Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

March 2019 Observations and Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Niko

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6505 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Currently at 35F w mostly cloudy skies.

hlcater

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:24 PM

hlcater

Awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1668 posts
  • LocationHiawatha, Eastern IA
I was not there for the snowfall. So I’ll probably just do 2.5 or thereabouts.

2018-19 Snowfall:

TOTAL: 48.0"

(Nov. 9: 0.6") (Nov. 17: 2.9") (Dec. 31: 0.5") (Jan. 12: 4.7") (Jan. 19: 5.7") (Jan. 22: 5.0") (Jan. 26: 1.5") (Jan. 28: 3.0") (Jan. 31: 3.1") (Feb. 10: 1.2") (Feb. 12: 8.2") (Feb. 17: 7.8") (Feb. 20: 4.0")

Formerly NWLinn

Tom

Posted Yesterday, 02:49 AM

Tom

Community Mod

• Mods
  • 18493 posts
  • LocationDes Plaines, IL

POPULAR

First off, I'd like to express my sympathy to everyone out in NE who are being effected by the historic flooding.  I've been monitoring what has been ongoing in your state and its heartbreaking seeing the destruction of the floods/ice flows.  The loss of life is never easy and that also goes for the poor animals as well.  I think your state has the only members on this Sub that are in ground zero of these floods.  Has anyone else been directly effected by the floods?  Just curious.

Meantime, Spring officially begins this week and boy does this 7-day look better....

D17gSOJW0AA8bO0.jpg

• Hawkeye, gabel23, Andie and 4 others like this

Niko

Posted Yesterday, 03:53 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6505 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Currently at 23F w a partly cloudy skies.  My extended looks awesome. :D

Btw: Still have some residual snow piles around, but hopefully, they will be gone soon.

Niko

Posted Yesterday, 03:58 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6505 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

First off, I'd like to express my sympathy to everyone out in NE who are being effected by the historic flooding.  I've been monitoring what has been ongoing in your state and its heartbreaking seeing the destruction of the floods/ice flows.  The loss of life is never easy and that also goes for the poor animals as well.  I think your state has the only members on this Sub that are in ground zero of these floods.  Has anyone else been directly effected by the floods?  Just curious.

Meantime, Spring officially begins this week and boy does this 7-day look better....

D17gSOJW0AA8bO0.jpg

Its very unfortunate for those folks out in NE suffering these floods. Hopefully, lives are being saved and not lost. I have a friend who lives there and told me that the situation is horrible.

Btw: Your extended looks splendid!

• Tom, gabel23, LNK_Weather and 1 other like this

Andie

Posted Yesterday, 05:19 AM

Andie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2664 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas
The flooding is so hard to witness. These big floods hit after late winter snow storms and I can not imaging the struggle and heartache. Midwesterners are certainly the hardiest and perhaps the best of America. My Dad was born in Kansas and lived there in his formative years. He was rock solid and we need more like him today.

We'll have bright sunny days. High 70 and lows around 40.
Gorgeous weather that makes you want to get out there and do Spring things. Enjoy guys.
  • Tom and gabel23 like this
Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

2018 Rainfall - 62.65"
High Temp. - 110.03*
Low Temp. - 8.4*

East Dubzz

Posted Yesterday, 05:44 AM

East Dubzz

Advanced Member

• Mods
  • 2928 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA
Dang, the golf courses may be ready to go shortly after this week. Wouldn’t be surprised if they let us go out this weekend, actually. Doubt they allow golf carts yet, but I’m guessing the course will be good enough to allow people to walk it.

westMJim

Posted Yesterday, 05:58 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1368 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

Not only are we gaining daylight at a rapid rate we are also gaining temperatures also. The average H/L today at Grand Rapids is 45/27 and by Saturday it is 48/29 and by next Monday it is 48/30. One thing to keep in mind is that there is still a lot of snow and ice to our north so anytime we have a NW or north wind it will be a cool one. Also a term we will hear a lot of for some time is “cooler by the lake” It looks like the official low at GRR last night was 20 while here at my house I dropped down to 17.

westMJim

Posted Yesterday, 06:00 AM

westMJim

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1368 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, mi

Currently at 23F w a partly cloudy skies.  My extended looks awesome. :D

Btw: Still have some residual snow piles around, but hopefully, they will be gone soon.

The snow piles here could stick around until April. There are still piles in my front yard and the parking lot piles some are still huge. And yes there is still snow in the woods around here yet.

CentralNebWeather

Posted Yesterday, 06:25 AM

CentralNebWeather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • LocationHoldrege, NE

When Nebraskans talk of bad winters, they usually go back to the Winter of 1948-1949.  I think this winter may rank towards the top with the devastation after this long, cold, snowy, icy winter.  The area I am in is not by a river or dam, (17 miles away is the Platte River and the closest lake and dam is over 25 miles away), so we haven't had those problems, but there is standing water everywhere.  I saw farm fields yesterday with lower areas that are covered by several feet of water.  Our athletic teams have only had 1 competition, an indoor track meet at UNK on Saturday.  The track is clear, but all fields, pits, etc. are still dealing with standing water and some drifts.  It is really hard to comprehend unless you see it first hand.  Nebraskans are pitching in and helping one another and hopefully there will be disaster aid from the fed. govt., as is the case in other floods, earthquakes, fires, etc. 

I could honestly could care less if the main stream media comes out here or not ( I stopped listening to their stuff several years ago).  Our local media is doing a tremendous job covering this, and new media is honestly what people are moving towards anyway.   

• Hawkeye, gabel23 and LNK_Weather like this

Niko

Posted Yesterday, 06:32 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6505 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

The snow piles here could stick around until April. There are still piles in my front yard and the parking lot piles some are still huge. And yes there is still snow in the woods around here yet.

I would not be surprised if my piles still around till early April (especially in pkg-lot areas). Unless we get a huge warm-up and hvy rains, these piles have the potential to remain put for some time.

East Dubzz

Posted Yesterday, 08:00 AM

East Dubzz

Advanced Member

• Mods
  • 2928 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA
Just called the golf course and they’re planning to open this weekend! Man, that came way faster than I expected!

Attached Files

• gabel23 likes this

gosaints

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 AM

gosaints

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5065 posts
  • LocationWhitewater state park

Just called the golf course and they’re planning to open this weekend! Man, that came way faster than I expected!

Under pavement frost depths are 55 inches here.  Gonna be awhile til I am on the course

gimmesnow

Posted Yesterday, 08:21 AM

gimmesnow

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Snowboarding ended for me last week, just got the bad news. This was a really crappy end of the season. Usually I get to enjoy some nice spring boarding in a t-shirt. Nothing this year.

Niko

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 AM

Niko

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6505 posts
  • LocationMacomb, MI

Absolutely gorgeous outside...temps are still averaging BN though. Currently at 38F w a blend of sunshine & clouds. Average temps are in the mid 40s, so running a tad BN for today.

Btw: lots of frost this morning. It almost looked as if it had snowed.

East Dubzz

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 AM

East Dubzz

Advanced Member

• Mods
  • 2928 posts
  • LocationDubuque, IA

Under pavement frost depths are 55 inches here. Gonna be awhile til I am on the course

Wow that’s pretty wild. I’m not even sure what it is here. Ground has definitely been getting much better over the past few days, and 50s and sunny all week should help the ground quite a bit. I doubt they’ll let golf carts go out yet, but walking the course in the upper 50s on Saturday sounds amazing.

LNK_Weather

Posted Yesterday, 09:56 AM

LNK_Weather

Opinions don't care about your feelings

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4815 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE

The lake by me is liquid around the edges for the first time since December. Also my first time not seeing ice fishers on there since about early January or so.

>1" Snowfalls for Lincoln Municipal Airport in 2018-2019: 10/14 (3.5"), 11/17 (2.6"), 11/25 (3.6"), 12/1-2 (3.0"), 12/28 (2.4"), 1/11-12 (4.9"), 1/22 (3.9"), 2/6-7 (2.2"), 2/15 (2.6"), 2/16-17 (4.2"), 2/19-20 (5.1"), 2/23 (8.0"), 3/2 (2.0"), 3/6-7 (4.3")

Total Snowfall for 2018-2019 @ KLNK: 55.5"             Coldest Low: -9*F (1/30, 3/4)

First flake of the season: 10/14/2018 @ 7:01 AM CDT                Last flake of the season (so far): 3/9/2019 @ 12:51 PM CST

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2018 Severe Weather Season Statistics for my apartment:

Tornado Watches: 2 (Last: 6/11/2018)

Tornado Warnings: 0 (Last: 5/9/2016)

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 6 (Last: 9/20/2018)

Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 5 (Last: 9/20/2018)

SPC Day 1 High Risks: 0 (Last: 6/5/2008)

SPC Day 1 Moderate Risks: 1 (Last: 6/1/2018)

SPC Day 1 Enhanced Risks: 3 (Last: 6/30/2018)

SPC Day 1 Slight Risks: 9 (Last: 9/20/2018)