2/4 - 2/8: Multiple Potential Rain/Ice/Snow Events

East Dubzz

The Euro seems to be thinking more freezing rain than sleet in my area tomorrow night / Wednesday morning. Does the Euro struggle with those kind of things?

Anyway, it’s a pretty nasty ice storm tomorrow night on that run from about HWY 20 and south. 0.2” to 0.4” of ice for most of that area.

The Euro seems to be thinking more freezing rain than sleet in my area tomorrow night / Wednesday morning. Does the Euro struggle with those kind of things?

Anyway, it’s a pretty nasty ice storm tomorrow night on that run from about HWY 20 and south. 0.2” to 0.4” of ice for most of that area.

The EURO should handle the situation fine.  Now like all models in a smaller scale event like this it will struggle with placement of the highest qpf....

Boulder have a place in Manitowish waters, but shut it down for the winter. Always wanna stay farther north with better snow, but Boulder is a nice to head south too. If the gfs is right looks like a foot by Thurs afternoon!

Yep, if this pans out conditions will immediately be back to “good/excellent” riding. Have a great time. I’ll be back up the following week.

The EURO should handle the situation fine. Now like all models in a smaller scale event like this it will struggle with placement of the highest qpf....

Fair. Just seems like the Euro is the only model not showing a good swatch of sleet, which is what has me confused. Most other models seem to indicate that, where the Euro has me with all FZR. That could make a pretty huge difference.

Anyway, it’s a pretty nasty ice storm tomorrow night on that run from about HWY 20 and south. 0.2” to 0.4” of ice for most of that area

Is the EURO similar to the CMC in terms of ice amounts and placement?

PIcture from Hwy 8 near Rhinelander, WI this morning. Quarter inch of ice being reported with thousands of power outages. Nasty stuff.

That literally looks like an ice rink...no bueno...feel bad for those who have to deal with that ice...hope your doing well Snowshoe...

• Like 1

We might be quite low in the snow department this year, but this snow-thaw-freeze cycle has left the snow base here very solid. Probably have around 3-4 inches of glacier. Hoping to see things happen this week too! Side streets and parking lots are a nightmare up here with the freezing rain that fell. That stuff can stay away.

• Like 2

I love how the surface low track is about perfect on the GFS, but we still get nothing in Omaha

That's happened so many times this Winter. Usually a track between KC and St. Joe is perfect for here, but we've only had one >6" storm.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I would take a dry slot over sleet. I mean, I don’t like the trouble freezing rain causes, but I always find it to be fascinating, at least. Sleet is just the worst.

Frozen rain is terrible. I'd rather we have dry and 0 - 25 degrees outside. Not sure why some people are complaining about being dry when most of us are getting a nasty mix of frozen rain, sleet, and snow.

I would take a dry slot over sleet. I mean, I don’t like the trouble freezing rain causes, but I always find it to be fascinating, at least. Sleet is just the worst.

I'm the opposite of you. I love sleet. I find it thrilling and a bit soothing when heavy sleet falls. Freezing rain is just a pain in the a**.

• Like 4

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

No shortage of dry air on NAM. Gives us a couple tenths before shafting us.

Catastrophic ice storm just North of Jaster on NAMily... >0.50".

Thx for the heads-up. I try to ignore ZR events since they're as you say, just a nuisance or worse in my book. Getting just missed to the north would be a repeat of Dec 2013. Had a couple tenths here, but merely a county north was out of power for a week or more iirc. Perhaps if these 50's and torch is good for anything, it will spare me that misery. Although, my gut tells me we're "due". We had tons of ice in 06-07 and not a direct hit since. That sound bite you hear is me knocking on wood..

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Thx for the heads-up. I try to ignore ZR events since they're as you say, just a nuisance or worse in my book. Getting just missed to the north would be a repeat of Dec 2013. Had a couple tenths here, but merely a county north was out of power for a week or more iirc. Perhaps if these 50's and torch is good for anything, it will spare me that misery. Although, my gut tells me we're "due". We had tons of ice in 06-07 and not a direct hit since. That sound bite you hear is me knocking on wood..

NAM gives you a mere 0.2". Lansing gets nearly 0.6".

• Like 1