Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Down to 36F here this morning with a rain/snow mix currently. 38F in town.

700mb temps are currently at -3C and should continue to drop throughout the day and modeled to bottom out at -7C by tomorrow morning. Should easily be enough for sticking snow here by later this afternoon and likely down to downtown by later tonight.

I still feel like 3-6" is a good forecast for here and 1-2" in downtown Bozeman.

First snows of the year are always exciting and fun to track, I'll take pics once it starts to accumulate!

Definitely! I've only had one September snow since I've lived here, enjoy.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

No thanks!

Give me snow between Thanksgiving and Valentines Day.

I would not like going from hot and smoky to snow.   Too extreme.   Our garden is still going gangbusters.   :)

On the upside... this is literally the first time I have not seen smoke on the Flathead Lake cam in weeks.  

It's not like this is the norm though. Obviously all of the NW had a horrible fire season this year and we happened to go straight from one extreme to the other this year. But it's nowhere near normal for mid September. Nor were all the fires and smoke.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's not like this is the norm though. Obviously all of the NW had a horrible fire season this year and we happened to go straight from one extreme to the other this year. But it's nowhere near normal for mid September. Nor were all the fires and smoke.

This might have been more extreme than usual... but snow is still possible for most of the year.

We love our long growing season.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This might have been more extreme than usual... but snow is still possible for most of the year.

We love our long growing season.   :)

Yeah, very short growing season here obviously. Theoretically, it can snow here every month of the year but you're almost guaranteed no snow in July and August at least!

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

It's sort of funny that you like using the word sanctimonious on me.

No.   You attack and then step back and act innocent.   I am not attacking Kayla and then telling her to calm down.    :rolleyes:

This is just discussing the differences between our climate zones.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No. You attack and then step back and act innocent. I am not attacking Kayla and then telling her to calm down. :rolleyes:

This is just discussing the differences between our climate zones.

You are derailing a thread about a significant early season snow event to bash on a different climate. You have already clearly delineated your issues with the climate out there several dozen times. We all know you like a longer growing season. It feels like you think if you repeat it enough everyone will start to think like you. It just doesn't work that way. People are always going to have some opinions that don't match yours, and you will always be enraged by it. Or not. In the end it's up to you.

You are derailing a thread about a significant early season event to bash on a different climate. You have already clearly delineated your issues with the climate out there several dozen times. We all know you like a longer growing season. It feels like you think if you repeat it enough everyone will start to think like you. It just doesn't work that way. People are always going to have some opinions that don't match yours, and you will always be enraged by it. Or not. In the end it's up to you.

Not derailing at all.   

I look forward to all of her updates and pictures.    

This thread is far too quiet most of the time.  :)

Yeah, very short growing season here obviously. Theoretically, it can snow here every month of the year but you're almost guaranteed no snow in July and August at least!

July is definitely theoretical...Bozeman MSU has never recorded measurable snow from 6/30 to 8/23.

1.5" on 6/29/68, though, so pretty darn close to July!

July is definitely theoretical...Bozeman MSU has never recorded measurable snow from 6/30 to 8/23.

1.5" on 6/29/68, though, so pretty darn close to July!

Yeah, I've just seen the traces in July. But you know those old timers have seen the "snow fly every month of the year!"

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah, I've just seen the traces in July. But you know those old timers have seen the "snow fly every month of the year!"

My fiancée's grandma in Whitefish has stories like that. She will often talk about a year back in the 40s or 50s when they had snow on the Fourth of July. I can't figure out what year that might have been, though.

Already some pretty big snow totals stacking up at the Great Divide ski resort just northwest of Helena.

webcam.jpg

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

My fiancée's grandma in Whitefish has stories like that. She will often talk about a year back in the 40s or 50s when they had snow on the Fourth of July. I can't figure out what year that might have been, though.

Maybe 1952? Bozeman received a trace in early July then.

Cold Season 2023/24:

.70" at my place overnight with multiple thunderstorms. That is easily more rain than the last 3 months combined! Anyway, it was nice to finally see some action, better yet, we won't have to wait too long before the next rain chance. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Accumulating snow(1-2" rates) down to the valley floor in middle of the day in Dillon, MT. Don't see that every September 

Yeah Dillon is definitely on the upper end of the valley at ~5,200' but impressive nonetheless, especially at solar noon in mid September. 

Precip shield has been very slow to advance east to Bozeman early this afternoon but it should get here in couple of hours along with lowering snow levels as we approach late afternoon. I'd say it's likely now that Bozeman will see accumulating snowfall by this evening.

Current temp at MSU is 38/33 and 37/35 at my house with nothing falling from the sky currently. Raw day!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Changeover occurred here at about 6pm. Sitting at 33/32 currently. Looks like MSU is still just getting a mix at 36/32. Still think they'll see a changeover at some point by early tomorrow morning.

Precip rates have been pretty light all evening so it will be interesting to see if we can get some heavier rates to knock the snow levels down and increase accumulations overnight.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Looks like Gallatin Field reported a mix for awhile this morning. Precip looks like it stayed pretty light.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Looks like Gallatin Field reported a mix for awhile this morning. Precip looks like it stayed pretty light.

Yeah precip was pretty light all night. MSU and downtown had a dusting this morning and I got maybe like 0.5" of snowfall. Little more at Hyalite (pic). Upper air temps verified but the precip intensity did not.

Either way, still fun to see it fall from the sky last night and all this morning!

IMG_3952.JPG

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Picked up 1.24" of precip with the 3-day event. So great to finally get a good soaking region wide.

Going to be a chilly night, back down to 35F after a high of 45F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Dropped down to 28F this morning. My first freeze of the season.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Snow level may drop as low as 6500 feet later this week if all goes well, so just above where people live here. Anyway, the air up in Montana would be cold enough for snow here if it went further south. Enjoy your snow up there!

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Had a gust of 52mph with the cold front that passed through a couple of hours ago. Down to 42/37F with moderate rain continuing. Looks like the snow level should drop down to just above me by tomorrow morning.

Cold weather continues all this week. Next shot at valley snow and more significant snow for me looks to be Thursday night – Saturday morning. Lets see if the 20 minutes less daylight and MUCH cooler soil temps will do the trick this go-around!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Getting some heavy snow here this morning which is quite surprising! Huge flakes. Looks like it's also changing over to all snow in town as well. Currently 32F.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Big Sky just south of Bozeman is getting dumped on this morning.

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 8.37.22 AM.png

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Still on for accumulating snow here tomorrow night through Friday. Deformation band should begin setting up here around 8-10pm Thursday night with 700mb temps at -7C. Should be enough for all snow in town and in my own backyard.

GFS and Canadian paint 2-4" in town while the Euro is showing 1-3" of snowfall in Bozeman. Should be all snow for me tomorrow evening through Saturday morning where 3-6" looks good. 

The duration and magnitude of this cold is really amazing for mid-late September. Highs have been mainly in the 40's and low 50's now for almost a week and Friday should stay in the 30's and widespread lows in the 20's this weekend. Normal high on this date in Bozeman is 70F!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Still on for accumulating snow here tomorrow night through Friday. Deformation band should begin setting up here around 8-10pm Thursday night with 700mb temps at -7C. Should be enough for all snow in town and in my own backyard.

GFS and Canadian paint 2-4" in town while the Euro is showing 1-3" of snowfall in Bozeman. Should be all snow for me tomorrow evening through Saturday morning where 3-6" looks good. 

The duration and magnitude of this cold is really amazing for mid-late September. Highs have been mainly in the 40's and low 50's now for almost a week and Friday should stay in the 30's and widespread lows in the 20's this weekend. Normal high on this date in Bozeman is 70F!

7dTDeptWRCC-NW.png

• Like 2

Doesn't look very impressive. We basically could produce a reverse map for parts of NW but for almost a month long timeframe!

Yeah, 6 to 8 degrees below normal for a week in mid September is not outrageously cold, but somewhat unusual. Obviously as you get into fall and winter, it's easier to achieve greater departures for a week or longer.

Yeah, 6 to 8 degrees below normal for a week in mid September is not outrageously cold, but somewhat unusual. Obviously as you get into fall and winter, it's easier to achieve greater departures for a week or longer.

Just a very solid cold snap, I think the skiable snowfalls above 6k in some places were a lot more outrageous. Most of the area in blue had 99% percentile for SWE at one point(a lot of them are still 90%, snow remaining on the ground), which i think is quite larger than you would expect from a typical early season storm at this point.

Yeah we've already pulled off one -18 departure day on the 16th and will likely see a -20 or greater on Friday which is really impressive for mid September.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Just a very solid cold snap, I think the skiable snowfalls above 6k in some places were a lot more outrageous. Most of the area in blue had 99% percentile for SWE at one point(a lot of them are still 90%, snow remaining on the ground), which i think is quite larger than you would expect from a typical early season storm at this point.

Yeah the snowfall above 6,000' has been truly impressive. It was a little funny to see some pictures from the fire fighters playing in the snow where 10-12" fell over what was a pretty active fire burning in the Crazy Mountains (Blacktail fire). Tough to find hot spots in nearly knee deep snow!

Cold Season 2023/24: