Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

A bit cooler today, but really heating up again the next few days. Upper 90s by Sunday. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

More hot weather with 90s today through Friday probably. After that models are in good agreement for a strong and cold trough to move in. Most models are sparse on precip but with 700mb temps falling to -4 to -6C or so it will feel much cooler. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Is the heat unseasonably early for Utah/ Colorado?

Average is 80F today, and so it represents well above average temperatures. But in reality I think this time of year there is a pretty big spread in what is 'normal', and to that end this is probably just a bit above what we usually see at some point in the first half of June. 

Average is 80F today, and so it represents well above average temperatures. But in reality I think this time of year there is a pretty big spread in what is 'normal', and to that end this is probably just a bit above what we usually see at some point in the first half of June. 

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant, too. We usually see our first stint in the low/mid 90s sometime in the first half of June.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Looks like we'll only top out in the upper 80's here for one day (Thursday) before the bottom drops out once again with highs in the 50's over the weekend. Could possibly see a few flakes in the air by the end of the weekend into early next week as well.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looks like we'll only top out in the upper 80's here for one day (Thursday) before the bottom drops out once again with highs in the 50's over the weekend. Could possibly see a few flakes in the air by the end of the weekend into early next week as well.

The flakes part is looking pretty unlikely.

The flakes part is looking pretty unlikely.

Yeah the models have trended quite a bit warmer today as the PacNW trough gets pinched off and doesn't progress inland. Looks like next week could be a real soaker now. Would rather see some good natural watering than a few flakes at this point of the year anyway.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Last night was warm. When I went to bed it was in the mid 70s but I had my fans in the window. I woke up to 82F at 1 am and had to switch to AC. 

Still looking for some rain but models have pushed it back to Mon-Tues. 

56F this morning. If the temperature holds until midnight, this will be the second warmest low ever for June and by far the warmest this early in the season, at least at the airport.

Seems like you guys get that sort of record all the time lately.

56F this morning.  If the temperature holds until midnight, this will be the second warmest low ever for June and by far the warmest this early in the season, at least at the airport.   

Looks like it hit 52.

Not even close to the warmest this early for Craig, as far as I can tell from WRCC records. But the airport doesn't seem to be on there.

Looks like it hit 52.

Not even close to the warmest this early for Craig, as far as I can tell from WRCC records. But the airport doesn't seem to be on there.

From some reason, WRCC uses the Craig 4SW station.  NOAA uses the Craig Moffat Station, which is at the airport and is much more representative for town (and is also where the 52F you pointed out came from) .

Craig 4SW sits on a hill at the mine and usually warmer (and windier) at night.   Temperatures in the valley floor and in town are usually colder; significantly so on cold, clear nights, and during cold snaps.  Even though the elevation change is only a few hundred feet, it makes a big difference.

Here is the location of each station:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1000797.PNG

Here is a chart showing the difference in night temperatures for both locations.   Especially compare the extremes.   I used the 1981-2010 period so both periods of records are for the same years:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1000796.PNG

Another good reason to use the Craig Airport station rather than the Craig 4SW station is because the Craig 4SW station is full of missing data.  Also, the data isn't always taken accurately (I used to work at the place taking the data and can attest to this!).

Here are the two stations so far this month:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1000798.PNG

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1000799.PNG

There hasn't been that significant difference in night temperatures since it has been cloudy, but you can certainly can make a big difference on clear nights.

Check out the difference during the cold snap last January:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1000800.PNG

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1000801.PNG

The difference for the coldest readings actually quite significant, especially considering that both stations aren't that far from each other.  Our location is a good example to show the effect on cold air drainage within a short amount of distance and elevation change.

As far why WRCC uses the Craig 4SW station rather than the Craig Moffat Station is something I don't know.  The Craig Moffat Station is certainly more representative of town and has a lot less missing data.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, at the Airport, the 52F was the warmest low that early in the season, but only by one day.  On June 8th it was 53F in 2006.

At the Airport, it was 50F on May 23 2009, May 30 2014, and June 2009, but June 7 2017 was the first 52.

Had the temperature not dropped to 52F later in the day (it was 56F in the morning), it would have been the warmest low until June 27 2012 when it was 57F.

• Like 1

A bit cooler today at my place, I maxed out at 85F. Just to the south there was a stalled front with warm and windy weather south of there.

A gust front is moving in from the NW and should cool us off nicely for the evening. 

Had a high of 86º here yesterday which was the warmest day of the year for me. Big crash today with a high of only 60º and some light rain that moved in this evening.

Early next week is still looking like real soaker. Expecting 1-3" of rainfall with highs likely only topping out in the 40's on Tuesday. Possibly some record low maximum temps will be broken if current guidance verifies.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Brisk day today here with a high of 54º and off and on showers. River and lake levels are running really high so definitely some hydrologic concerns already ahead of the incoming strong system on Monday/Tuesday. Went on a hike in Hyalite Canyon today and the Reservoir is at its brim and being released already. Can also confirm the snow level was at about 7,000' during our hike. 

DSC_0613.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Brisk day today here with a high of 54º and off and on showers. River and lake levels are running really high so definitely some hydrologic concerns already ahead of the incoming strong system on Monday/Tuesday. Went on a hike in Hyalite Canyon today and the Reservoir is at its brim and being released already. Can also confirm the snow level was at about 7,000' during our hike. 

attachicon.gifDSC_0613.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2627.JPG

Beautiful area. I'm at the bottom of the trough; it is only 69F and mostly cloudy. Nice end to spring. 

• Like 1

Strong to severe storms are moving north through Yellowstone west entrance currently and maturing. Large hail and strong winds is looking like a good bet as the line of storms moves up here over the next hour or so. Winds are already gusting to about 40mph from the east as the low approaches here.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

26F this morning downtown; I had 22F at the house.   Chilly for mid-June, especially since it was 85F yesterday.

There must not any gardens there.   That is about as cold as it gets here in many winters and would be completely unheard of to be that cold in the summer. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

There must not any gardens there.   That is about as cold as it gets here in many winters and would be completely unheard of to be that cold in the summer. 

Things that grow underground will grow in a garden here; i.e. carrots or potatoes.  Some friends grow tomatoes by bringing them inside at night or by having a greenhouse.  

Hay, alfalfa, and winter wheat are crops that grow well here.

By Monday, we're supposed to be in the 90's:

http://f1.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.516947536100986&lon=-107.55189507739516#.WUAPZ-vyvIU

No rain or snow in sight.

Overall, it has been a very warm June thus far:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1001063.JPG

Before today, every day this month thus far has been above normal in temperature.

1.5" of rain over the last 24 hours and counting here. Had a low of 37º up to a current high of 41º as of noon at the house.

Snow level is just up the hill around 6,500ft. Should be a beautiful day tomorrow with fresh snow capped peaks around the area once the ULL departs.

Fun fact: On this date in 2001 Bozeman had 14.3" of snow with a similar but slightly cooler ULL. Even with the anomalous cool and wet ULL on this date Bozeman still had a high of 59º. The record daily low maximum for today is 50º set back in 1894. Looks like it should fall...currently only 43º as of noon!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yesterday sure was nice! Next few days will be warmer but reasonable. Looking like some very hot weather for my area and most of the west next week though. 700 mb temps as high as +20C could mean low 100s. 

Been below to well below average here for the last ~10 days but finally a little warmth over the next couple of days. Should top out in the mid 80's tomorrow before the ridge flattens and a cold front pushes through on Thursday/Friday.

Speaking of said cold front, it looks pretty strong for late June. 700mb temps look to drop to around -6c which would bring snowfall to the hills around town on Saturday morning. Several 12z ECMWF EPS ensemble members even show accumulating snow down to the valley floor. Either way, something interesting to track over the next few days.

Cold Season 2023/24:

93F here today, looks hot through Wed, and pretty hot till Friday. Should see some low 80s over the weekend at least. 

Even with my terrible insolation, I have tried to avoid using AC so far this summer. Last night was pretty rough since it only got down to 70F outside, so its still quite warm inside even this morning (82 when I went to bed, 77 now). Probably going to top 90F in my house today lol

Even with my terrible insolation, I have tried to avoid using AC so far this summer. Last night was pretty rough since it only got down to 70F outside, so its still quite warm inside even this morning (82 when I went to bed, 77 now). Probably going to top 90F in my house today lol

Probably worth using the AC at this point. I can't imagine trying to sleep in a house with temps 85+.

Probably worth using the AC at this point. I can't imagine trying to sleep in a house with temps 85+.

Perhaps! I am getting used to it surprisingly quickly. Low 80s at bedtime don't bother me too much after doing it for a few times. 

Perhaps! I am getting used to it surprisingly quickly. Low 80s at bedtime don't bother me too much after doing it for a few times. 

I honestly can't imagine going to bed with a house temp above 80!

Cold Season 2023/24: