2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Nice winter weather for the unofficial start of summer, but our summer is really the middle of July to the end of October. Very few places have a cooler May average than October.

Still am thinking a cool and troughy summer with little monsoon activity, and highs below 80 some days for KCQT/KFUL and the biggest heat waves after the Fall Equinox

Absolutely nobody here had a single word to say about today's storm. Amazing!

...LOWEST MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE RECORDS BROKEN OR TIED ON MAY 26 2019 ...LOCATION             NEW RECORD         OLD RECORD        PERIOD OF RECORDSANTA ANA                61             64 IN 1943              1906VISTA                    61             65 IN 1970              1957CHULA VISTA              61    TIED     61 IN 1921              1918RIVERSIDE                61             67 IN 2008              1893ESCONDIDO                62             63 IN 2012              1893RAMONA                   57             61 IN 1987              1974ALPINE                   54             58 IN 1987              1951EL CAJON                 61             65 IN 2001              1979BIG BEAR                 44             47 IN 1987              1960IDYLLWILD                45    TIED     45 IN 1987              1943CAMPO                    55             59 IN 1962              1948INDIO                    76             77 IN 2012              1894BORREGO                  73             74 IN 1998              1942...DAILY PRECIP RECORDS BROKEN OR TIED ON MAY 26 2019 ...LOCATION             NEW RECORD         OLD RECORD        PERIOD OF RECORDIDYLLWILD               0.05         0.01 IN 2012              1943

...RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES ACROSS SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIATODAY...DATE   LOCATION               HI TEMP      OLD RECORD05/26  LOS ANGELES DOWNTOWN     62         63 SET IN 1947 AND 191805/26  LOS ANGELES INTL AP      62 (TIED)  62 SET IN 1982 AND 194705/26  LONG BEACH AP            62         66 SET IN 196205/26  BURBANK AP               58         62 SET IN 196205/26  WOODLAND HILLS           60         65 SET IN 199805/26  UCLA                     60         61 SET IN 196205/26  LANCASTER FOX FIELD      59         61 SET IN 199805/26  PALMDALE AP              64 (TIED)  64 SET IN 199805/26  SANDBERG                 45         47 SET IN 1998 AND 196205/26  PASO ROBLES AP           65         66 SET IN 2012, 1998,                                              1985, AND 1962

This run of cool, wet May weather in California has indeed been remarkable, but only in the light of recent years in which it has seemed like the only achievable anomalies have been warm, dry ones.

It's nice to see some daily low-max temp records set, and a top-20 monthly anomaly on the cool end of the spectrum for a change, but these would simply be business as usual if they were warm anomalies.

I can remember numerous daily record highs, both maximum and minimum, being set over the last 7 years.  How many of the 84 months over that time period do you suppose ranked in the top warmest 20?  I'd guess that more than half of them did.

Still, it's always nice in what seems to be a changing climate when any capability of achieving new cold records is demonstrated.

Could call it a Miracle May, especially up north. Problem is if any resemblance of summer heat decides to kick in soon, all the melting Sierra snow will flood rivers and possibly some areas of the Central Valley.

Also not sure why 4 out of the last 5 Mays have been well below normal. Climate change seems to favor late spring West Coast troughing and dry and warm winters. While the last 4 years were well above average overall, 3 out of 4 of them had May temperatures (at least highs) well below average.

Thunder98, Dan the Weatherman? How much rain did you get?

I only managed to pick up 0.01" here in Orange with this storm. There were only a couple periods of light rain here in Orange and it seemed that most of this storm somehow missed my area.

I have been posting much more frequently on Weather West and I have been forgetting to post on this forum, especially this past winter and spring season. That is the reason I have been absent as of late despite exciting weather in Socal. I will try to remember to post some things on here in the future when the weather pattern turns exciting once again.

• Like 1

San Diego is only -0.1 below the monthly average for this May so far, while most other places are far below. However, numerous days of reverse clearing probably have led to more sunshine near the coast than is normal for this time of year while the same reverse clearing pattern inland has kept them WELL below normal and much cloudier than normal and even cooler than the coastal areas. This may explain why closer to the coast, jacarandas are in full bloom while in Lake Forest look like they are half dead.

stpo.png

Downtown LA had a daytime low of 49 on Memorial Day. It is the first time Downtown LA had a low temp below 50 degrees in the month of May since 1967.

A bit suspicious of this, however, as I would not be surprised to see below 50 F near the beginning of May at least once every couple of years. Also, it was not included in the Daily Record Report for NWS Los Angeles. Here is a link to the full article from WaPo.

California cold: Record-breaking chilly and wet weather settles in, along with a hefty snowpack

Today Downtown L.A. reached a high of 77 F early morning, before mysterious falling back down to 69 F by early afternoon. Temperatures went back up somewhat after that.

• Like 1