East Wind Damage

Snowman5678

I went up some forest roads on Saturday south of Index and noticed in this certain area along side the mountain there were lots of trees with the tops snapped off. I realized that it was because of east winds roaring down the mountain side and probably speeding up as they went. all of these probably snapped during the last east wind storm...I wonder how fast the wind was going. 

1974348_747317088646188_1142490642_o.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went up some forest roads on Saturday south of Index and noticed in this certain area along side the mountain there were lots of trees with the tops snapped off. I realized that it was because of east winds roaring down the mountain side and probably speeding up as they went. all of these probably snapped during the last east wind storm...I wonder how fast the wind was going. 

1974348_747317088646188_1142490642_o.jpg

That could have been caused by east winds in combo with freezing rain. That would be very extreme damage for just wind.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I miss Rob.  I talked to him a few times and his a pretty decent person that is under a lot of stress especially when certain users couldn't understand his technical posts but I enjoyed learning from him regardless.  

I have Autism which means when I have a one track mind in which I can learn quite a bit if I am not distracted and focus on my interests.

Will he ever post his East Wind models up again?

I miss Rob.  I talked to him a few times and his a pretty decent person that is under a lot of stress especially when certain users couldn't understand his technical posts but I enjoyed learning from him regardless.  

I have Autism which means when I have a one track mind in which I can learn quite a bit if I am not distracted and focus on my interests.

Will he ever post his East Wind models up again?

I imagine he will next winter.

BTW I have come to realize I may have Aspergers myself. It took many years for it to click into place, but my extreme obsession with certain aspects of weather and aversion to people in general are pretty telling signs. Strangely I have none of the problems with writing that many people with Aspergers have. Kind of an odd case I guess.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I imagine he will next winter.

BTW I have come to realize I may have Aspergers myself. It took many years for it to click into place, but my extreme obsession with certain aspects of weather and aversion to people in general are pretty telling signs. Strangely I have none of the problems with writing that many people with Aspergers have. Kind of an odd case I guess.

I am fairly familiar with aspergers ( I work one on one with lots of kids in the autism spectrum in my line of work) and just judging from your posts I would say that, even if you may have some traits, it is probably at "worst" a very mild form.

I think you will find lots of people who lean in that direction (but may not necessarily be diagnosed or even have it affect their day to day lives in a negative way) in this kind of science-based online community. I certainly know that my interest in weather, and especially specific aspects of it, is borderline obsessive. I could talk the ears off of everyone I know about certain stats, etc but I know that would not be socially acceptable or always appreciated, so I don't. That's what this forum is for ;). I guess it's that social awareness aspect that would separate me from someone with true aspergers.

I have always found common ground with people with aspergers as far as their degree of intense interest in highly specific topics goes, though.

I imagine he will next winter.BTW I have come to realize I may have Aspergers myself. It took many years for it to click into place, but my extreme obsession with certain aspects of weather and aversion to people in general are pretty telling signs. Strangely I have none of the problems with writing that many people with Aspergers have. Kind of an odd case I guess.

I would seek a professional diagnosis.

I am fairly familiar with aspergers ( I work one on one with lots of kids in the autism spectrum in my line of work) and just judging from your posts I would say that, even if you may have some traits, it is probably at "worst" a very mild form.

I think you will find lots of people who lean in that direction (but may not necessarily be diagnosed or even have it affect their day to day lives in a negative way) in this kind of science-based online community. I certainly know that my interest in weather, and especially specific aspects of it, is borderline obsessive. I could talk the ears off of everyone I know about certain stats, etc but I know that would not be socially acceptable or always appreciated, so I don't. That's what this forum is for ;). I guess it's that social awareness aspect that would separate me from someone with true aspergers.

I have always found common ground with people with aspergers as far as their degree of intense interest in highly specific topics goes, though.

You could be right. I fluctuate between thinking I have it and thinking I don't. I have the same consideration about talking people's ears off as you do.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It is interesting that so many people who have an intense interest in weather are somewhere on the spectrum. My wife is an expert in the field, for three years she ran a program for about 20 adults with autism, and now she works for Marion County in the field. I heard the other day that they now say that 1 in 68 children is somewhere on the spectrum. That is an astounding statistic and is a result of both better diagnosis and environmental factors according to experts. The good news is that treatment and services are much improved in comparison to years past.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

• 1 month later...