Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Looking a little better for tonight. I am now thinking 2-4" at my place. Should be a fun little storm. Next system will arrive on Sunday. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I've got 1.3" so far, a lot of areas with more though.

Lake effect snow is kicking in so hopefully I can spend some time under the bands until they quit. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I ended up with 1.6", less than I had expected but a good storm either way.

Here is a video from the University of Utah as front approached. Shelf cloud-like feature along the front. 

I ended up with 1.6", less than I had expected but a good storm either way.

Here is a video from the University of Utah as front approached. Shelf cloud-like feature along the front. 

How much snow is forecast this weekend? I assume the ski resorts are open in Utah.

How much snow is forecast this weekend? I assume the ski resorts are open in Utah.

Nobody has been open but I think a few are starting to open up. With the two bigger storms of the past week the base went from about 0 to  about 20" at some of the resorts.

This next storm will probably drop a ton of snow up there. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 day totals of 2-3 feet in locations like the Cottonwood canyons. 

Nobody has been open but I think a few are starting to open up. With the two bigger storms of the past week the base went from about 0 to  about 20" at some of the resorts.

This next storm will probably drop a ton of snow up there. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 day totals of 2-3 feet in locations like the Cottonwood canyons. 

Hopefully you guys get a good snowfall soon, so the resorts can open up for the Holidays and to start building the snowpack!

• Like 1

There is a winter storm watch up for 4-8" along the wasatch front. Then a warning for 18-30" in the mountains. We need a lot more of this!

• Like 1

Most valley locations just 1-3" so far, but more coming tonight. I've had about 6" at my place. Probably pick up 1-2" of additional snow tonight before things wrap up. 

Another chance of 1-3" on Thursday, and again around the 6th or so of December. 

Both November and the fall season were the warmest on record for SLC. Pretty much happens every year it feels like :P

The system for Monday has been pretty much watered down to nothing in terms of snow, but it still looks real cold early next week with some highs in the 20s and some lows around 10. 

Both November and the fall season were the warmest on record for SLC. Pretty much happens every year it feels like :P

The system for Monday has been pretty much watered down to nothing in terms of snow, but it still looks real cold early next week with some highs in the 20s and some lows around 10. 

We've been getting "inside sliders" [troughs moving well east of California]. I figured Utah would score from these systems.

We've been getting "inside sliders" [troughs moving well east of California]. I figured Utah would score from these systems.

Precipitation has been a bit above normal, but its been warm for the most part. The last week or two has been cooler finally though. Mostly its just bad luck since we have had a good pattern but not a lot of valley snow to show for it. 

Afternoon high of just 33F today with a dusting of snow this morning. Looks like maybe an inch tomorrow. Also very cold wed here with a high in the low 20s and a low near 10. 

Could be a snowstorm on Thursday-Friday...but its going to be close to being just rain. 

Thoughts on snow amounts for Denver? GFS seems insistent on about .40-.50 of precip across the metro. Is this model an outlier?

I think the GFS tends to overdo precip in this situation. I like 3-6" across most the metro for this storm. The high water ratio will help, of course.

A forum for the end of the world.

27 F here right now after a low of 21 F. It would have been colder but there were too many clouds. 

Looking for a few sloppy inches of snow Thursday night into Friday if it works out right before it switches to rain. I will be out of town in San Francisco the 11-16th, then Abilene Tx the 16-23rd. 

Yesterday was my first high below freezing at 31F. Today is the first sub 30 day at 29F. 

NWS hoisted a Winter storm warning for 6-12" for me, and 2-4" in the neighboring county to the south. Regardless, I would be shocked if that much snow fell. 

If only it had a bit more moisture to work with! I'm still anxiously awaiting the first good snowfall. I'm not familiar with the climate here, but from the look of things, that may not happen until late winter/early spring.

It's unusual to not get a 3-6" snowfall by late December/early January.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Looks to be some light snow at my place today. I am away in San Francisco now but at least we will see some heavy rain tomorrow.

Wow. NWS going with a high of 6 on Saturday, and low of -7 that night. Pretty unusual for them to go that cold more than 2-3 days out. Possible top-tier Arctic event coming up.

Been watching that area because I like to give my Aunt in Greeley updates. Looks like some good potential coming up. I'm not too familiar with your climate, but that's some nasty cold headed your way Saturday morning after some snowfall the day/night before