Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Models have locked in on a trace-2" for me. Kind of a let down, but I suppose better than continued mid 60s!

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

72F at KSLC for the latest reading so high on record, latest freeze and longest freeze free period will fall tomorrow (most likely) or be tied at least. 

Still looking for a bit of snow but its pretty anemic looking now. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

72F at KSLC for the latest reading so high on record, latest freeze and longest freeze free period will fall tomorrow (most likely) or be tied at least. 

Apparently it hit 73 at the SLC airport.  

Anyway, 71 here.  This breaks all records for the latest reading so late in the year.   Denver hit an impressive 77 as well.

Apparently it hit 73 at the SLC airport.  

Anyway, 71 here.  This breaks all records for the latest reading so late in the year.   Denver hit an impressive 77 as well.

Its 68F at my house right now! Meanwhile at the airport a lake breeze has dropped it to 46F. It's only a few miles away so its impressive. 

Still looking for a bit of snow but its pretty anemic looking now. 

It is amazing how warm this fall has been so far for a large part of the country, and that not only includes our areas, but much of the eastern half of the nation as well. It does appear that changes are finally on the way which include colder weather and even some snow in some places. Hopefully you can manage to get at least some snow from the system that you're watching!

It is amazing how warm this fall has been so far for a large part of the country, and that not only includes our areas, but much of the eastern half of the nation as well. 

Yes, it seems to be the entire nation (?) with the possible exception of parts of Hawaii.   Are there any other parts of the nation that have had a cool fall?  

Low 50s this afternoon with NW winds and cooler air blowing in. Upper level front is strengthening rapidly to the west. Should be fun watching it roll in. 

The first flakes of the year are flying now!

Looks like a very intense band is approaching from the NW now. 

• Like 3

It snowed most of the night. It remained above freezing until about 2 am which limited accumulations. I measured 3.2" on the grass this morning and had a low of 29.8F. 

As best as I can tell the airport never hit freezing lol

• Like 2

It snowed most of the night. It remained above freezing until about 2 am which limited accumulations. I measured 3.2" on the grass this morning and had a low of 29.8F. 

As best as I can tell the airport never hit freezing lol

Not bad! Probably better than I'll end up doing. Snow is snow, just excited to (hopefully) finally get some.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Something tells me you will be seeing your usual winter climo of bi-weekly snow derechos starting any day now.

You're a funny dude. I'm more pessimistic about winter here than in the PNW, at least relative to climo. Storm track looks unfavorable, and that's literally all that matters for us. :(

Ended up with a low of 17. Looks like DEN hit at least 15.

Couple of pics from my drive in to work today.

attachicon.gifIMG_20161118_074052070.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20161118_075051779.jpg

Looks like you did pretty well. How much did you end up with?

Got up to 45F today but still have snow everywhere that is shady and in a lot of places that get sun even. 

Extended forecast looks interesting with above normal heights in NE Canada and a low amplitude pacific ridge. This could funnel the storm track into the mountain west for some cooler weather and snow at times. 

Still got an inch of snow left in the shady areas. Not sure how since its 64 F right now. 

Looks rainy on Monday. 

What kind of snow totals do you normally receive each year?

82.0 inches is average.  

Since we have lived here (2004), the lowest annual snowfall was 55.7 inches in 2005 (though it was a bigger total for the mountains).  Despite a good start in January and February where 31 inches of snow fell, we are only at 47.3 inches of snow thus far this year.   If December continues the dry trend, it might be the least snowiest year since we have lived here.

The lowest snowfall season was 47.7 inches 2014-2015.  2011-2012 may have been lower than this, but data for April and May is missing at the weather station and it did snow during those months.  

In the last 12 seasons, two had snowfall totals of more than 100 inches 107.6 in 2011-2012 and 106.0 in 2007-2008) and two others were close to 100 inches.   3 seasons have had snowfall totals of less than 60 inches.  

Before this November the latest first snow I have seen was November 5 2005, so this year's November 18 is way later than that.  Even before we lived here, the latest first snow was supposedly November 15 1989.   Records go back to 1894, though a few years are missing.  

• Like 1

82.0 inches is average.  

Since we have lived here (2004), the lowest annual snowfall was 55.7 inches in 2005 (though it was a bigger total for the mountains).  Despite a good start in January and February where 31 inches of snow fell, we are only at 47.3 inches of snow thus far this year.   If December continues the dry trend, it might be the least snowiest year since we have lived here.

The lowest snowfall season was 47.7 inches 2014-2015.  2011-2012 may have been lower than this, but data for April and May is missing at the weather station and it did snow during those months.  

In the last 12 seasons, two had snowfall totals of more than 100 inches 107.6 in 2011-2012 and 106.0 in 2007-2008) and two others were close to 100 inches.   3 seasons have had snowfall totals of less than 60 inches.  

Before this November the latest first snow I have seen was November 5 2005, so this year's November 18 is way later than that.  Even before we lived here, the latest first snow was supposedly November 15 1989.   Records go back to 1894, though a few years are missing.  

Interesting. Your average is a little higher than mine (around 70"), but I see more variable seasons - anywhere from 34-116" in the 10 winters I've been here.

A forum for the end of the world.

They already have! Upcoming pattern looks so much better than what we've seen this fall.

Well, at least they are modeled to do so :)

I really like the set up overall. Should bring a number of small systems dropping a little snow each time. There is the possibility near the 29th I could get a lot of snow if it sets up just right. 

Interesting. Your average is a little higher than mine (around 70"), but I see more variable seasons - anywhere from 34-116" in the 10 winters I've been here.

Yes.  I have noticed that the Front Range cities seem to have a feast or famine snow season.

Other differences:

We have more snow days, but your area actually has bigger snowstorms.   It is fairly rare where we will see more than 12 inches of snow in a 24 hour period.  We also get most of our snow in winter, and usually don't have those huge spring storms that you guys sometimes have, though it does snow here in spring (and sometimes as late as mid-June).  

Also interesting is that while we have had snow later than your area (the latest big snow was 7 inches on June 14 1976), the Denver area has had earlier snowstorms than we have.   We have had traces of snow as early as September 2, but nothing as much as an inch before September 18.   Denver has actually had snow earlier than this on several occasions.

When it does snow here, our snow tends to stick around a lot longer.   Snow is usually on the ground for several months here since we don't have the chinooks.  In January, our record high is only 52.   The Front Range cities get much warmer than this almost every year.  December and January have never hit 60 here.    Until last year, February hadn't either.    

The earliest I have seen the last of the snow melt in my yard is March 31 (2007).   Usually the last of the winter snow melts in April (though some falls after the winter snow melts).   In 2008, I had continuous snowbanks in the shade into May (meaning there wasn't a day before May that didn't have any snow on the ground).  

Credit to wxbell for the meteogram.

This is as outrageous a forecast as I've ever seen from the GFS. I hope it verifies. 

KU42_2016112006_tx_240.png

.33" so far with the system moving through. Probably another .1-.2" tonight. 

Still looking for some snow on Wed evening. I am forecasting 1-3" at this point but could easily be a little more or less. 

My forecast was terrible yesterday, it ended up raining a lot. KSLC ended up with .92" with most of the resorts got 8-14" of wet snow. A very beneficial storm.

Next storm system rolls in tomorrow. I am thinking 1-2" for me is the most likely outcome, but lake effect could boost that a bit. 

• Like 1

My forecast was terrible yesterday, it ended up raining a lot. KSLC ended up with .92" with most of the resorts got 8-14" of wet snow. A very beneficial storm.

Next storm system rolls in tomorrow. I am thinking 1-2" for me is the most likely outcome, but lake effect could boost that a bit. 

Glad to hear that your area got some beneficial rain. Socal had some beneficial rain this weekend as well. It has been rather dry in many areas this fall and it is good to see at least some of these areas getting precip now.

Hopefully this whole region continues to get more storms as we go into December!

Glad to hear that your area got some beneficial rain. Socal had some beneficial rain this weekend as well. It has been rather dry in many areas this fall and it is good to see at least some of these areas getting precip now.

Hopefully this whole region continues to get more storms as we go into December!

I think that the potential is there for rains to continue at times down there. We are getting a lot of deep and cold troughs digging out of the NW. I would guess at times they will impact you. It is definitely welcome to see a change from the last few years!

• Like 1