Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

It hasn't stopped snowing but with slower rates and compaction has only added up another 1/3 of an inch or so. Still, fun to watch. Might pick up another inch this afternoon as rates pick up again for a couple hours but otherwise we are about done.

A few quiet days and then another snow chance around the 26th. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

It hasn't stopped snowing but with slower rates and compaction has only added up another 1/3 of an inch or so. Still, fun to watch. Might pick up another inch this afternoon as rates pick up again for a couple hours but otherwise we are about done.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a more active pattern that will last for a while. I am glad to see that your area finally picked up some decent snow!

Did it snow more after you posted this?  Friends in Draper said they got 11".

Did it snow more after you posted this?  Friends in Draper said they got 11".

I ended up with 10.8". With some warmer temps yesterday its melted/compacted down to about 4" already, still, was nice to see. This storm helped the resorts, but the difference between valley and mountains wasn't as big as normal. 

Going forwards we have 2 chances for snow coming up but right now they both look like moisture starved clippers with a couple inches or less. Then models bring the ridge back to the west coast in 2 weeks. Sure hope not! 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Was surprised to find I still had about 4-5" of snow on the ground getting back home tonight, despite a high around 50 today.

With temps near 60 tomorrow, though, I'm sure most of it will be gone soon. However, I'm off to Park City, UT for the weekend and it looks like they'll be getting several inches tomorrow.  :D

A forum for the end of the world.

Ended up with 10" of snow here today and about 6" in town. Another over performing storm, headliner of the season up this way.

Was an extremely wet snowfall which is rare for here in January. Temps were in the low 30's all day with falling snow and now skies are beginning to clear with a current temp of 26F and dropping.

Hey out of curiosity and since you live over there.... how often does it rain during the winter months there? Does a vast majority of the precip fall as snow? I ask simply because this winter in my area is much different than last winter. Last winter there was hardly any rain AT ALL until the snow stopped falling as such in March once it warmed up. From that point on it was rain ontop of snow until it all melted away. This winter is much different. Much warmer. At one point I had about 15” in my front yard and now it’s down to just over 8”, including the 6” we got the night before last. Also, last winter there was a good solid 2 month stretch where the high temp didn’t even reach the mid 20’s most of the time except for a few days here and there where it climbed to the mid 30’s. That kept whatever snow accumulated around forever. I guess in a nutshell, I am asking if, no matter what pattern there is, does the vast majority of precipitation fall as snow there during winter?

Hey out of curiosity and since you live over there.... how often does it rain during the winter months there? Does a vast majority of the precip fall as snow? I ask simply because this winter in my area is much different than last winter. Last winter there was hardly any rain AT ALL until the snow stopped falling as such in March once it warmed up. From that point on it was rain ontop of snow until it all melted away. This winter is much different. Much warmer. At one point I had about 15” in my front yard and now it’s down to just over 8”, including the 6” we got the night before last. Also, last winter there was a good solid 2 month stretch where the high temp didn’t even reach the mid 20’s most of the time except for a few days here and there where it climbed to the mid 30’s. That kept whatever snow accumulated around forever. I guess in a nutshell, I am asking if, no matter what pattern there is, does the vast majority of precipitation fall as snow there during winter?

Yeah it's generally all snow here no matter the pattern Mid November through March. In the really warm patterns we'll occasionally see a few spits of rain before quickly changing over to snow as dew points always remain well below freezing here. We of course get Chinook winds here that can quickly warm us up into the 40's (yesterday for example) but with those downsloping winds brings even drier air which can of course eat into our snowpack. Still have about 15" on the ground this morning with more snow on the way this afternoon

So, no rain on snow here until later in April here, (April is still the second snowiest month) thank goodness . I saw more than enough of that in Portland!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Was surprised to find I still had about 4-5" of snow on the ground getting back home tonight, despite a high around 50 today.

With temps near 60 tomorrow, though, I'm sure most of it will be gone soon. However, I'm off to Park City, UT for the weekend and it looks like they'll be getting several inches tomorrow.  :D

Doesn't look so great, but it will be something at least. 

Overall a boring period coming up with no big storms, but a few small ones might sneak through.

3" of wet snow here in the late afternoon. Lots of drifting snow out ahead and along the front with 40-50mph winds. Had to plow/shovel 2ft deep drifts off the driveway this evening on top of the new snow that fell.

Unsettled conditions this weekend with little accumulations. Next big'ish storm looks to arrive on Tuesday.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Not looking at any significant snow anytime soon, but we should have a mostly dry, but strong, cold front in a week or so. 

Models all over the place in the 7-10 day period. Going from big ridge to massive arctic blast. Hopefully things settle down soon, and for the best!

• Like 1

They settled down for the worse. Massive ridge over the whole west setting up in a few days and not going anywhere.

We picked up 4" of snowfall here yesterday afternoon out ahead of the front. Chilly behind the front today with highs in the 20's and tonight we're already down to 18F.

We once again find ourselves on the boundary line up here beginning tomorrow night through the at least Monday. Looks like some moderate to heavy accumulations at times. It's a fine line and the models are really struggling with who sees the brunt of the moisture and cold. Either way, the mountains continue to get slammed up here this winter.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Bozeman is already up to 93.7" of snowfall on the season as of today. For perspective, Bozeman averages ~90" of yearly snowfall. Pretty impressive considering we just flipped the page on January with the snowiest months (historically) ahead of us over the next few months. 

Definitely a legitimate chance of breaking Bozeman's all-time snowiest season set in 1996-97 of 158.5"

Cold Season 2023/24:

Bozeman is already up to 93.7" of snowfall on the season as of today. For perspective, Bozeman averages ~90" of yearly snowfall. Pretty impressive considering we just flipped the page on January with the snowiest months (historically) ahead of us over the next few months. 

Definitely a legitimate chance of breaking Bozeman's all-time snowiest season set in 1996-97 of 158.5"

So different than the rest of the West.

So different than the rest of the West.

Yeah, its been such a bizarre pattern this season. Western and central Montana has continuously found itself right along the storm track since early November and that continues now into this first week of February. I can't think of too many similar years...besides maybe 1996-97.

Its just been so strange to be completely buried here while knowing that the rest of the West snowfall is running 30% or less below average. Definitely feel for you guys.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah, its been such a bizarre pattern this season. Western and central Montana has continuously found itself right along the storm track since early November and that continues now into this first week of February. I can't think of too many similar years...besides maybe 1996-97.

Its just been so strange to be completely buried here while knowing that the rest of the West snowfall is running 30% or less below average. Definitely feel for you guys.

1996-97 was easily better to this point here, though. Boulder had almost 50" of snow by end of January that winter. This winter, they're at 31".

1996-97 also had a huge February and an even bigger April here, so we'll be lucky to finish anywhere near that winter.

A few models, including the 6z GFS, showing a downslope wind event next Saturday. Overall the dry weather continues, but a wind storm would be fun to see.

GFS is consistent showing a downslope windstorm pattern on Saturday, ECMWF is far from it, with the CMC in the middle. 

Winter returned with a vengeance last night here. High of 45F yesterday was quickly replaced with a strong East winds and a flash freeze with temps falling into the low teens by early evening.

Picked up about 3" of "cold smoke" so far this morning with a current temp of 3F and light snow continuing. Looks like the cold is here to stay for a while with well below zero readings expected tonight.

Cold Season 2023/24:

ECMWF ensemble mean strongly suggests a return of a deep western trough in the week 2 period. GEFS has not been so confident. 

• Like 1

Had a high of only 10F today which was set at midnight. Temps never rose above 7F during the day today with light snow falling throughout the day. About 5" of new snow on the day.

Currently 4F with light snow continuing to fall.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

ECMWF ensemble mean strongly suggests a return of a deep western trough in the week 2 period. GEFS has not been so confident. 

I really feel like we are due for at least one significant storm cycle this season that brings widespread rain and mountain snow across the west. The pattern has been locked into one position for far too long now, and in years past, this would have changed sooner and not been nearly as persistent as it has been this year.

I really feel like we are due for at least one significant storm cycle this season that brings widespread rain and mountain snow across the west. The pattern has been locked into one position for far too long now, and in years past, this would have changed sooner and not been nearly as persistent as it has been this year.

I think So Cal actually stands an above average chance of a good storm in the next two weeks with the pattern setting up. We can only hope.

I see no sign of a big storm here, but several small storms are better than none.

• Like 1

Dropped down to -3F here this morning with a wind chill of -20F and some light snow. Not expecting to warm up much today, maybe upper single digits if we're lucky. Currently 2F.

Next storm looks to arrive here Wednesday afternoon with moderate snowfall accumulations (3-6") expected.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Today's system split too much so no precip for me. A slightly better chance on Thursday and better yet over the weekend. No big storms still, but its nice to see things looking up.

Pretty sharp divide between much above normal and much below across MT this winter.

attachicon.gif60dTDeptWRCC-NW.png

Continental Divide, divide.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Mid range is really looking promising with trough after trough moving into the west. This will be made possible by the pacific ridge moving west and stalling, then the greenland block anchoring things to the east.