Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Mid range is really looking promising with trough after trough moving into the west. This will be made possible by the pacific ridge moving west and stalling, then the greenland block anchoring things to the east. 

Pretty good chance the next 2-3 weeks are the best of the winter for the West overall. Not saying much, but at least it's not more of the same.

By the way, I did mention a few weeks ago that based on how this winter has played out and ENSO, a much better Feb/Mar were pretty likely for our areas.  ;)

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Pretty good chance the next 2-3 weeks are the best of the winter for the West overall. Not saying much, but at least it's not more of the same.

By the way, I did mention a few weeks ago that based on how this winter has played out and ENSO, a much better Feb/Mar were pretty likely for our areas.  ;)

Yeah, I agree its now or never. Hopefully at least a few decent events coming up for both of us. Main problem for me is that the pattern is overall very amplified but with little overwater trajectory, meaning smaller storms.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I just don't know why we can't get at least one cycle of storms this winter with a deep trough off the west coast with lots of over-water trajectory that brings beneficial snow and rain to a widespread region.

I am hoping this pattern doesn't become so dominant from one year to the next to the point that a major portion of the west is denied of rainfall again and again.

Looks like this latest Arctic front is packing quite the punch. Blizzard like conditions have become quite widespread with the front in North Central MT and is progressing south. A Civil Emergency Watch was issued which I'm not sure I've ever experienced. Very hazardous travel out there. 

Will be interesting to see what we end up with come tomorrow morning. Currently 27F with moderate snowfall.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looks like this latest Arctic front is packing quite the punch. Blizzard like conditions have become quite widespread with the front in North Central MT and is progressing south. A Civil Emergency Watch was issued which I'm not sure I've ever experienced. Very hazardous travel out there. 

Will be interesting to see what we end up with come tomorrow morning. Currently 27F with moderate snowfall.

Who issues a "Civil Emergency Watch"? I have never heard of such a watch before. A Winter Storm Warning or Blizzard Warning would seem more likely, unless those have already been issued as well.

Who issues a "Civil Emergency Watch"? I have never heard of such a watch before. A Winter Storm Warning or Blizzard Warning would seem more likely, unless those have already been issued as well.

My first same thought! Blizzard and Winter Storm Warnings were also issued but a "Civil Emergency Watch" was issued by state officials and came across the TV Broadcast system like an Amber Alert but for very hazardous travel conditions. Definitely a first for me!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Good looking storm Sunday-Monday could bring several inches if it works out right. Maybe some lake effect too. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Ended up with 3" of snowfall with the front here. 

Looks like we'll see another quick shot of snowfall tomorrow night into Saturday morning. Then, a decent snowstorm looks to take aim with the strong Arctic front moving through Saturday night into Monday. Coldest temps of the season look to settle in here on Monday when we may stay below zero all day.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Unlike other storms this season, the storm will linger a bit as it moves past and the coldest air aloft will move in. Should allow for a lot of orographic snow in the mountains.

• Like 1

Winter storm watch for Sun-Tues morning for 2-6", higher on benches. I think thats pretty conservative but good to see.

• Like 1

Winter storm watch for Sun-Tues morning for 2-6", higher on benches. I think thats pretty conservative but good to see.

It's good to finally see some more significant action in your area. Hopefully the pattern changes enough so CA and the rest of the southwest gets some beneficial rain and snow before the season comes to a close. It would be nice to see all the areas in dire need of precip to finish this absolutely dismal season on a positive note!

It's good to finally see some more significant action in your area. Hopefully the pattern changes enough so CA and the rest of the southwest gets some beneficial rain and snow before the season comes to a close. It would be nice to see all the areas in dire need of precip to finish this absolutely dismal season on a positive note!

Agreed. It's too late for a good winter, but perhaps we can end without being so far in the hole. :)

• Like 1

Same storm is looking like maybe 2-4" here the next day.

They upped their totals to 3-7" valleys, 8-16" benches. Probably a more reasonable call. 

WSW for 5-10" valleys, 1-2 feet on the benches, even more in the mountains. Seems way overdone, but it should still be a nice storm!

• Like 1

Been one crazy winter there. Wonder if Kayla has had enough yet?

Its been crazy...but not quite ready to call Uncle, but getting close to! Surpassing 150" of snowfall now. I don't mind all the snow cause I'm a skier/biathlete so our in town trails have been incredible all season but this cold is getting rough. Can't really do a whole lot outside in the single digits or below. This upcoming week looks brutal for any outdoor activities. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Getting slammed here this morning. About 6" of new snow today so far and still dumping. Looks like the snow should continue to fly all day today into tonight. Currently a bone chilling 4F (40:1 snow ratios!) with double digit below zero wind chill readings. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Snow is moving south right now, should start here in about 2 hours. After all the warm weather it feels cold out there for just being in the upper 30s.

Blizzard like conditions here currently.  8" of snowfall so far on the day. We actually had a nice little break with sunshine early this afternoon but the snow returned late this afternoon and the winds have really picked up. Very serious blowing and drifting snow now occurring. As you can imagine the roads are a mess as the plows cannot keep up with all the drifting.

Currently 0F and dropping with light snowfall still falling. Wind chills of -20F right now. Its brutal out there.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

DEN went from a high of 69 today to down to 24 now. Won't get much above 20 tomorrow or 15 Tuesday.

Even mid teens above zero sounds tropical at this point... :mellow:  Have I mentioned that it's REALLY cold here yet?? 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Dropped down to -15F here this morning. By far my coldest low of the season. Should also easily break my coldest high for the season today as well. Currently -2F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

I got 11" total, 2.5" of which was lake effect. Fun storm. 

A brief break but some more chances for snow in a few days.

• Like 3

Dropped down to -11F here this morning. -20F at the airport.

Really incredible Montana snow depths state wide as we head into late February. Many locations have already broken their all-time February snowfall records, including Great Falls and Billings. The 24-36" snow depth up in Havre really sticks out. They've seen 31.8" of snowfall so far this month. Average for the whole month? 3.9".

I have a 25" base here currently just south of Bozeman with many 4-5' drifts around.

http://i66.tinypic.com/dgmh4x.jpg

Cold Season 2023/24: