Welcome to our forums!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

Weather in 2019

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Phil

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22788 posts
  • LocationCabin John, MD.
Edited this post for sequence instead of writing a new one.

There was a HUGE blast of wind late last night that hit the house like a ton of bricks. It was a blustery night but that gust was a f**king nuke..like a rogue wave. Startled the crap out of me.

It was strong enough to make my ears pop, send our 200 pound grill careening off the deck, rip off three windowscreens, and pelt the house with all kinds of tree debris.

I have no idea what caused it. It was a completely clear night, no snow squalls or anything. Must have been a mountain wave or just a random turbulent eddy. But the effects of it are evident across the neighborhood this morning. Sizeable and pine limbs blown hundreds of yards from the source trees, shingles, and hardwood twigs all over the place.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

Phil

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:40 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22788 posts
Still roaring like a freight train this morning. Highest gust today has been 49mph (even with the trees). Temps have been hovering in the teens as well. Classic midwinter day for sure.

I think the gust last night came out of the N instead of the NW, because my station didn’t get it (blocked by a 70ft pine). Otherwise it would’ve easily surpassed the 53mph gust registered yesterday afternoon.
Personal Weather Station, Live Stream on Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...pwsdash#history

dairyd

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

dairyd

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationLorton, VA

There was a HUGE blast of wind late last night that hit the house like a ton of bricks. It was a blustery night but that gust was a f**king nuke..like a rogue wave. Startled the crap out of me.

It was strong enough to make my ears pop, send our 200 pound grill careening off the deck, rip off three windowscreens, and pelt the house with all kinds of tree debris.

I have no idea what caused it. It was a completely clear night, no snow squalls or anything. Must have been a mountain wave or just a random turbulent eddy. But the effects of it are evident across the neighborhood this morning. Sizeable and pine limbs blown hundreds of yards from the source trees, shingles, and hardwood twigs all over the place.

I know this wind, It was howling all night down in nova.  We lost power for 8 hours around 7pm with that gust.  temp dropped to 13 overnight.

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:15 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22788 posts

I know this wind, It was howling all night down in nova. We lost power for 8 hours around 7pm with that gust. temp dropped to 13 overnight.

Yikes. Hope you had a way to stay warm.

Luckily we have propane and a backup wood burning stove as well, if necessary.

dairyd

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

dairyd

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationLorton, VA

Yikes. Hope you had a way to stay warm.

Luckily we have propane and a backup wood burning stove as well, if necessary.

We just moved here from WA, need to get a small genset to run the gas furnace at least.  I started a fire in the fireplace but didn't help much. I come from a farm where we had 50kw backup power so I'm a bit spoiled. When I was house shopping I asked everyone how often the power went out and it was as if I was from another planet.  welp got my answer

I was watching the mesoscale map as the power went out, the isobars at 850 and 925 were super tight and straight N/S as the gust hit.  My guess is the convergence was perfect for a wave, but open for your thoughts.

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22788 posts

We just moved here from WA, need to get a small genset to run the gas furnace at least. I started a fire in the fireplace but didn't help much. I come from a farm where we had 50kw backup power so I'm a bit spoiled. When I was house shopping I asked everyone how often the power went out and it was as if I was from another planet. welp got my answer

I was watching the mesoscale map as the power went out, the isobars at 850 and 925 were super tight and straight N/S as the gust hit. My guess is the convergence was perfect for a wave, but open for your thoughts.

Welcome to the area! I’m glad we have someone new to add to this empty thread, haha. Where in NOVA are you located?

Yeah, that might have been a factor. Our big wind events are almost always out of the W/NW during cold advection/pressure surge events, and are often enhanced by downsloping/mountain waves. You’ll rarely (if ever) see strong winds from the SE, E, or NE unless you live right on the coast.

Depending on exactly where you’re located with respect to the mountains upstream, these W/NW winds can easily surpass 70-80mph during strong frontal passages, and can rage on for days. So hopefully you picked a good spot, haha.

dairyd

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

dairyd

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationLorton, VA

Welcome to the area! I’m glad we have someone new to add to this empty thread, haha. Where in NOVA are you located?

Yeah, that might have been a factor. Our big wind events are almost always out of the W/NW during cold advection/pressure surge events, and are often enhanced by downsloping/mountain waves. You’ll rarely (if ever) see strong winds from the SE, E, or NE unless you live right on the coast.

Depending on exactly where you’re located with respect to the mountains upstream, these W/NW winds can easily surpass 70-80mph during strong frontal passages, and can rage on for days. So hopefully you picked a good spot, haha.

Thanks! near Lorton/Springfield up in the valley a bit.  I'm fascinated by following advection, if you've ever watched the fraser outflow events in the PNW, they are generally similar, different direction (NE tilt).  I'm surprised it is similar coming off a lower height range spread over a larger area but goes to show how much energy is in these continental systems! 

It's pretty interesting here getting a feel for how the lows redevelop and deform across the frontal boundaries vs. a pacific system.  The overruns are very different.

• Phil likes this

Phil

Posted Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22788 posts
Funny, just as I start talking about the rarity of southerly windstorms, we actually have a chance at one early tomorrow morning. Short lived event, but with the very strong LLJ and dynamic forcing ahead of the cold front, it’s a distinct possibility.

If this event materializes, it could be very problematic for the trees. Not only because they don’t experience strong south winds often, but because the ground is saturated, and heavy rain will be falling. Bad combo.

If it was W/NW winds, it’d be no big deal. I’m preparing to lose power, just in case.

Phil

Posted Today, 02:09 AM

Phil

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 22788 posts
High wind warning for the Blue Ridge.

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY...

The National Weather Service in Baltimore MD/Washington has issued a High Wind Warning, which is in effect until 6 AM EST Thursday. The Wind Advisory is no longer in effect.

* TIMING...Through tonight.

* WINDS...South 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 70 mph.

* IMPACTS...Strong winds may blow down limbs, trees, and power lines. Scattered power outages are expected.

Advisory for 50mph gusts here. We’ll see if it verifies..so far the southerlies haven’t mixed down much.