snow looks to wrap around the comma head into Sunday, we might have a surprise on our hands.

C0A891FF-0A7E-4609-8C4D-3C92E46E3CC5.png

• Like 1

Been snowing here an hour or so and we've got a coating now. Hoping some better returns pivot through later. Definitely not behind schedule. NWS had all rain until after noon a couple hours ago. Let's see if it stays snow as we head into the afternoon.

Very heavy band coming through here, snowing like crazy and the wind is increasing. You are correct, if it stays snow we should get really good amounts.

A very nice write up this morning from MPX that explains this system:

An absolutely beautiful winter storm on water vapor imagery was

lifting north into southern Kansas this morning, with a pronounced

trowal already in place. This storm has everything going for it to

become a classic early winter high impact blizzard, but it`s missing

one key ingredient, arctic air. Broad ridging, with a rex block

trying to form over the Canadian Prairies has shut off the arctic

from us and this has two key impacts that will limit the bite of the

storm. First, model soundings show winds in excess of 50 kts down

to 1500 ft AGL, but without strong CAA to the north of the low, we

are not developing a well mixed, deep CAA boundary layer, so we are

not tapping into these stronger winds. In addition, in the summer,

storms live off of convective instability, in winter, it`s

baroclinic instability that feeds these low pressure systems. With

no arctic air, we don`t have that baroclinic instability, which is

why this storm will be rapidly losing steam just as it starts to

impact southern MN, just as convection in the summer fizzles once it

becomes removed from the convective instability feeding it

• Like 3

Still have a very bad feeling about this. I'm at 37.0*F and temps are doing absolutely nothing at all. The storm is at its strongest. Like Clint said earlier, I'm pissed that we're wasting the best of this storm on rain. And the changeover may not occur until sunset tonight which would set us up for only backside snow.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Still have a very bad feeling about this. I'm at 37.0*F and temps are doing absolutely nothing at all. The storm is at its strongest. Like Clint said earlier, I'm pissed that we're wasting the best of this storm on rain. And the changeover may not occur until sunset tonight which would set us up for only backside snow.

Need the low to move east. I know how you feel. This is a lot of wasted moisture at 37 degrees for eastern Nebraska. Been there before, it stinks.

Lots of warm air still. Even areas it’s snowing in NE look to be between 33-35 degrees at the surface. That’s gonna cut into snow totals if it can’t drop to 32 or lower. Those of you in Lincoln and Omaha have little hope and frankly never did. Sorry. I’m rooting for a surprise for you but I don’t see it happening.

Lots of warm air still. Even areas it’s snowing in NE look to be between 33-35 degrees at the surface. That’s gonna cut into snow totals if it can’t drop to 32 or lower. Those of you in Lincoln and Omaha have little hope and frankly never did. Sorry. I’m rooting for a surprise for you but I don’t see it happening.

I wouldn't say we never had hope. Like I said before, thermals are a very nowcast type thing and I stand by that statement. We are in the shitter now and I have zero hope of getting anything higher than 3" of snow.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.