March 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

BLI snowman

Joking aside it’s actually pretty nice out there. We are lucky since the east wind is holding us in the upper 60s which is just about perfect for a warm day this time of year. Visibility is great too with all of the dry air. I will definitely be ready for some cooler temps and rain by the end of the week, though.

I can’t even make one post criticizing SEA’s warm bias without Tim storming in like Vince McMahon.

4r6lHTF.gif

• Like 2

Guest Sounder

79 at SEA.

Hottest March day in history.

I didn't realize that the March record for SEA was so low. Pretty impressive in that case.

I have to say, aside from just getting personally unlucky by being in PDX for Seattle's big snows last month, the last month and a half of weather here has been absolute perfection in my book. As far as the larger patterns have gone, late winter heading into Spring has played out as if I had picked exactly what I wanted myself. Give me some cooler rainy weather during the next few weeks, then pop us back to around 80 around the start of April, rinse and repeat until June and it's about as close to my ideal climate as I could ask for. Will have to remind myself of this stretch next time I'm ready to jump off the ledge after a snowless January.

A little toasty in my truck when I got in it a bit ago. The “outside” temp is in the back bed/canopy of my truck. It stays nice and cool in there if I have the canopy windows open but everything was still shut tight from the winter.

I know many people are hating this weather...I am loving it!!

64F680F4-CE78-4448-B654-2EBC3BC4BEFA.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I like this east wind- just wish it were a bit stronger

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Oh yeah, Mr. Niño is coming and he’s on ‘roids. The downwelling OKW as of today is one of the most impressive on record at its present longitude. And you know I’m not a super niño hype machine. In fact, most of the time I’m actually trolling CPC and the east coast weenies who are always rooting for niños.

But unless there’s a fantastic collapse that obliterates our understanding of the system and defies all historical observations, the odds of a heavy niño in 2019/20 are probably as high as they’ve been since 1997.

A little toasty in my truck when I got in it a bit ago. The “outside” temp is in the back bed/canopy of my truck. It stays nice and cool in there if I have the canopy windows open but everything was still shut tight from the winter.

I know many people are hating this weather...I am loving it!!

Those would be new March records at SEA. Absolutely stupendously incredible!! So hard to get record warmth like this these days, we need to really enjoy it when it comes!

What a weird way to score hottest March SEA day. The ridge is not even that strong???

Perfect storm of offshore flow to really maximize things at that specific location. Add in a dash of UHI and a couple new runways and you've got yourself a record.

• Like 1

Perfect storm of offshore flow to really maximize things at that specific location. Add in a dash of UHI and a couple new runways and you've got yourself a record.

Fake record.

No, really. I doubt that record would have been set without the 3rd runway and surrounding urbanization. Just a microcosm of the mismanagement of the climate record in this country.

• Like 1

Fake record.

No, really. I doubt that record would have been set without the 3rd runway and surrounding urbanization. Just a microcosm of the mismanagement of the climate record in this country.

There are stations all around SEA that are in the upper 70s to low 80s right now.

Orting is at 80... Federal Way station is at 83... Bonney Lake is at 79... and KRNT is also at 79 just a couple miles away.

There is a strong east wind blowing and the maximum warmth is usually at the western extent of the outflow.   You just don't understand our microclimates and want to throw out SEA as some outlier when its actually right in line with all the stations around it.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I’m not sure if the third runway is a big a player as it would be with N/NE winds (since the sensor is S/SW of that concrete jungle). And the atmosphere is well mixed so that nullifies the urban effects to some extent.

But the conduction of heat into the lower atmosphere via concrete and other low/albedo surfaces with reduced emissivity can still spike temps 2-3 degrees even on windy, well mixed days. I’ve experimented with this effect using a synchrodyne sensor. It’s no joke.

Fake record.

Don't get me wrong I hate the fact that record is being kept at SEA as we've seen several "fake records" before. However, today or yesterday isn't much of an outlier for SEA as there are numerous stations across the Sound that are approaching 80. This is one of those instance where you need to throw UHI out the window and contribute this warmth to the strong East wind. 

And it has nothing to do with the 3rd runway either (today).

There is a strong east wind blowing and the maximum warmth is usually at the western extent of the outflow. You just don't understand our microclimates and want to throw out SEA as some outlier when its actually right in line with all the stations around it.

I understand downslope warming better than you do..it’s more common here than it is there.

I’m sure SEA is “in line” with a multitude of nearby stations near/within downtown Seattle, and stations that are poorly sited. That doesn’t make the record any less artificial.

Got much windier just now. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I understand downslope warming better than you do..it’s more common here than it is there.

I’m sure SEA is “in line” with a multitude of nearby stations near/within downtown Seattle, and stations that are poorly sited. That doesn’t make the record any less artificial.

Enuwclaw is far from SEA and most development and is pushing 80 right now.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Don't get me wrong I hate the fact that record is being kept at SEA as we've seen several "fake records" before. However, today or yesterday isn't much of an outlier for SEA as there are numerous stations across the Sound that are approaching 80. This is one of those instance where you need to throw UHI out the window and contribute this warmth to the strong East wind.

And it has nothing to do with the 3rd runway either (today).

I’m looking at the NOAA MADIS map and as far as I’m able to see, all of those very high readings are occcurring in stations sited in relatively urban locations.

Tim has repeatedly told me that downtown North Bend is often warmer than SEA on downslope days. And and I see are low/mid 70s up there.

PPPs5Jm.jpg

Guest Sounder

Trying to decide which is less likely: that it's actually almost 90 degrees on parts of Capitol Hill, or that 4 stations in close proximity are all off by 10 degrees. Both seem unlikely but I'm not home right now to just pop my head outside and confirm.

post-389-0-53409800-1553034906_thumb.png

• Like 1

80 here.

Only because of the massive urban development in your area and all the runways built around your house.

Today would have been in the 50s without all of that. :)

Only because of the massive urban development in your area and all the runways built around your house.

Today would have been in the 50s without all of that. :)

Without all my annoying neighbors and stuff around here I'd still be getting 35 and wet snow. Gosh darn it.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I’m looking at the NOAA MADIS map and as far as I’m able to see, all of those very high readings are occcurring in stations sited in relatively urban locations.

Tim has repeatedly told me that downtown North Bend is often warmer than SEA on downslope days. And and I see are low/mid 70s up there.

All depends on the strength of the offshore flow.   It will be warmer to the west when the flow is really strong like today.   Portland experiences the same thing but they get less downslope warming there overall. 

Or North Bend can be the hot spot in the state with weak offshore flow and downslope warming.

And the discussion about downslope warming in the winter is usually related to night time lows.   It can be 30 in Olympia and in the 50s here with an east wind.   All about exposure to the east wind and mixing and we are very exposed to the east wind out here.

You just don't understand our microclimates... and its more fun to say I am completely making it up because I live at 7,000 feet.   :lol: