March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

I think my favorite is north Central WA or Western Montana.  I think northern CA could be pretty interesting along the I-5 corridor for the northern 50 miles of the state or so.  Pretty snowy winters there.

One thing worth noting about Siskiyou County, CA is that the Yreka area is in a rain shadow caused by Mount Shasta and the Klamath Mountains, just like Sequim, WA. The Shasta Valley looks visibly brown and barren, despite being west of the Cascades. Parts of the SV get 15" of rain a year which isn't much more than OR/WA east of the Cascades.

Yreka also gets about 12" of snow a year. Mount Shasta City gets 103".

12Z EPS is basically ridgy for the next 15 days... a small break down around days 8-10 as the trough moves through CA.    Then ridging really rebounds for the rest of the run.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That graphic is completely wrong for Portland... they are at 19.12 inches for the rainy season.   

Best to check when it seems completely crazy.   ;)

Yeah...I was going to say.  How would that incredibly low total be only slightly more less than normal than Seattle's much higher total.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

That’s your prerogative. During the eras when colder winters were actually common we definitely didn’t see scorching, bone dry warm seasons like the past few years. But if you need to spin it as a good thing to get you through until you are able to move I understand.

We used to have summers that were both cool and very dry.  Dry doesn't have to mean hot.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Have you noticed the "YTD"? That means "year-to-date". It starts on January 1st.

Seattle's rain data also looks wrong, but Portland and Santa Rosa look correct or close to it.

You really need to start fact checking stuff before you post.

Have you noticed the "YTD"? That means "year-to-date". It starts on January 1st.

Seattle's rain data also looks wrong, but Portland and Santa Rosa look correct or close to it.

Its crap data!  

Seattle is at 9.61 for the year and 24.89 for the rainy season.

Portland is at 7.75 for the year and 19.12 for the rainy season.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

We used to have summers that were both cool and very dry. Dry doesn't have to mean hot.

They were also relatively shorter. But yeah good luck to us getting a legitimately cool and dry summer in this modern climate regime. I think we will get a top tier arctic outbreak before that happens.

No sign of any change even at day 15 on the 12Z EPS.      This is a very Nino-like early spring pattern if I ever saw one.

eps-z500a-noram-61-1.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61-1.png

No sign of any change even at day 15 on the 12Z EPS. This is a very Nino-like early spring pattern if I ever saw one.

Are you done rooting for wet and mild since your snow will probably be melting soon without any rain assistance?

Are you done rooting for wet and mild since your snow will probably be melting soon without any rain assistance?

No... I would still love a period of wet and mild.   

But it looks like nothing but textbook Nino split flow ahead.

No... I would still love a period of wet and mild.

But it looks like nothing but textbook Nino split flow ahead.

Starting to look like that 5-6 week period of cold and snowy will be bookended by very typical Niño crap. Not how I saw things playing out.

Starting to look like that 5-6 week period of cold and snowy will be bookended by very typical Niño crap. Not how I saw things playing out.

SSW event enhanced by low solar blocking delivered and threw out Nino climo for awhile.    The cold event would probably not have lasted so long... but there was no jet stream to blast out the cold air over the western US in this blocky year.

SSW event enhanced by low solar blocking delivered and threw out Nino climo for awhile. The cold event would probably not have lasted so long... but there was no jet stream to blast out the cold air over the western US in this blocky low solar year.

Springs during the last low solar period (2008-12) were generally very cool and wet. I’m not sure if it’s as simple as low solar.

• Like 1

Springs during the last low solar period (2008-12) were generally very cool and wet. I’m not sure if it’s as simple as low solar.

I'm feeling 2009 for the rest of this Spring. Not the worst but not great either.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I'm feeling 2009 for the rest of this Spring. Not the worst but not great either.

Not the worst but not great could vary wildly depending on whose opinion we are talking about. Unless of course you are just talking about its valdiity as an analog. I would be reluctant using it since it was following a strong La Niña.

Happy to report that my snow depth is sitting below 30" for the first time since January! Measured 28" this morning with finally some average temps on the way.

The area where we need to put garden boxes in is still a 4-5ft deep drift though so that's gonna be a while before those go in. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Not the worst but not great could vary wildly depending on whose opinion we are talking about. Unless of course you are just talking about it’s valdiity as an analog. I would be reluctant using it since it was following a strong La Niña.

Yeah I see it more as coming off a blocky winter with a quickly warming ENSO.

Either way, you know me, I'm not a big fan of analogs in general.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

New 18z GFS showing a good rainy front coming in on Friday/Saturday now. We could get to 0.75" total by the end of the day Saturday.

Looks like the start of a troughing system that should bring a decent amount of rain. In classic Niño fashion, California will be hit harder than Oregon.

They were also relatively shorter. But yeah good luck to us getting a legitimately cool and dry summer in this modern climate regime. I think we will get a top tier arctic outbreak before that happens.

Let's see what the new solar regime might have to say about our summer patterns.  As I've said before the only difference between a scorching dry summer and a cool dry one is which ridge dominates.  If the Pacific Ridge becomes more dominant during summer again we will see considerably cooler summers.  This stuff is all cyclical.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's going to be very interesting to see where ENSO goes as the year wears on.  We have some warm subsurface that is going to surface pretty soon, but it's still way too early to make any calls for next winter.  We've never had a multi year Nino at solar minimum in the period of record so statiscally a Nino isn't likely for next winter.  You also have the fact the last multi year Nino wasn't that long ago, and we haven't had a major Nina since.  It wouldn't be shocking to see a Nino peak in the spring and then fall through the summer and autumn.  Just too early to tell yet.  This is one time I want to see a neutral ENSO winter so bad I can taste it.  The incredible February we just had leaves us primed for something great next winter if ENSO doesn't mess it up.  If we do end up with a major Nino next winter we could still see cold early at least historically speaking.  This time we want neutral...maybe even weak Nino would work.  

All this having been said we just had a February we had no business having with a Nino in progress so there is that....

BTW I also agree with Phil that if we do have a Nino next winter we should be poised for a multi year Nina afterward.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No sign of any change even at day 15 on the 12Z EPS.      This is a very Nino-like early spring pattern if I ever saw one.

eps-z500a-noram-61-1.png

eps-t850a-5d-noram-61-1.png

Check out the 18z GFS. Way more rain than the 12z. All of Western Oregon and Washington will be getting 2"+, even the Olympic Rainshadow.

Check out the 18z GFS. Way more rain than the 12z. All of Western Oregon and Washington will be getting 2"+, even the Olympic Rainshadow.

Not very meaningful given the consistency of the EPS.   

And you cannot say anything "will be" happening based on the 18Z GFS.  I would never say a a big ridge will be coming based on the 18Z GFS if the EPS has been consistently showing cold troughing.     ;)

And there it is.

And what would you say to me if I excitedly proclaimed lots of ridging was coming based on one run of the 18Z GFS and in direct contrast with an EPS showing cold troughing for the next 15 days?    You would have no problem at all pointing out my error in logic as soon as possible.    I would also point out that out to someone else.

Let's see what the new solar regime might have to say about our summer patterns. As I've said before the only difference between a scorching dry summer and a cool dry one is which ridge dominates. If the Pacific Ridge becomes more dominant during summer again we will see considerably cooler summers. This stuff is all cyclical.

The “new regime” talk has been happening here for going on 15 years now. Will believe it when I see it.

And what would you say to me if I excitedly proclaimed lots of ridging was coming based on one run of the 18Z GFS and in direct contrast with an EPS showing cold troughing for the next 15 days? You would have no problem at all pointing out my error in logic as soon as possible. I would also point out that out to someone else.

No one else holds a candle, bud.

Not very meaningful given the consistency of the EPS.

And you cannot say anything "will be" happening based on the 18Z GFS. I would never say a a big ridge will be coming based on the 18Z GFS if the EPS has been consistently showing cold troughing. ;)

Yeah, “will be” was a mistake on my part. The correct term is “the model is showing”.

I need to stop over-relying on GFS as well.

• Like 1

Yeah, “will be” was a mistake on my part. The correct term is “the model is showing”.

I need to stop over-relying on GFS as well.

It could happen.