January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Except the fork has been pretty well stuck into this one since the get-go. Can't kill something that was never alive!

Man you’re really rooting against this thing. :lol:

• Like 1

00z ECMWF in 15 minutes

A special message from our President about tonight's King EURO run.

"Everyone, to my friends, my foes, and everyone in between of the great and wonderful tremendous Americans of the Pacific Northwest,

This run is going to be bigly yuge with tremendous, just tremendous snow and the most incredible cold you've ever seen. Trust me. It'll be colder and snowier than anything you have ever seen. Just incredible and yuge. We're going to build a wall around Siberia, to Nunavut, and down through the mighty Canadian prairies and it will be the most glorious thing you've ever seen. This wall will continue to steer cold, arctic air down over our great friends in the Pacific Northwest. Just great people. Have you seen the Winter they've had recently? Not so good. No snow. Nothing. The Mountains aren't doing so good either. When it does snow there it's just incredible. The drivers, well not so good, but I have great yuge hopes for them. Have you seen this PDX WX Analysis group on social media? Just incredible. They are doing tremendous things over there. A lot of wishcasting. A lot of hopecasting. They have had to resort to a lot of silly meme and pictures. We hope to change that in the bigliest bigly yugest way possible. This is just the beginning of yugely bigly tremendous and incredible things."

- President Donald Trump

Think Cold and SNOW!!!! C'MON!!!!

⛄

President Trump, you've delivered lots of cold and snow to my area since you took office. Please do it again, don't let me down! Show everybody global warming is a hoax!

• Like 1

I dunno. 00z WRF-GFS takes that 974mb low towards Haida Gwaii. Meh. Gradient is weaker than a weight lifter in the Special Olympics. Meh

slp.33.0000.gif

Going to launch my 1986 Bayliner right now and head northwest to meet the center of the low!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Well at least there might be a windstorm tomorrow.

Only for Seattle, if anything. Down south we get skimped- even rain totals have been knocked down.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Nino winters be nino-like. We missed our window.

FWIW, this upcoming pattern isn’t really niño like. The antecedent structure of the AAM budget is, but the intraseasonal/MJO forcing is more niña-like, which is actually aiding in opening the conduit to Arctic cold into North America under the regime of z-cell tightening and equatorward AAM propagation following the SSW (which is clearly one of the underlying triggers for the large unloading of cold across the NH over the next several weeks).

Nice knowing you. I don’t like your odds.

That boat survived my teenage years which included showing off to my friends just how much air I could catch while playing MC Hammer’s “Can’t touch this” in that 19’ boat! It won’t let me down! Now I just need to find my Hammer cassette!
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

FWIW, this upcoming pattern isn’t really niño like. The antecedent structure of the AAM budget is, but the intraseasonal/MJO forcing is more niña-like, which is actually aiding in opening the conduit to Arctic cold into North America under the regime of z-cell tightening and equatorward AAM propagation following the SSW (which is clearly one of the underlying triggers for the large unloading of cold across the NH over the next several weeks).

Weird year!!!

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

That boat survived my teenage years which included showing off to my friends just how much air I could catch while playing MC Hammer’s “Can’t touch this” in that 19’ boat! It won’t let me down! Now I just need to find my Hammer cassette!

I assume you could get a lot of air off of 35ft waves.
  • Like 1

I made my sons watch this video so they might twice before they try to "catch air".   The people on the boat become rag dolls in the crash.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYX1rIe3SaQ

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I made my sons watch this video so they might twice before they try to "catch air". The people on the boat become rag dolls in the crash.

You better believe my kids will be watching that as well. That guy is such an amateur though...never hit waves at speed at that angle...

I don’t know how I survived growing up at the lake, the things my friends and I did...yikes! Thank goodness for grandparents that let their grandkids free roam!

Man, you're going to get clobbered hard at some point during the next month. We will all be living through you!

I hope so, man. I’m kinda worried the cold will become too overbearing with time, which can actually hurt our snow chances since it often suppresses the STJ.

• Like 1

18z GFS Ensembles

850mb Temperatures

Portland, Seattle, Yakima, Vancouver BC

DRAMATIC improvement in the long range. It means nothing though if we don't see this continue. If it does the next 3-4 days then we will have a trend we can build on. Cautiously optimistic!

Portland

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Portland_Oregon_USA_ens.png

Seattle

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Seattle_USA_ens.png

Yakima

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Yakima_USA_ens.png

Vancouver BC

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Vancouver_Kanada_ens.png

What parts are optimistic!

I made my sons watch this video so they might twice before they try to "catch air". The people on the boat become rag dolls in the crash.

The real reason for Dewey’s surgery^

The real reason for Dewey’s surgery^

He had to replace the metal plate in his head with a plastic one since every time his wife fired up the microwave Matt would piss his pants and forget who he was for a few hours.
  • Like 3