Weather in 2019

Phil

Tomorrow should be the last 90+ day of 2019 around here. Mercilessly, summer might finally be ending.

It goes out with a bang, though...should easily reach the mid/upper 90s everywhere east of the Blue Ridge. Not a cheapie.

Congrats buddy.

Starting to see signs of actual hope on the horizon for anyone in a state not named Montana. :lol:

Most Septembers at least have a little contrast, this one hasn't at all for we folks under this monstrous, stable, annoying ridge. Same weather every day, it seems, with intermittent rain in between.

• Like 1

Congrats buddy.

Starting to see signs of actual hope on the horizon for anyone in a state not named Montana. :lol:

Most Septembers at least have a little contrast, this one hasn't at all for we folks under this monstrous, stable, annoying ridge. Same weather every day, it seems, with intermittent rain in between.

Same here brother. Except no intermittent rain. Lol.

• Like 1

Looks like Washington DC hit 98 degrees. Hot, and it's no Santa Ana wind event.

And somehow followed by another rainless cold frontal passage. Figures.

But at least summer might finally be over. Baby steps.

• Like 1

Nice frontal passage this evening. Kicked up a lot of dust and leaves, which really showed up on radar. Somehow managed to miss all the rain again, though.

Should have N/NE winds until Thursday, which will keep cloud cover elevated but temps in check overall.

The effects of the WPAC typhoon on the waveguide in conjunction with the low frequency boundary conditions will really crank the Pacific Jet (Polar and STJ components) next week.

• Like 1

Texas has finally gotten its place in the Rain.

Strong thunderstorms knocked out power to over 800,000 last night.

We're at 44* this morning, more rain. High of 64*.

Man, am I glad to see the weather turn. It's been a long summer.

Not bad, just loooong! :)

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Be glad you are not in California. They are now cutting power preemptively when the wind blows. More danger of fires. The people are now shooting at power trucks. Who would have thunk it?

That's what happens when idiots sue their electric company and blame them for an act of nature. I can't blame PG&E. Kinda funny actually. They didn't cause the Paradise fire.

Looks like some much needed rainfall Wednesday, followed by our first real northwester of the cool season Wed evening through Thurs afternoon.

Looking forward to the return of large scale dynamics.

• Like 1

Looks like some fog in the DC area tonight. Is it a marine layer?

Haha, clever. Radiational cooling in this case..visibility was a few hundred feet here this morning, but it largely cleared out by 830AM (was some of the densest fog I’ve seen this year, in hindsight).

Boundary layer moisture is still (relatively) elevated at this time of year, so foggy nights and mornings are very common outside the urban areas in the fall.

Canaan Valley, WV dropped to 17.6*F this morning.

They have such an awesome microclimate up there. Their growing season is actually shorter than many places in Alaska.

I think LWX might be a tad bearish on wind tomorrow night and Thursday morning, even though the lack of a properly oriented pressure surge should keep gusts below advisory criteria (still have ~50kts @ 850mb under CAA).

Wouldn’t be an issue in winter, but with foliage still on the trees and recent stress from drought (plus expected deadwooding after the late summer doldrums) I’d put a HWO out mentioning the hazard on an isolated basis. That first blow of the year always takes out the weak stuff left over from summer’s storms and heat/fungal proliferation.

Canaan Valley, WV dropped to 17.6*F this morning.

They have such an awesome microclimate up there. Their growing season is actually shorter than many places in Alaska.

There are parts of WV I'd give anything to live in if the economics weren't absolutely horrific. That's bad from a man living in Oklahoma. Lol.

• Like 2

Northwester or northeaster?

Well, the storm itself is referred to as a “nor’easter” but I’m referring to the NW winds we’ll be receiving.

But yeah, this is also our first nor’easter of the season.

Be glad you are not in California. They are now cutting power preemptively when the wind blows. More danger of fires. The people are now shooting at power trucks. Who would have thunk it?

I thought most Californians were not gun violence advocates.   I guess we can all be pushed to a breaking point. 

I realize the fires were and are devastating.  Hard to manage things when the Santa Ana winds start up. 

I guess they had to try something. All those fires last year were just shocking.

Gorgeous day today, cool breeze, sunny.  Can I order up a year of this?

We do need rain, however.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Frost and freeze advisories posted for just West and North of Phil's house.

East flow bringing 1-2 feet of snow next 72 hrs in the Tetons. Potential NW flow event for the Appalachian mountains in the 6-10 day long range. A Halloween Storm? Good times...

• Like 1

A Navy Chief said, "Never change your forecast. That way you can only be wrong once."

Frost and freeze advisories posted for just West and North of Phil's house.

East flow bringing 1-2 feet of snow next 72 hrs in the Tetons. Potential NW flow event for the Appalachian mountains in the 6-10 day long range. A Halloween Storm? Good times...

Didn’t even have frost here. Low was 36*F.

But at least it feels like autumn now. Just two weeks ago it was in the upper 90s with popcorn thunderheads and cicadas screaming in the treetops. Progress!

• Like 1

Heading for the high 80's tomorrow. 82* today. Sunny. A/C chuggin' along.

I'm sooo ready for a cool cloudy, rainy day. Like.........NOW!!!!!

• Like 1

The spigot has flipped back on. Yay!

Cool, stratiform rain falling all day as the subtropical storm passed off to the SE. Currently 54.6*F, which will be close to the high for the day.

• Like 1

Nice rain right now. Not wide spread but I'll take it. 74 for a High tomorrow. Very welcomed after 89* today.

• Like 1

Finished with 1.52” of rain on the day. This after 1.1” last Wednesday.

Oh how the tide has turned..2.6” in 5 days. Finally chipping away at the drought.

• Like 1

They keep adding and upgrading tornados.

A night to remember.

The National Weather Service has, so far, confirmed nine tornadoes to have touched down in North Texas on Sunday including an EF-3 that ripped through North Dallas with maximum wind speeds of 140 mph, an EF-2 that hit the southwestern side of Garland, an EF-1 confirmed Tuesday in Rockwall, an EF-1 confirmed Monday in Rowlett, an EF-1 confirmed Tuesday in Midlothian, an EF-1 confirmed Tuesday in Kaufman County, an EF-0 confirmed Tuesday in Kaufman County, an EF-0 confirmed Tuesday in Ferris and and EF-0 confirmed Monday in Wills Point.

A night to remember.

The National Weather Service has, so far, confirmed nine tornadoes to have touched down in North Texas on Sunday including an EF-3 that ripped through North Dallas with maximum wind speeds of 140 mph, an EF-2 that hit the southwestern side of Garland, an EF-1 confirmed Tuesday in Rockwall, an EF-1 confirmed Monday in Rowlett, an EF-1 confirmed Tuesday in Midlothian, an EF-1 confirmed Tuesday in Kaufman County, an EF-0 confirmed Tuesday in Kaufman County, an EF-0 confirmed Tuesday in Ferris and and EF-0 confirmed Monday in Wills Point.

That's a lot of tornadoes.

• Like 1

Another 0.37” ahead of the front today. Meager, but needed. Pattern looks ripe to keep producing too.

That's a lot of tornadoes.

Indeedy !!

A night to remember.

Thankfully no one was killed. Those were all night tornadoes, too. Same as the ones up here. Had one fatality in Northwest Arkansas though.

Heavy rain on the way this afternoon. 2" expected in areas.

Also, the NWS just corrected the record....Texas had 10 tornados in the Dallas County area.

Currently, the Tx Panhandle is experiencing Thundersnow.

Quite a start for the Fall, much less the Winter.

• Like 2

Beautiful, sunny day after a crisp morning.

Low was 37.6*F. Highs in the upper 60’s area wide.

Waves of rain moving in early this AM as the LLJ arrives. Record PWATs forecasted..in excess of 2” possibly by daybreak with 60kts just off the surface.

A stable boundary layer should prevent those high winds from mixing down, but if any elevated convection associated w/ the squall line can root closer to the surface, isolated severe gusts are possible between 7AM and 11AM.

Very little wind mixed down here, but temps warmed all night to near 70*F by daybreak..approaching 0.8” of new rainfall.

Flash drought is officially over here. Back to a surplus for the year and a wetter than average October has been obtained. :D