1/11 - 1/12 Southern Midwest Snowstorm

Tom

Models are worthless right now. Keep that in mind before we start looking at them. Still fun to look at, but zero weight should be put into them. 

Light snow falling, I'd say 3" OTG from eyeballing it. I'm going to bed for a few hours, we'll see how things look later. 31.8*F.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Wow, the HRRR just keeps getting better.  The 05z run now has 0.40 through Cedar Rapids and it isn't even quite done at that point.  The deformation zone surges well north through the area and just hangs out over us all day.   :D

Radar shows the snow with a bit more north momentum recently and it's up to Iowa City.

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Thanks! Happy to find this. I finally found a forum with with more than one random Iowa poster.

their is more than this!!! Coming down good in Dallas Cty!!!

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Wow, the HRRR just keeps getting better.  The 05z run now has 0.40 through Cedar Rapids and it isn't even quite done at that point.  The deformation zone surges well north through the area and just hangs out over us all day.   :D

This is the opposite of literally every other event with a large dry air mass to the north. Normally it's way undermodeled with a sudden south trend leading up to the event. That only made sense to me here, especially with the super weak sfc low. 

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I think there are at least eight active Iowa posters now.

Well, I'm going to hit the sack.  The main show is after sunrise and I don't want to be tired all day.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I think there are at least eight active Iowa posters now.

More than that for sure.

Myself, you, bud, james, dubzz, sparky, GDR, Grizzcoat, ToastedRavs, Iowawx, DSM and those are only the ones I could think of off the top of my head. There's quite a few of us now.

• Like 4

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I think things are lining up for a good 3-5 in my neck of the woods,, maybe more just S of me. DSM ARPT just had 1" increase  in snowfall on the hour. All in all, a good/great (in this winter)- and I love night snow as I generally work nights. But this should continue throughout the day today but in much less intensity.  Whatever. I totally love winter and moved here from MN 20 years ago and have learned to really cherish ANY winter I can get in IA.  When the somewhat bright light outside your windows is not from the street/house lights - but from snow cover, it's a D**n good feeling going back to bed. You know the landscape is changing and that is what it's all about.  

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'm under a WWA for 2-4" as LOT has bumped up their snowfall totals for most of N IL from I-90 and points south. I'm hoping the north trend continues and could squeak out 3" to cover up the grass.  That would be a blessing from this system.  Congrats to all our members out west in NE/IA who literally were riding the edge watching the models throughout the work week.  Like Grizz righteously said, it's time to enjoy the snow that does fall and soak it all up.

Tab2FileL.png?ecbde76e0b71bd72fc62757bef

• Like 3

The Euro was the only model showing the farthest shift N yesterday and the rest of the models have followed.  How far N does it go?  Last nights 00z Euro paints a solid 3-4" for Chicago and the 2" line up to the WI/IL border.  Looks like STL may not be the jack zone as it may be shifting N into W IL.

• Like 3

Woke up this morning with at least 8in on the ground. Very heavy snow falling at the moment absolutely beautiful snow. 31 degrees if it could just been two degrees colder may have hit a foot and a half already.

Think about it this way, the wetter snow doesn't compact as much and it will stick around much better than the fluffy stuff.  Congrats my man on your major snow!  It's been a long while.

• Like 3

Think about it this way, the wetter snow doesn't compact as much and it will stick around much better than the fluffy stuff.  Congrats my man on your major snow!  It's been a long while.

My kids are going to love it, they are already planning to be in it all day. The longer it sticks around the better maybe I get snow on top of snow?

• Like 2

That's about as good of a "Spread The Wealth" system you will see for the heartland.  I'm sure there are plenty of smiles on people's faces this morning as the landscape has turned white after weeks and weeks of brown grass.  Coming from a winter wx fan, I know that feeling...believe me, I'm thrilled that we are seeing a system deliver the goods for many members on here.

• Like 6

My kids are going to love it, they are already planning to be in it all day. The longer it sticks around the better maybe I get snow on top of snow?

The 00z Euro loves your region again!  #BuildTheGlacier....enjoy the day with your kiddos.  BTW, how's your cattle handling the snow?

• Like 1

00z EPS has the .30qpf line up to the McHenry/Lake county border across N IL...FWIW, there is guidance now suggesting Lehs coming in off the lake later this afternoon/evening into NE IL.  I'm seeing the signals off the modeling so this could be an extra wild card for those near the Lake.

06z Euro showing some sweet totals for IA peeps and into N IL, heck, maybe even our SW MI members may score more than a couple inches.  Don't forget IndianaJohn and the rest of our IN members!

• Like 3

I'm under a WWA for 2-4" as LOT has bumped up their snowfall totals for most of N IL from I-90 and points south. I'm hoping the north trend continues and could squeak out 3" to cover up the grass.  That would be a blessing from this system.  Congrats to all our members out west in NE/IA who literally were riding the edge watching the models throughout the work week.  Like Grizz righteously said, it's time to enjoy the snow that does fall and soak it all up.

Tab2FileL.png?ecbde76e0b71bd72fc62757bef

Nice surprise to wake up to!

• Like 3

Just woke up and measured. I'm going with 5.5" and still snowing lightly, so I think we should crack 6". I'm happy with this total. I understand why OAX didn't go with a WSW, because there were no really heavy rates.

• Like 5

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Just woke up and measured. I'm going with 5.5" and still snowing lightly, so I think we should crack 6". I'm happy with this total. I understand why OAX didn't go with a WSW, because there were no really heavy rates.

wow congrats! Crazy the ups and downs with this system over the last couple of days 

• Like 1

wow congrats! Crazy the ups and downs with this system over the last couple of days 

Thanks! Yeah it is crazy. Only issue is amounts are way lighter on the North side of town so whatever the record books say will be way less impressive.

Good part is most of that 5.5" except the very top layer is all concrete, so it will have a very hard time melting.

• Like 2

Just as I praise OAX for not issuing a WSW, they issue a WSW. Oh well, I'll take it. First verified WSW for this county in 3 years lol.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
725 AM CST Sat Jan 12 2019

IAZ079-080-090-091-NEZ066>068-078-088>091-130000-
/O.UPG.KOAX.WW.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-190113T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KOAX.WS.W.0001.190112T1325Z-190113T0000Z/
Mills-Montgomery-Fremont-Page-Lancaster-Cass-Otoe-Saline-
Jefferson-Gage-Johnson-Nemaha-
Including the cities of Glenwood, Red Oak, Sidney, Hamburg,
Tabor, Farragut, Clarinda, Shenandoah, Lincoln, Plattsmouth,
Nebraska City, Crete, Wilber, Fairbury, Beatrice, Tecumseh,
Sterling, and Auburn
725 AM CST Sat Jan 12 2019

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM CST THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations of 1 to 3
inches, resulting in storm total snowfall of 6 to 12 inches.

* WHERE...Portions of southeast Nebraska and southwest Iowa.

* WHEN...Until 6 PM CST this evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be difficult especially on
untreated roadways. Power outages have been reported due to the
heavy nature of the snow. In addition, due to the heavy and wet
nature of the snow, shoveling will be unusually difficult.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning for snow means severe winter weather
conditions will make travel very hazardous or impossible. If you
must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your
vehicle in case of an emergency.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.
  • Like 1