January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

There will be a lot of people mowing grass by the end of January/first of February...guess I better get busy with repairing/prepping my mower.

Just had all my grass removed!

42* back home

76* Oahu and windy...according to weatherman we may get roughed up and deluged

Hoping for Thunderstorm later on

Doing a rainfall update at the end of a dry period here per Jared's instructions. :)

Total rain overnight here was .05 and total rain for the last week has been .05

But the rainy season has been almost perfectly normal here in terms of total precipitation and days with precipitation.

Using the Cedar Lake station (2 miles east of here):

October 9.91 (+0.29)

November 13.70 (-0.24)

December 15.80 (+1.75)

First half of January 5.69 (-1.01)

Total rain since October 1st is now 45.10 inches which is +0.79 above normal.

But here is the most important statistic to me personally... number of dry days.

October - 14 (normal is 15)

November - 10 (normal is 11)

December - 8 (normal is 10)

First half of January - 8 (normal is 5)

A total of 40 dry days this rainy season so far... and the normal is 41 dry days to this point.

No complaints from me at all in terms of rain this year. This rainy season has been the definition of climo in my area. And the dry periods have been evenly spread out each month.

So much better than some of the persistently wet winters we have had recently. I much prefer climo here!

I define rainy season as Nov-March.

For Hillsboro:

17 dry days in Nov (0.00 or trace)

12 dry days in Dec

8 dry days in Jan so far

So that’s 37 dry days this rainy season - not including October. A lot of additional days were under 1mm.

There were 18 dry days in October, just checked.

Up to 51. Time to get used to a bunch of highs in the 50s again ☹️

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Up to 51. Time to get used to a bunch of highs in the 50s again ☹️

Its been in the 50s up here for most of the last week.   Actually upper 50s on a few days.    Quite pleasant.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Its been in the 50s up here for most of the last week.   Actually upper 50s on a few days.    Quite pleasant.  

Inversions are nice. Except with ZR.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Breezy

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Yeah, atrocious 12z runs this morning. Barf city. If models look like this in 5-6 days, then you push out any goodies even further into February probably, but this is a complex pattern with the PV lobes/vortices shifting around rather wildly at times. We know how many times models have suddenly shifted within Day 7-8 of an event. I would think with the atmosphere state behaving as an ENSO-Neutral might allow for it. I wouldn't expect it, but I know we'll all be watching the models for it.

18z GFS in 21 minutes!

Tim still alive?

I posted a seasonal rainfall update this morning.     :)

But I do feel barely alive this week... I got sick on Monday and can't get over it.   I have been either shivering uncontrollably under a pile of blankets or sweating with a fan blowing on me... back and forth.     No temperature regulation as fever comes and goes.    Miserable.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not surprising at all that the snowpack around here would be doing ok on January 17th.  Last Nino a few years ago snowpack was above normal at this time of year.  In town we had a snowy December and early January.   It is what happens after mid January that is the worry.  Historically, things really dry up from this point on during El Nino.

Here in town we have a base of 13".  Have had one really good snow last week (10+ inches in two days), and then about 4 inches overnight and this morning.  Might be the last for awhile.

I posted a seasonal rainfall update this morning. :)

But I do feel barely alive this week... I got sick on Monday and can't get over it. I have been either shivering uncontrollably under a pile of blankets or sweating with a fan blowing on me... back and forth. No temperature regulation as fever comes and goes. Miserable.

Classic vitamin D overdose symptoms.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Watch the eastward adjustment of the Siberian vortex with time on the EPS. There’s your EAMT conduit. Opens up the Pacific a bit and you quickly get a +PNA.

ac965Am.gif

• Like 1

Watch the eastward adjustment of the Siberian vortex with time on the EPS. There’s your EAMT conduit. Opens up the Pacific a bit and you quickly get a +PNA.

ac965Am.gif

Forks!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

This could easily be a state-dependent overcorrection, as there is plenty of historical precedent for guidance to screw up over Eurasia.

However, if it continues this way, it will probably end up resembling February 2015, with extreme cold into the eastern half of North America, but not as much cold into the West.

No doubt there will be cold coming for North America, as the wavebreaking upstream and tropical forcing/SSW influence are all aligning that way, but its exact location is still quite uncertain (to state the obvious).

• Like 1

This could easily be a state-dependent overcorrection, as there is plenty of historical precedent for guidance to screw up over Eurasia.

However, if it continues this way, it will probably end up resembling February 2015, with extreme cold into the eastern half of North America, but not as much cold into the West.

No doubt there will be cold coming for North America, as the wavebreaking upstream and tropical forcing/SSW influence are all aligning that way, but its exact location is still quite uncertain (to state the obvious).

Crazy. Really didn’t see this coming considering 2014-15 was a niño and we are currently in a strong La Niña.

Hope to see a really detailed breakdown of exactly why we are getting screwed soon. Complete with pictures of the snow back east to really drive it home. ;)

There’s really a ~ 50/50 chance the former holds true. It’s not nearly as bleak as the models made it look today.

As for the latter, I won’t do that to you guys. Not now.

I posted a seasonal rainfall update this morning. :)

But I do feel barely alive this week... I got sick on Monday and can't get over it. I have been either shivering uncontrollably under a pile of blankets or sweating with a fan blowing on me... back and forth. No temperature regulation as fever comes and goes. Miserable.

That’s right I forgot about that post! Hope you get better soon! I have just been waiting for the flu to strike my house...probably more likely than an arctic blast...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!