2019 California and Southwest Weather Discussion Thread

Thunder98

Forecast high for Downtown L.A. is 73 F, which is 2 degrees shy of what is needed to keep the monthly average high 70 F or higher. It could always be a few degrees lower or higher. Pretty likely though it will be the 22nd May since 1877 with the average high below 70. We'll know by sunset today.

The coolest May in 42 years is pretty much a given as it's already too warm this morning to average cooler than 69.16 F for the month (1946) and we'd need to reach the 80s to get it above 70.39 (1999).

Temecula's average high for May 2019 was only 71.0 F, which was much lower than April's 75.9 F and was also the coolest average high for May since at least 1999 there (beating out May 2011's avg high of 73.7 F). As a whole, May 2011 was still just barely cooler at 60.1 F, as opposed to this month's 60.4 F in Temecula. 

This was one of the only times May was actually cooler than April in Temecula (April 2019 was 61.9 F in Temecula versus May's 60.4 F).

Two nearly identical days this weekend with June Gloom, drizzle or light rain in the morning, brighter skies in the afternoon but absolutely no sunshine. It got sort of warm mid afternoon today and I decided to roll up my jeans and stroll into the creek. It's a pretty place we have here in Lake Forest.

20190602_223506.jpg
20190602_223538.jpg

• Like 1

I'd be very interested to know the last date that Southern California did not get any rain somewhere. Whether it be marine layer drizzle, late season Pacific storms, or thunderstorms over the mountains, I cannot remember the last day that none of these occurred.

And BTW, the hills did not become green from the May rain. At least the February rain gave us some of the most beautiful wildflowers in years.

Clouds look to be breaking up about an hour earlier today than yesterday. Pretty pathetic ridge as marine layer is still 3000 ft. deep.

Looks like the persistent blocking pattern of the last month or so could finally be ending by next week. That should hopefully bring better weather to all of the United States, as the same pattern that brought us "Mayuary" also caused many weeks of severe weather in the middle of the country.