Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

February 2019 Snow Event - Part 2

Victoria Vancouver Bellingham Seattle Tacoma Olympia Portland Salem Eugene
* * * * - 3 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Bryant

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Bryant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2809 posts
  • LocationBellingham, Wa

A few different scenarios are still on the table for Mon night-Tue night. All depends on the exact track and strength of the low.

If it shifts a little bit further south, Portland will be buried. If it shifts a bit north, Seattle could see a mix and northern WA/southern BC get buried.

There's still time for both of these things to happen. We've seen it happen many times before within 48 hours.

I've put in my vote
  • North_County and Silverfin like this

K%%

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

K%%

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

You are entitled to your opinion but I disagree strongly.  Except for the lack of cold and snow, it is a very good climate.  No humidity to speak of, great summers.  For many of US that are outdoor enthusiasts there is more than ample opportunity for a vast variety of experiences.  Obviously you don't get out much.   I doubt you've ever climbed any kind mountain or hill.  Ever rafta river, or hiked mountains and river trails..  Summers most of the time are very pleasant.  Last summer was a bit warm but most are great.  Falls are magnificent.  Rain can get a little tedious but if you're not doing any of the above mentioned outside activities then you wouldn't even notice.  I doubt you ever get out much to even experience the richness of this state.  What an utterly ridiculous statement. 

I've noticed that you seem overly aggressive and biting towards me. It's my opinion that this isn't the state for exciting weather. I'm sure (and I agree) that it is wonderful weather for outdoor activities. So don't just go assuming I basing my opinion of the same scale that you are. Assumptions aren't fun.

"Man is made by his beliefs. As he believes, so he is."

-Bhagavad Gita

"The way I look at it, as long as you make it out of a battle alive, you're one step closer to fulfilling your dream."

-Seifer Almasy (VIII)

Cloud

Cloud

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBoeing Field

Quite surprised with this honestly. I figured they would post a WWA for tomorrow night and wait longer on the Monday/Tuesday system.
Must be pretty confident.

For sure, even the local mets are showing UW-WRF snow totals for this system. The last few years they have been conservative about showing snow maps 48+ hours out... the overall consensus is they appears to be quite confident.

Deweydog

Deweydog

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22186 posts
  • LocationHockinson, WA

Wow, that's actually a lot better than I expected. Then again, it probably included what fell yesterday (or what was supposed to fall yesterday, that is).

Models don’t go backward.
  • kokaneekidz and K%% like this

All roads lead to Walgreens.  

dolt

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:42 PM

dolt

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Portland NWS expecting 1-2" of snow late this evening in the South Willamette Valley. TWL and Dolt.

Any for Tupelo Mississippi?
  • kokaneekidz and TigerWoodsLibido like this

Geos

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:44 PM

Geos

Special Contributor

• Mods
  • 8578 posts
  • LocationKirkland/Kenmore line

Let's migrate over here....

http://theweatherfor...10-part-iii-iv/

Finn Hill, elevation: 460 ft
2018 moisture: 41.76", 2019: 23.62", 9/23

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Weather station/wx cam:
http://map.bloomsky....qBxp6apnJSnqqm2

https://www.wundergr...OTHE144#history

hawkstwelve

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

hawkstwelve

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5168 posts
  • LocationMaple Valley, WA

Wow, that's actually a lot better than I expected. Then again, it probably included what fell yesterday (or what was supposed to fall yesterday, that is).

No, that includes less than 1 inch of snow prior to 7PM tomorrow.
  • K%% likes this

K%%

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:47 PM

K%%

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

No, that includes less than 1 inch of snow prior to 7PM tomorrow.

Hope this is a trend, looks better for most everyone.

-Bhagavad Gita

"The way I look at it, as long as you make it out of a battle alive, you're one step closer to fulfilling your dream."

-Seifer Almasy (VIII)

CulverJosh

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

CulverJosh

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • LocationCulver, OR (2800' elevation), halfway between Redmond and Madras.

We should "sticky" this sentence I am about to say so we can all quit arguing with K12.   

HE IS 16 YEARS OLD, AND HE HASN'T LIVED YET AND WHEN HE AGES MORE THEN WE CAN GET MAD AT WHAT HE SAYS, BECAUSE THAT MEANS HE HASN'T LEARNED!!!

• Sounder likes this

Give me a bucket of beer, a fishing pole, and a swiss army knife......I will figure it out!!!

VancouverIslandSouth

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

VancouverIslandSouth

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Looks like I'll pull off another sub-freezing high today, the temperature has started dropping again. Just a little to late YYJ it appears.

Sounds pretty awful in Vancouver, turns out a tree fell into my parents neighbor's place in North Vancouver, crashed right through their bedroom. Fortunately, no one was injured but not the sort of thing you want to deal with during an extend cold snap.

Cloud

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

Cloud

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBoeing Field

I've noticed that you seem overly aggressive and biting towards me. It's my opinion that this isn't the state for exciting weather. I'm sure (and I agree) that it is wonderful weather for outdoor activities. So don't just go assuming I basing my opinion of the same scale that you are. Assumptions aren't fun.

The western side of the PNW as a whole isn’t known for extreme weathers. We get boring rain here with an occasional windstorm and snow.
What Seattle experiences right now isn’t indicative of the norm.. you know this.

Seriously though, if you’re a fan of extreme weather perhaps consider moving after you’re done with school.
  • K%% likes this

CulverJosh

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:55 PM

CulverJosh

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts

The western side of the PNW as a whole isn’t known for extreme weathers. We get boring rain here with an occasional windstorm and snow.
What Seattle experiences right now isn’t indicative of the norm.. you know this.

Seriously though, if you’re a fan of extreme weather perhaps consider moving after you’re done with school.

Like I said.  He is 16.  I wouldn't even respond to him.

• dolt likes this

Give me a bucket of beer, a fishing pole, and a swiss army knife......I will figure it out!!!

K%%

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:56 PM

K%%

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

I'm tempted. I love the Gorge, and I really do like the climate of Eastern Oregon as well. But I know and readily admit that my expectations are impossible to meet, as there is no climate for my "ideals".

-Bhagavad Gita

-Seifer Almasy (VIII)

CulverJosh

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

CulverJosh

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts

I'm tempted. I love the Gorge, and I really do like the climate of Eastern Oregon as well. But I know and readily admit that my expectations are impossible to meet, as there is no climate for my "ideals".

Go to the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.  Guarantee you heaven there.  Lots of wind and snow and blizzards.

• K%% likes this

Jginmartini

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:58 PM

Jginmartini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2798 posts
  • LocationFederal Way Wa
The sun bubbled me up to 32.5 today

Attached Files

• iFred likes this
Layman’s terms please 😁

Cloud

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:59 PM

Cloud

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBoeing Field

Like I said.  He is 16.  I wouldn't even respond to him.

There’s a difference in responding to people in a d****** manner vs. having a legit conversation... my approach to K12 has always been the latter. So I’ll continue.
  • K%% likes this

Cloud

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

Cloud

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBoeing Field

Being in much higher elevation can probably curb your needs for some nice winds and snow. Perhaps even places like Bellingham, those Fraser wind are no joke.
  • K%% likes this

K%%

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

K%%

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Being in much higher elevation can probably curb your needs for some nice winds and snow. Perhaps even places like Bellingham, those Fraser wind are no joke.

Honestly I'd think that out of anywhere in the US Bellingham or possibly Cascade Locks/Hood River. I like the weather in the Midwest a lot, but it's so darn flat for me.

-Bhagavad Gita

-Seifer Almasy (VIII)

CulverJosh

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

CulverJosh

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts

There’s a difference in responding to people in a d****** manner vs. having a legit conversation... my approach to K12 has always been the latter. So I’ll continue.

Yes, but you do know the difference in talking to a teenager as opposed to an adult, do you not?  He gets way too emotional over things he shouldn't, which is a strong trait for adolescents.  As you get older, you realize that there are bigger things to worry and freak out over.  How old are you Cloud?

Cloud

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Cloud

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationBoeing Field

Yes, but you do know the difference in talking to a teenager as opposed to an adult, do you not?  He gets way too emotional over things he shouldn't, which is a strong trait for adolescents.  As you get older, you realize that there are bigger things to worry and freak out over.  How old are you Cloud?

I ignore most of K12’s “emotional” posts. If it’s a topic worth responding and give him some insight then I will.

Also.. I’m 34... lived here in the PNW most of my life.
  • iFred likes this

CulverJosh

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

CulverJosh

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts

I ignore most of K12’s “emotional” posts. If it’s a topic worth responding and give him some insight then I will.

Also.. I’m 34... lived here in the PNW most of my life.

Sounds good.  And I wasn't responding to particularly you, but this forum in general.   He gets really animated and I get it.  I just wanted to make sure everyone understood he is 16.  Sometimes on the internet we think we are always talking to fully developed people with fully developed minds.  

• Cloud and K%% like this

Rubus Leucodermis

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

Rubus Leucodermis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Alright, there's another silver lining to this week. No one from Puget Sound will (at least, should) never complain about 1/10/17 again. That event will be like a footnote in a week like what is forecasted. A tiny speck among colossi.

Most of us were a bit pissy after Feb 2014 and Jan 2017, which were pretty epic for PDX and pretty meh for Seattle. Obviously now everything's been reset after this event—even if the forecasted coming events all bust. The ones most entitled to whine are now those in Bellingham and Vancouver, BC. Their streak of dud snow years is longer than Portland's.

• K%% likes this

K%%

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:22 PM

K%%

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Most of us were a bit pissy after Feb 2014 and Jan 2017, which were pretty epic for PDX and pretty meh for Seattle. Obviously now everything's been reset after this event—even if the forecasted coming events all bust. The ones most entitled to whine are now those in Bellingham and Vancouver, BC. Their streak of dud snow years is longer than Portland's.

Vancouver doesn't seem awful, they got something in February 2018 if I remember correct. But Bellingham is probably entitled to any whining, even though they have the most consistent cold out of all locations mentioned.

-Bhagavad Gita

-Seifer Almasy (VIII)

Chewbacca Defense

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

Chewbacca Defense

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA - 325ft

Honestly I'd think that out of anywhere in the US Bellingham or possibly Cascade Locks/Hood River. I like the weather in the Midwest a lot, but it's so darn flat for me.

The weather in Bellingham is simply dreadful, you wouldn't want to live here....

#itsactuallyreallynice #lotsofpeoplemovinghere #itsgettingabitcrowded

Seriously though, we moved up from the Willamette Valley, and its quite a bit different up here (relatively speaking for Western Washington/Western Oregon).  The snow situation is by and large better up here compared to Portland/Willamette Valley.  That said, my mother in law lived in Hood River for about 4-5 years, and if you want wind and more reliable winters, that's your spot!!

• K%% likes this

North_County

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

North_County

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSumas, Washington

The ones most entitled to whine are now those in Bellingham and Vancouver, BC. Their streak of dud snow years is longer than Portland's.

Vancouver had a pretty strong winter in 2016-17. Bellingham missed out on most of the goods that winter by probably less than 15 miles. I imagine that was very tough for some to deal with.

Rubus Leucodermis

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:24 PM

Rubus Leucodermis

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Really love the colors of light one gets at dawn and dusk when the sky is clear and the ground is snow-covered. Because snow is rare here, and it's usually cloudy in the winter, years can pass between times I see it. Already had it happen multiple times this month (including right now). A real treat!

• iFred and K%% like this

K%%

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:26 PM

K%%

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

The weather in Bellingham is simply dreadful, you wouldn't want to live here....

#itsactuallyreallynice #lotsofpeoplemovinghere #itsgettingabitcrowded

Seriously though, we moved up from the Willamette Valley, and its quite a bit different up here (relatively speaking for Western Washington/Western Oregon).  The snow situation is by and large better up here compared to Portland/Willamette Valley.  That said, my mother in law lived in Hood River for about 4-5 years, and if you want wind and more reliable winters, that's your spot!!

Yeah, both the Gorge and the Fraser Valley are hardcore. Relentless wind, heavy ice, I often find it shamefully omitted from weather articles and whatnot. I would love to live in one of the two someday!

• Chewbacca Defense and CulverJosh like this

-Bhagavad Gita

-Seifer Almasy (VIII)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Victoria, Vancouver, Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Portland, Salem, Eugene