March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Unless we have Phil caliber melting before Thursday, I will officially have 40 straight days with snow on the ground. If you would have told me (Matt would have told me) on MLK Day that I would have snow on the ground for 40+ days and a 36” total by mid March I would have laughed and stabbed a fork into the 2017 Christmas snowball that I still have in the freezer...And then cried.

• Like 5

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

C-zone never materialized to any precip but now the suns out so it’s all good..temp only made it to 43 so far 10 below avg

Today might be the last sub 50 high of the season here at my house

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

EPS is also slower with the ridge break down... but ends up with generally mild zonal flow with normal 850mb temps across the PNW.

Sort of looks like the action would be more focused on CA again. But I am sure there would be some rainy periods up here too.

Looks Nino-ish...

eps-z500a-5d-noram-61.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61.png

I can totally feel this ridge “breaking down” into a split flow pattern

I can totally feel this ridge “breaking down” into a split flow pattern

I am getting that feeling too. It would be much more springy though.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The developing Midwest storm has everything I would ever want in a system. High winds, heavy rain, crazy snow, historic low pressure. It’s high time for another windstorm. This time, I want all those Weather Channel folks to see what a storm here can do, and not be disappointed.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Unless you're talking about spring in the PNW, which according to certain sources starts in mid January and lasts until early July.

Basically does in many years.   By the standards of other places in the northern US... we usually have spring-like weather around here starting in late January when they are still in deep winter.   And we often still have spring-like weather in June when they are in full blown summer.   :)

This year has obviously been a huge exception to that general rule.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

C-zone is finally winding down.

Unofficial start of spring here right now as it will start to slowly but steadily improve going forward... better late than never!

Until the jet blasts in!

Basically does in many years. By the standards of other places in the northern US... we usually have spring-like weather around here starting in late January when they are still in deep winter. And we often still have spring-like weather in June when they are in full blown summer. :)

This year has obviously been a huge exception to that general rule.

Almost like coastal climate is quite a bit different than continental.

It's just a totally different animal... continental climates tend to be much more variable and extreme - the seasons themselves are just different, but that doesn't mean they "start" at radically different times.

A forum for the end of the world.

Almost like coastal climate is quite a bit different than continental.

It's just a totally different animal... continental climates tend to be much more variable and extreme - the seasons themselves are just different, but that doesn't mean they "start" at radically different times.

Whatever. Obviously its just a general sentiment. You are taking it too seriously and keep bringing it up.

Seattle’s spring doesn’t start in January.

Recency bias. Similar to how the last 6 summers have been historically warm and sunny..when things inevitably return to “normal” it will shock lots of folks.

• Like 1

Can't change a calendar

Actually you can... What you can't change is our orbit!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Recency bias. Similar to how the last 6 summers have been historically warm and sunny..when things inevitably return to “normal” it will shock lots of folks.

So shocking!

Having some rain in the summer and not choking for weeks in thick smoke?? That will be shocking.   I am sure people really want more wildfires and summer ruined by heat and smoke every year.   :rolleyes:

No sh*t... but when its in the 50s and sunny most of the month and flowers are blooming and it stays above freezing at night then some people might joke that spring starts in January.   Because it sure felt like it this year.   And then we had record cold and snow that is still going... so February and the first half of March have been VERY winter-like.   

Nature does not follow a script.     ;)

I didn't say anything about smoke, we can still have really hot weather and get enough rain to stifle fire risk throughout our region, just because it hasn't happened recently doesn't mean it can't.

Totally agree.

As much as I really don't want a summer 1993 or 2011 repeat, the climactic effects that cause it are not magically gone. It can still happen. If it does anytime soon, it's going to be massive whiplash.

Sad piece of truth about our climate: Summer is not a guaranteed season here. It happens almost every year, and some are genuinely hot, but every 10 years or so we get a "summer" that is complete garbage. That's just climate, and that's just how anomalies work.

If it makes you feel any better, California is affected by similar weather systems and they had a crap summer in 2010. It's not unique to the PNW in the slightest. Pretty sure the east can get screwed some years as well, but I'm not totally sure on that.

No sh*t... but when its in the 50s and sunny most of the month and flowers are blooming and it stays above freezing at night then some people might joke that spring starts in January.   Because it sure felt like it this year.   And then we had record cold and snow that is still going... so February and the first half of March have been VERY winter-like.   

Nature does not follow a script.     ;)

You just have to look at averages. And both temps and precip play a role.

On average, SEA precip drops from 5.77" in January to less than half that in April. Average high temps in April are 12 degrees warmer than January, which doesn't sound like much until you consider that by the end of April, average high temps are exactly halfway between their lowest in December/January (45) and their highest in July/August (75).

Overall, April and May are the most "spring-like" months in the PNW (temps halfway between winter and summer), just as they are the vast majority of places.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.