2/23 - 2/24 Central Plains/Midwest Blizzard

Tom

Interesting write up by Gary lezak in his blog this morning. The storm is associated with the one that hit St. Louis in November. He mentioned about the models starting to shift south and it would make sense if you use the LRC. I’m gonna ride the euro on this one, I’m interested in seeing what it shows today.

• Like 1

Brings some freezing rain through here Saturday morning with that initial push of WAA. Hopefully that doesn’t happen. It’ll melt after that as rain pushes through. But still, no thanks. It’s pretty minimal snow on the backside here, but combining that with the melting snow/rain freezing back up and the strong winds... sounds terrible.

The trends are looking interesting and better here. We may not be in the bullseye yet, but still, getting at least moderate snowfall from this would be a great thing to see. It would be nice if this SLP track holds or goes a bit farther SE. This looks like a fun storm to track! 

Need more of a SE trend for the rest of the hungry snow geese to get into some of the action and even if it were to happen we would probably just end up with ice anyway as this has been the theme the past couple weeks. Good luck to you guys that are in the path of this storm and hope it does end up being a Blizzard for some of you.

I'll take a narrow band from this. It's GFS' rain followed by a narrow but intense band solution vs. Euro's basically all snow but less intense band solution. Either way we'd end with about the same about of snow OTG (keeping in mind the GFS rain solution would kill our current snowcover) so I'm fine with this.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I'll take a narrow band from this. It's GFS' rain followed by a narrow but intense band solution vs. Euro's basically all snow but less intense band solution. Either way we'd end with about the same about of snow OTG (keeping in mind the GFS rain solution would kill our current snowcover) so I'm fine with this.

oh I would definitely take it and there is room for the shield to expand. Someone will be very happy just impossible to know where of course

Need more of a SE trend for the rest of the hungry snow geese to get into some of the action and even if it were to happen we would probably just end up with ice anyway as this has been the theme the past couple weeks. Good luck to you guys that are in the path of this storm and hope it does end up being a Blizzard for some of you.

This so much. I’m sick of these rainers. It’s ice for like 2 hours, then rain, then just gets freezing cold after. Most blah pattern ever, I’m excited for spring!

I'm curious at what the backside has to offer.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Saturday grid for Lincoln sounds messy: 

Sleet, possibly mixed with snow and freezing rain before 11am, then snow, possibly mixed with sleet between 11am and noon, then snow after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy blowing snow after 2pm. High near 33. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"