New Year's Storm

Tom

I know it will change and all-- and being in C.IA it still would only be a 1-3" event- but when the Ukie and Euro trend in the right direction at this time frame (sub 72hr) -- it's a good thing. Rather have the Ukie and Euro go this way than any other 2 models- every thing else being =. Good sign. But still need a solid 24-36 hours more before I can offciially get excited for 1-3". (Thats a big deal when you have had 2.7" for the entire winter) .

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Mkx disxo... doesn't sound promising to me?

Temps will rise a few degrees above freezing during the afternoon especially over se WI. Overall, more snow for pcpn type nw of MSN to more rain over se WI. Nly winds and low level cold advection will eventually cool temps enough for a transition to snow. As the system moves away Mon eve, a loss of ice crystals occurs due to a dry slot, thus light freezing rain or freezing drizzle may occur. In summary, light ice and snow accum is forecast with this system but the ensemble runs suggest wide ranging possibilities of snow accum. If a deeper low can occur, more snowfall would be expected.

Mkx disxo... doesn't sound promising to me?

Temps will rise a few degrees above freezing during the afternoon especially over se WI. Overall, more snow for pcpn type nw of MSN to more rain over se WI. Nly winds and low level cold advection will eventually cool temps enough for a transition to snow. As the system moves away Mon eve, a loss of ice crystals occurs due to a dry slot, thus light freezing rain or freezing drizzle may occur. In summary, light ice and snow accum is forecast with this system but the ensemble runs suggest wide ranging possibilities of snow accum. If a deeper low can occur, more snowfall would be expected.

I saw that too - I wonder if they are hedging their bets after that last “storm” where they issued a Winter Storm Warning for half an inch of snow. Playing it safer on this one perhaps?

Disregard my comment on the Ukie, I was somehow looking at a previous model run.  QPF is still high, 850s are cold enough to support snow, but it's almost impossible to tell for sure when/where the rain to snow line will setup or when a change to snow would happen.  Potential is there though.  

I'm actively rooting against this one. Last thing I need is a repeat of yesterday's driving conditions across Iowa.

31st is also a big travel day for me, coming back to Lincoln. Flying out of Memphis where there's supposed to be rain and storms and then a layover at MSP where it's gonna snow. Hooray

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Well, the euro is headed in the right direction.  About 0.30" qpf worth of snow is the best run so far for Cedar Rapids.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"