January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

Heavy rain and hail here. Breezy too. Fun!

Sun through high clouds here and dry... sort of breezy too. Looks like very little rain here until Tuesday now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z ECMWF shows we might sneak in a nice weekend next week... looks sunny with some offshore flow on the surface maps with highs near 60 in the well-mixed places like the coast and the foothills.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

There is now less than half of the snow that fell yesterday left on the ground. Been raining a lot here since last night.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

That is one butt ugly pattern for the west the last five days of the Euro. Don’t even think Kayla is going to get cold with this blocking episode. Maybe toward day 10.

Can still be a pretty decent pattern for here. Bozeman does really well while being on the western boundary of big Midwest troughs while being in the NNW flow. Would much rather see frequent snows than dry and below zero temps.

But yeah, still sucks to see this whole thing not retrograde. Models have really struggled with this pattern even for the folks back east.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

If we're lucky we will have to wait until February.

I have already seen cherry blossoms in Issaquah and just starting on a few trees here in North Bend.      Not really photo worthy yet though.    I am fine with waiting another 2 weeks.   :)

51 and partly sunny here.    I thought it would be more showery today.   The rain came down hard overnight but just completely stopped before dawn.

Over 7.5” of rain on the month now. Just 1” away from normal precip for all of January.

Gonna be another crappy January in terms of snow too. The last above average (8”) January was 2011.

Just under 5 inches here on the month.... almost certainly will end up well below normal given that that most of the rest of the month looks dry.    

To me the 12z runs were the same as if you are walking down the hallway about enter a room, but the Cat is in the litter box going poo and one of them is in mid-flight. It's just not anything you want to see before digesting a bountiful feast for lunch. As mentioned the pattern is junk. It seems to want to become progressive again and that won't work just seeing transitory ridging or then blocking over us. Barf. Onto 00z! That exclamation point does not equal excitement unfortunately.

18z GFS in 1 hour 11 minutes

• Like 1

Fred, plz ban. ^

Fred... please delete unnecessary posts like this.    

Someone who injects his personal opinions into almost every post he makes... should not throw stones at other people expressing their opinion.   

Fred... please delete unnecessary posts like this.

Someone who injects his personal opinions into almost every post he makes... should not throw stones at other people expressing their opinion.

Oh settle down. Fred made a humorous post a few months ago about anyone talking about cherry blossoms or posting pictures of them before winter was over resulting in a ban. At least I think he was joking. ;)

• Like 1

Oh settle down. Fred made a humorous post a few months ago about anyone talking about cherry blossoms or posting pictures of them before winter was over resulting in a ban. At least I think he was joking. ;)

Oh... whew!!   Thanks buddy.   I thought you were censoring people with opinions different than you.    So unlike you.   B)

Ohhhh you two! Santa is watching and Christmas is just 339 days away!

00z ECMWF in 9 hours 14 minutes

Saw the 00Z already, trash run.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Perhaps we will have a February 2018 repeat!

Or a February 2010 (or 2011 can’t remember the year)

Or a February 2007

Or any other February that has delivered.

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Perhaps we will have a February 2018 repeat!

Or a February 2010 (or 2011 can’t remember the year)

Or a February 2007

Or any other February that has delivered.

You might be thinking of February 2006 and 2011. I don’t think we had anything in 2007 or 2010. In other words they are probably better analogs!

I’m feeling a February 1923 may be in the works

What did that one have in store?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might be thinking of February 2006 and 2011. I don’t think we had anything in 2007 or 2010. In other words they are probably better analogs!

I have this picture with a time stamp on it...though it could be wrong I suppose. I didn’t keep very good records during that period. It was at the lake house.

4A9C79BF-DE3F-4D32-AFD4-6F956163F072.jpeg

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I have this picture with a time stamp on it...though it could be wrong I suppose. I didn’t keep very good records during that period. It was at the lake house.

I am pretty sure we had a good snowstorm here right at the end of February or maybe on March 1st in 2007.

A frigid first half of the month with a 40” overrunning snowfall on Valentine’s Day.

That's our analog!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife