Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Last night in Boulder Colorado

@stormhour

Beautiful. And the mountains look like they have less snow now than they did when I was in Denver a month ago. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Beautiful. And the mountains look like they have less snow now than they did when I was in Denver a month ago. 

I don't see any snow except in the far left corner. Colorado has been cooking like California. Ugh!

Mid to upper 60s today in SLC, perhaps lower 70s tomorrow. A cold front will bring temperatures down on Monday, but still no sign of winter.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Mid to upper 60s today in SLC, perhaps lower 70s tomorrow. A cold front will bring temperatures down on Monday, but still no sign of winter.

None here, either. DEN now running a +5.2 departure on the month. It once looked like the cold front moving through early next week might deliver a little snow, but that's washed out. 

Predicted high of 75 on Monday. That would not only be a record, it would be the second latest 75+ on record (after the ridiculous 75 seen on 12/27/80).

On the bright side, 1990 also had an incredible string of warmth this time of year (including a high of 77 on 11/25/90).

A forum for the end of the world.

Just arrived back home after visiting the fam in Portland and Northern Cali. Looks like we lost pretty much all our snowpack minus a few patches here and there while we were away. Kind of strange to see bare ground again. Record high Thanksgiving Day will do that I suppose!

Another very warm day (near record highs) is on tap for tomorrow before a cold front moves in tomorrow night. Looks like I could pick up 2-4" of snow by Monday morning with the accompanying cold frontal passage which would be my first snowfall in almost two weeks.

Temps then look to stay around average (mid to upper 30's) with a few snow showers once again by mid week. Could get colder and snowier by the end of next week but still lots of uncertainty at this point.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

None here, either. DEN now running a +5.2 departure on the month. It once looked like the cold front moving through early next week might deliver a little snow, but that's washed out. 

Predicted high of 75 on Monday. That would not only be a record, it would be the second latest 75+ on record (after the ridiculous 75 seen on 12/27/80).

On the bright side, 1990 also had an incredible string of warmth this time of year (including a high of 77 on 11/25/90).

Yeah this month has been just over 8F above normal for KSLC. We should have some days closer to normal to close out the month but either way a blowtorch.

Models are trying to show some snow in about a week but I wouldn't be surprised to see the system split. I am going to be in Texas for a lengthy trip end of December into mid January. If winter doesn't arrive by then it may be into January before I see any decent snow.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Had 60+mph Southwest winds last night out ahead of the cold front last night. It was like a roaring freight train out there all night, definitely the strongest gusts I've felt out here since we moved.

Heavy rain has turned to heavy wet snow this morning currently. Looks like a quick inch has already accumulated. The snow should taper off by late morning if latest guidance (no radar) holds true. Currently 32F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Yesterday the low level inversion held on until the evening time, the temperature increased from 48F to 69F in around an hours time. The 69F was a record and I believe the latest on record to be that warm, and it was after dark...pretty crazy. 

Took advantage of the unseasonable warmth and hiked Mt. Sanitas this weekend, a 6800' foothill just outside of Boulder about 1500' above the city. Everything is incredibly dry right now.

attachicon.gifIMG_20171125_151633567.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171125_145456488.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171125_151857644.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20171125_152506803.jpg

Yikes. If I didn't know better I'd guess those pics were from late August!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Denver is at 81F right now. This is the all time November record.

I'm seeing a high of 80 so far, but yeah, totally nuts. 81 would tie 11/9/2006 for the all-time record.

Of course, it has to be noted that the current DEN is more prone to these extremes than the old one, so records are not an apples to apples comparison. Boulder, for example, has seen a high of 73 so far - and their all-time record is 79. 

DEN has been warmer than all other metro stations.

Buckley AFB: 78

Centennial: 77

Broomfield: 73

Very impressive warmth regardless, but this is a classic example of how moving a station can alter records.

Way more impressive though considering this was three weeks later.

#globalwarming

Impressive, but again that asterisk is there for a reason.  ;)

- Looks like Boulder maxed out at 73, six degrees shy of their monthly record and not even a daily record (75 from 1903).

- Fort Collins/Loveland hit 73...their monthly record is 80 from 2006 (records only back to 1989).

- Greeley hit 75, their monthly record is 84.

- Cheyenne hit 67, their monthly record is 75.

Safe to say that although this was an impressively warm event, DEN was kind out on their own in left field on this one.

So much record warmth. Depressing.

It snowed here this morning and is 23F currently here. It's not all bad.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yesterday was another record but it was strange. The high was 68F at 2 am. The temperature cooled after that as the cold front pushed through. Next weekends storm is already being watered down on the models. 

If we go until Christmas without any accumulating snow it will be the latest on record, but Dec 4th will put us into the top 10 latest.

Here are some of the temperatures around Colorado yesterday.   Even the ski resorts such as Aspen were in the mid-60's!    There were several 80's around.

Yes, but all the other 80s besides DEN were nowhere near Denver, way east and/or south.

DEN was a clear outlier.

True.  DEN is significantly more prone to extremes (cold as well) than the old Stapleton location.  

Yeah, but I've noticed that with Arctic outbreaks, the numbers DEN puts up are more on par with historical numbers of other stations than with the heat extremes. I think this is due to low level Arctic cold being a completely different animal that tends to affect broader areas similarly.

For example, in the great Nov 2014 Arctic outbreak, DEN saw their coldest temps on record that early, but other stations such as Boulder set equally if not more impressive early season cold records.

Picked a dry wind swept inch of snow last night. Currently 29F with winds 15-25mph and windchill values in the mid teens. Going to be a brisk day! My season snowfall total is up to 46" now. 34" of it has fallen this month. It was a very impressive snowfall month.

Colder pattern has arrived and looks to only build as we head into the weekend and next week. Next week looks to get downright cold as the west coast ridge builds in and we get the NW flow aloft. At this point things are looking pretty dry however, there is a chance that we could sit right along the storm track with the trough digging into the Midwest. In fact, the 00z Canadian shows just this with 1-2' of snow falling next week. Winter is here!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah, but I've noticed that with Arctic outbreaks, the numbers DEN puts up are more on par with historical numbers of other stations than with the heat extremes. I think this is due to low level Arctic cold being a completely different animal that tends to affect broader areas similarly.

For example, in the great Nov 2014 Arctic outbreak, DEN saw their coldest temps on record that early, but other stations such as Boulder set equally if not more impressive early season cold records.

DIA/DEN still has more cold extremes as well though; at least when compared to other stations in the vicinity.  Such examples are 31 on 6/8/2007 (latest frost in Denver) and the 19 on 5/2/2013.    

Here is a comparison between Stapleton and DEN for the lowest temperatures in each month since 1996 (the first full year that the DEN station started recording):

Stapleton:

Stapleton.JPG

DEN:

DEN.JPG

DEN definitely has more extremes for cold temperatures (and sometimes hot temperatures).

Here is the comparison for high temperatures.

Stapleton:

Stapleton 1.JPG

DEN:

DEN1.JPG

The February and November readings this year were definitely outliers for both locations though.  

Our best bet for accumulating snow this season arrives tomorrow into Monday. Most models going somewhere in the 1-4" range for the SLC area. I am thinking 2-5" at my house. However the warm ground and spread out nature of the storm could limit things. 

We're under a Winter Storm Warning here beginning at 5am tomorrow. The NWS is calling for 2-5" in the valley's and 6-12" above 5,500' (I'm at 5,350'). I'm expecting somewhere between the two forecasts, maybe 5-8".  Will be nice to get some decent snow cover going into this extended ridgy and dry period beginning Tuesday.

Aided by the fresh snow cover, I should also see some chilly temps with lows dropping into the single digits early next week.

Cold Season 2023/24: