2/11 - 2/13 Major Winter Storm

Tom

So far... forecasts are calling for couple of inches of snow for my area and then, changing to a mix, perhaps even plain rain. I am expecting more changes.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I have this sinking feeling that this is going to be another rain/freezing rain maker for most on this forum with very little or only minor accumulations of snow.  Trends unfortunately seem to be pointing in that direction.

I don't know, I felt that way looking at GFS but even FV3, as garbage as it is, has backed off all the rain for my area. I said earlier it has had a habit of doing this all winter long, and the 06z run shows exactly that. A massive back tracking on the rain and mix in this system, and also later systems.

There are alot of players on the field from the 1st wave to the kicker over the pacific. They are gonna be everywhere for awhile

No doubt. I expect changes, but the inconsistency every single model run is just interesting.

That said, that run gives at least advisory level snow from HWY 20 and north, and really gives a good snowfall to the areas that just got hit.

12z Ukie looks like the GGEM and digs the energy way S towards S MO/S IL by Hr 96 and then amps it up cutting NE into the GL's into a 996mb storm just NW of Toronto...

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

http://img.meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

• Like 2

It seems to me that modeling has been fairly consistent (or as consistent as forecast models can be) with the snow for Sunday, but have been all over the place with the system for Monday-Tuesday. Interesting!

It helps that the Sunday system is much less complex and also a widespread light to moderate snow event. Much easier for the models to get a grasp on that, as there is much less moving pieces.

10" here at the end of the Euro run. Nothing to write home about, but it'd be a pretty nice week and a half before sun angle starts to become an issue later in the month & above average temps mean more consistent 50s.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Man, this pattern is insane! It is so strange seeing the AFD and every one has the form of talking of the potential for a storm in a few days and then fades to yet another potential storm in the longer range. Have not seen something like this for a while. SPS and I will take an order of the Euro, to go, please. On another note, the storm yesterday left all the evergreens around here covered and it is stunning with the sun out!

• Like 1