March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

You can check Accuweathers 90 day forecast for reassurance that you're making the best decision possible

:lol:

Probably not worth the risk.   Keep those snow tires on until July in our polar climate.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I hit 32F at 11:40pm last night which added yesterday and kept my unblemished string of 32F or lower going for the month. I have been at or below freezing on 39 of the past 40 days and still have remnants of the February snow in my yard. A PNW weather weenies dream.

This is a first for me...40 days with snow on the ground. I cannot recall any other event coming close to this sustained cold with snow cover in my lifetime.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

This is a first for me...40 days with snow on the ground. I cannot recall any other event coming close to this sustained cold with snow cover in my lifetime.

Haven’t experienced relatively widespread snow over for more than six days at any given time. I’m sure I’ll experience it someday.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

57 now in North Bend and 55 here with some very thin high clouds and lots of sun.   

Starting to think the newly formed North Bend Glacier might not survive through the summer.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

57 now in North Bend and 55 here with some very thin high clouds and lots of sun.

Starting to think the newly formed North Bend Glacier might not survive through the summer.

Meanwhile it’s 48 here.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Not really jealous... it will be about the same here by early next week.  

And that will be a March day.    Our normal high in July is about 34 or 35.   We run about 40 degrees colder than SEA even though we are only about 400 or 500 feet higher than SEA.   My location is closer in elevation to the summit of Mt. Rainier than it is to SEA.    ;)

I'm not sure about the midwest, but east coast has had a pretty uneventful winter for the most part. Two weekends ago here in NYC there was a massive bust – NWS had a WSW issued for 10"+ of snow and virtually none fell! Gresham has easily had more snow the past month and a half than NYC has had all winter.

It’s been okay down here. Warmer than average temps but we’ve had ~ 25” of snow, including the 13” that fell in one storm back in January. Our average is 20”.

Not a great winter any stretch of the imagination, but it could have been worse. I’ll take warm+snowy over cold+dry anytime.

• Like 1

Anyway, that’s enough OT stuff from me. Just happy to have some nice weather for once. Almost never happens.

Anyway, that’s enough OT stuff from me. Just happy to have some nice weather for once. Almost never happens.

Low 70s with no humidity is pure hell... at least according to some of the people on here.   Uggghhhhhh.    ;)

To be fair, I’ve said repeatedly that low 70s and very dry is the most comfortable weather for me. I would hate to be stuck with that weather all year long, but a summer that never got above 80 degrees (with low humidity) would be perfect. I just wish severe thunderstorms could survive in a moisture starved environment.

I think the complaints start with the smokey 90+ degree weather (that I’ve been fortunate enough to avoid on both of my trips out there). I experienced it in Leavenworth to some degree last year, and I can see why many people don’t like it. I’d probably prefer cool drizzle to 95+ degree heat, even with those low dewpoints.

Last August was truly miserable with all the smoke.     I would be happy if we never saw a month like that again.   But I also don't want the other extreme.   Both mean that summer is not really summer and that sucks.

Last August was truly miserable with all the smoke.     I would be happy if we never saw a month like that again.   But I also don't want the other extreme.   Both mean that summer is not really summer and that sucks.

I won’t soon forget just how insanely Smoky it was in August.

048904B9-1C53-4698-9487-559637A33B40.jpeg

4196CCC4-F0B9-441D-B7FE-10BCFDD83006.jpeg

5F43C6E4-6EF7-44F6-83BF-51B54B8EC5ED.jpeg

• Like 1

Tim will be nicer to me now that I am a 49ers fan... I must say my buddy has made me a fan of two of my least favorite nfl teams.

Well... at least that is next closest NFL team to you in terms of distance.    :)

Still 54 here but now the clouds are getting thicker.

Hopefully that will keep it relatively warm tonight and the melting of the remaining snow will continue through the night.  

The below normal streak officially ended today at 40 days for SEA.

Today: 53/39

Normal: 53/39

On the nose.

Not official yet.   But I think the official high will likely be 54 on the 5 p.m. update.

Not official yet.   But I think the official high will likely be 54 on the 5 p.m. update.

"Below" normal. So with the recording of 53F last few hours, the streak is already broken.

Edit for clarification: But yes, we could still end up being 1-2F above normal so the 53 is NOT official.  :)

"Below" normal. So with the recording of 53F last few hours, the streak is already broken.

Edit for clarification: But yes, we could still end up being 1-2F above normal so the 53 is NOT official.  :)

54 on the hour at 5 p.m. and that is the high for the day.

We are getting to the time of year when the high temp can happen into the early evening.

It’s been okay down here. Warmer than average temps but we’ve had ~ 25” of snow, including the 13” that fell in one storm back in January. Our average is 20”.

Not a great winter any stretch of the imagination, but it could have been worse. I’ll take warm+snowy over cold+dry anytime.

it wasn't the worse winter I think what made it seem worse then stats would show is all the predictions from alot of promets calling for a very cold and snowy combination with lots of noreasters. That idea just did not play out to well clearly.but if one can look past the forecasted hype it was a fair winter better then the tottel crapfests like 2001-2002 97-98 72-73 2011-2012.

New study finds El Nino is correlated to rainfall on the west coast of N. America, but the relationship explains at most 1/3 of the observed variance. "Our analysis demonstrates that much of the winter rainfall variability along the US west coast is dominated by unpredicted variations in the 200 mb height field." 

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-18-0181.1

• Like 1

Well it now seems that everything is officially back to regular weather wise in the PNW for the most part. Everything’s starting to look like spring just as the warm weather came in my neighborhood tulips and other flowers are blooming. Was a cloudy day wish it would have been sunny but next week looks good :) great winter it was

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Well it now seems that everything is officially back to regular weather wise in the PNW for the most part. Everything’s starting to look like spring just as the warm weather came in my neighborhood tulips and other flowers are blooming. Was a cloudy day wish it would have been sunny but next week looks good :) great winter it was

Still looks December dormant around here.

Idiots hear some new term and run with it. The weather channel and local news needs to quit grandstanding this crap.

It's not like the term "bomb cyclone" is inaccurate. It's a cyclone that undergoes rapid cyclogenesis. It's not as rare as people think, though this one was very impressive from a pressure standpoint.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

It's not like the term "bomb cyclone" is inaccurate. It's a cyclone that undergoes rapid cyclogenesis. It's not as rare as people think, though this one was very impressive from a pressure standpoint.

We’re all aware of what it means. It’s just that they want to use it for ratings and clickbait. They want “you” to believe it’s some sort of result due to agw. Believe what you want youngster.