February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

I might have to rethink that. What happened this month is truly remarkable and definitely has something to do with the grand solar minimum that's starting as some have mentioned. It snowed in parts of San Diego and Phoenix for Pete's sake. If we start getting very cold and snowy Winter's in the next few years which I think will happen then I'm definitely staying put.

Nothing like a move to Phoenix to satiate the desires of a snow lover.

• Like 1

Lost in all of this is the amazing amount of rain northern California is getting, over 5x as much as North Bend in the next week. You'd think this were an El Nino year to see that sort of rain in February down there, but it's certainly not driven by a typical El Nino driven weather pattern. Should help with the drought.

Kind of a funky side note, Eugene has yet to drop to 32 degrees during all of this ridiculousness.

Phil said it was completely impossible that it snowed 4 inches here early in November 2017 without going below freezing... how the hell can Eugene get 11-15 inches of snow and stay above freezing?

Cannot happen.   Its probably in the teens down there now and its a sensor issue.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well our storm has a name. It was called Winter Storm Ryan. Some interesting things happened today. You know things get serious when school districts close for the first time in 20 years.

"Winter Storm Ryan closed roads and triggered avalanches in the Pacific Northwest on Monday.

Many Oregon school districts canceled classes Monday, including the University of Oregon.

Schools in Butte, Montana, will be closed Tuesday for the first time in at least 20 years."

Full article here:

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-02-25-winter-storm-ryan-impacts-pacific-northwest

I might have to rethink that. What happened this month is truly remarkable and definitely has something to do with the grand solar minimum that's starting as some have mentioned. It snowed in parts of San Diego and Phoenix for Pete's sake. If we start getting very cold and snowy Winter's in the next few years which I think will happen then I'm definitely staying put.

Yes, maybe a 1950s/60s type regime with cold snowy winters and cool and cloudy summers. Sounds like heaven!

• Like 1

Lost in all of this is the amazing amount of rain northern California is getting, over 5x as much as North Bend in the next week. You'd think this were an El Nino year to see that sort of rain in February down there, but it's certainly not driven by a typical El Nino driven weather pattern. Should help with the drought.

I was just thinking how extreme their weather has been the past year. They had all those wildfires with the fire tornado last summer and now their getting tons of rain.

I don't like posting extended snowfall total maps over multiple days... but here is total snow through Friday.   

Even with the overestimating on the ECMWF snow maps... Seattle still gets nothing.   

ecmwf-tsnow-washington-17.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I don't like posting extended snowfall total maps over multiple days... but here is total snow through Friday.

Even with the overestimating on the ECMWF snow maps... Seattle still gets nothing.

ecmwf-tsnow-washington-17.png

Not surprising, the way things are set up right now, central OR is in the prime spot. More snow for Eugene.

• Like 1

That Euro run that’s dumped nearly a foot of snow was such a tease!

Euro teased us with some ridiculous 14-18 inch snow maps too, Those numbers did actually happen, it was just off by a 100 miles or so which of course is a fairly small error for a global weather model. Still a huge tease though. 

Looks like weekend temps are trending downward again.

Actually a little warmer up here than the 12Z run.   It probably thinks there is snow on the ground on Saturday down there... don't count on that.