March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Besides Tuesday morning, we done for snow for the season?

Common through June... but you will probably not get anything with the Tuesday morning system.     That is just a warning shot.   ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice day, 54 degrees. Fired up the smoker and threw some ribs on, homemade mac and cheese next!!

I grilled a couple times(charcoal) in near 0 temps.  Wasn't even type 2 fun! 

Planning to grill tonight again, should be more reasonable with temps near freezing.

• Like 1

Tomorrow’s system looks like the wettest we’ve seen in awhile here. Just 0.04” of precip in the past 16 days.

Cannot believe how much I want 50-degree rain right now.   But not going to happen on Monday night.   Maybe after day 10.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I grilled a couple times(charcoal) in near 0 temps.  Wasn't even type 2 fun! 

Planning to grill tonight again, should be more reasonable with temps near freezing.

I BBQ’d on Feb. 8th! Was a tad chilly.

433CC03A-5B49-4B1E-AA90-C6AF3BCF834B.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

52 at SEA now... still 54 in North Bend.

52 at PDX as well.

12Z ECMWF showed 48 for both SEA and PDX today.    At least its consistently wrong by the same margin and in the same direction which makes it reliable when you account for its cool bias.

I grilled a couple times(charcoal) in near 0 temps. Wasn't even type 2 fun!

I grilled some steaks with the bbq a few times this winter, avoid using the smoker when it's cold, too tough to keep temp consistent for hours since I usually do a bunch of 6 to 15 plus hour cooks.

Finally feels like early spring! 54°, the sun is out, and the trees are budding. Flowers are also showing up as well.

There are east winds but because of the temperature they’re not the bone dry lip-cracking winds Portlanders are familiar with. It’s also weaker west of the West Hills.

Took my grandson up into the Gorge for first time

Multnomah Falls opened his eyes but the the snow and ice is what made him happy.

So then I said I have another treat for you and drove him up to the Vista House for some K12 fun. Adrenaline kicked in and this was his thing!

Winds were blowing hard enough to knock him as well as I off balance. Had a great time playing in the wind for some time before I said I can’t take it any more....cheeks were numb!

Even though temp was 39* nothing melting, just a pretty wonderland in the Gorge :)

F4E2D044-0836-4112-BF66-322781EC0282.jpeg

71DB8BCE-D2BD-401E-8450-953562130AB4.jpeg

• Like 7

What I'm seeing on the GFS is that a strong trough will form in the GoA while the West Coast Warm Finger prevails. That trough will, near the end of the model run, weaken and move toward the West Coast (bringing cooler temps and rain), followed by the possible formation of a new ridge over the West Coast. Not totally confident about that last part though.

I didn’t quite get to 50 but I believe this is my highest reading since the end of January. However DP has been plummeting all day. Now down to 24 so melting once again has been minimal.

Currently 46.

733D602F-B2D8-4377-BC59-0CEAD40639C1.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

High only made it to 49 here today, clouds moved in the last hour or so that’s probably why. Still haven’t hit 50 since the beginning of February that should change this week. I’ve gotten within 5 degrees of 50 maybe 4-5 times I think since the 3rd of February.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Is there a power outage up at Snoqualmie pass? None of the cameras are working between Asahel Curtis to West Nelson.

What I'm seeing on the GFS is that a strong trough will form in the GoA while the West Coast Warm Finger prevails. That trough will, near the end of the model run, weaken and move toward the West Coast (bringing cooler temps and rain), followed by the possible formation of a new ridge over the West Coast. Not totally confident about that last part though.

The Blob has come back from the dead and moved inland as the West Coast Warm Finger.

A forum for the end of the world.

Interesting DP’s this afternoon. Low point was 24, then an hour later it was all the way up to 34! Now at 31. Temps dropping rapidly. Currently 37.

Holy mama @ the jet extension on the 12z EPS.

Blasts it right into the west coast, and then some. Lots of precipitation on most members starting at the end of week two all the way from San Diego to Vancouver Island.

• Like 1

No sign of a GOA ridge pattern developing at all at day 15 on the EPS. In fact... it seems like the block has just shifted east and the deepest troughing is where the strongest ridging used to be. I think the ridge will break down at times as troughing splits off and moves into the West Coast and then another ridge pops up.

The jet well probably extend right into the PNW at some point (when forcing leaves the MC domain and becomes less longitudinally symmetrical). So it could be more stormy than ridgy once it happens.

The EPS starts it at D12.

7OFbnze.png

JW82Y8K.png

• Like 1