Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

epiceast

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:06 AM

epiceast

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationMissoula, MT

Nah, there are some examples of the Columbia Basin staying quite cold in the lower levels in February (and even March). Just takes a unique setup and airmass.

I lived there for almost a decade and never saw non-marginal snow setup after January.  Actually only it probably only sowed after January maybe 3 or 4 times while i lived there, most of the time at night, even cold convection only brought graupel in tri-cities in March. I know last year probably destroyed all of that and then some, but that's because there was a deep persistent snowpack until early march across the vast majority of it that broke multi-decade records.

I'm thinking it was more of a hangover from a good winter rather than a fresh set-up.

BLI snowman

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:19 AM

BLI snowman

Lacking H20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8392 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

I lived there for almost a decade and never saw non-marginal snow setup after January.  Actually only it probably only sowed after January maybe 3 or 4 times while i lived there, most of the time at night, even cold convection only brought graupel in tri-cities in March. I know last year probably destroyed all of that and then some, but that's because there was a deep persistent snowpack until early march across the vast majority of it that broke multi-decade records.

I'm thinking it was more of a hangover from a good winter rather than a fresh set-up.

February 2014 was a long ways from marginal there. 19/6 at Pasco on February 6, and then a 27/25 day a few weeks later on March 2. And in 1993, Pasco had a 23/5 day on February 27, from a snowcover fueled cold pool.

wxmet

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:55 AM

wxmet

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
6z GFS resumes the snowstorm. It shows the trough farther northeast. Great result for western WA.
  • hawkstwelve likes this

Timmy

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:22 AM

Timmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3360 posts
  • LocationNorth Plains, OR - 1540ft

There is an eastward jog on the 6z... one could even say it's a notch further east. Let's see how the 12z models look

fv3 it’s noticable. Also cooler through weds. And it has a decent reload day 9-10