Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

I drove from Craig Colorado to Loveland this morning. It wasn't that cold at home (-6) since it was still snowing, but the coldest car thermometer reading I had was -24 between Muddy Pass and Walden (it was clear there).

Still, this is by far the mildest winter I have seen here. I'm guessing that the cool temperatures won't last long.

This winter has to go down as an all-time great for MT.

Agreed...from beginning to end as well. Starting to look like the onslaught of moisture/cold could continue into March now as well. Cra cra.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Officially -20 in Craig this morning; it was -26 ar my house. This was the coldest temperature of the winter so far.

Thus far since living here, we have never had a year that didn't drop at least into the -20's. I thought that there might be a chance this year, but this morning changed that.

Its been crazy...but not quite ready to call Uncle, but getting close to! Surpassing 150" of snowfall now. I don't mind all the snow cause I'm a skier/biathlete so our in town trails have been incredible all season but this cold is getting rough. Can't really do a whole lot outside in the single digits or below. This upcoming week looks brutal for any outdoor activities. 

Touring in single digits and sun was fun this week. Riding chairlifts during arctic front last week.... not so fun. I'm hoping we will flip 180 to a stable ridge of pressure for April & May, it would definitely be a winter & spring to remember for skiiers at that point.

• Like 1

Another 7.1" at my place yesterday, and about 18" in the last 5 days. My snow depth is 13" in my yard right now. It's also been pretty cold for this time of year with highs in the 20s to low 30s and lows in the teens to one day which hit 9F, my low for the winter.

Looks like 1-3" tonight, and perhaps 1-3" more on Tuesday. Models showing one more big system about next Friday before a ridge moves back in. It's been a fun stretch.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

WS watch for 3-8", locally up to 16". That's uncertainty for you!

I expect somewhere in the 8-16" range at my place.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

On Friday to Saturday a very strong cold front with a high moisture content will stall somewhere near SLC. A difference in 50 or so miles will make all the difference, making this a difficult forecast. 

On Friday to Saturday a very strong cold front with a high moisture content will stall somewhere near SLC. A difference in 50 or so miles will make all the difference, making this a difficult forecast. 

Need the storm to dig a little further south and slow down to be any good here.

A forum for the end of the world.

Havre just finished February without climbing above 38 at any point during the month. First time that's happened since 1969. 

5th coldest Feb. overall, with a final mean of 1.5 F. This was 20.6 F below average!

Also the coldest Feb. since the epic February of 1936, which averaged -12.8 F.

• Like 1

Havre just finished February without climbing above 38 at any point during the month. First time that's happened since 1969.

5th coldest Feb. overall, with a final mean of 1.5 F. This was 20.6 F below average!

Also the coldest Feb. since the epic February of 1936, which averaged -12.8 F.

Wow

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Bozeman MSU is now up to 109" of snowfall on the season and 153.7" IMBY as we enter the snowiest month on average.

My average temp was 19F during February which was by far the coldest month of this winter. February was also my least snowy month with 23.5" of snowfall. The big story in February was the drifting snow with tough travel conditions all month. I have 6-8' drifts all over my property and it was almost a full-time job just trying to keep our 300' driveway clear through the month. Still about a 18-20" snow base out there.

Nice little break these last couple of days before a backdoor system arrives here on Sunday-Monday along with some modified Arctic air once again. Snowfall amounts tbd but I'd guess 3-6" at this point.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Need the storm to dig a little further south and slow down to be any good here.

Slowly down even a little too much for me. Might see the front move past Friday, back north as a warm front Saturday, then south again Sunday. Based on that, I am now thinking 6-12" here. If the front stalls even more to the west that will have to be lowered.

Been snowing, heavy at times here since about 2-3am. Up to about 5" on the day already and I'm expecting the snow to continue throughout the day before things taper tonight. Looking like 8-12" by tonight, nice storm! Currently 18F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

I ended up with 13" this morning with heavy lake effect snow. Snow rates briefly exceeded 3"/hr. 

• Like 3

Awesome. When was the last time you had a storm this big?

In my three winters in Bountiful I've only exceeded this once, that was with a monster 19" storm back in December 2015. Last winter I had two storms with about 13" also. 

So, biggest storm this winter, and something (at least for the last few winters) we get 1-2 times a year. 

In my three winters in Bountiful I've only exceeded this once, that was with a monster 19" storm back in December 2015. Last winter I had two storms with about 13" also. 

So, biggest storm this winter, and something (at least for the last few winters) we get 1-2 times a year. 

Sounds fairly similar to here. In the 11 winters I've been here, I've seen ten 12"+ storms. Last one was March 2016, so we're due.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

New season, but the overachieving theme continues up here. Now 12" on the day here with moderate snowfall continuing. Currently 14F. Been rather breezy all day as well so the drifts just keep growing. Up to my highest snow base of the year with 30" on the ground and 6-7' deep drifts.

What a special year its been here, wish it could be like this every year!

http://i64.tinypic.com/devajs.jpghttp://i64.tinypic.com/2z4mlmt.jpg

Cold Season 2023/24:

Sounds fairly similar to here. In the 11 winters I've been here, I've seen ten 12"+ storms. Last one was March 2016, so we're due.

Sounds like it's been a long stretch without any big storms, hopefully that changes for you soon. Most places around SLC would have to go much longer in between storms like the one I had today but that is why I live here! 

Going to be quiet again for a while, but ensembles suggest another trough in about 10-14 days. 

Active weather returning to Utah this week. Rain on Wednesday, and then perhaps some snow on Thursday. More systems in the extended too.

All of a sudden an active period is just around the corner it would appear. Our big warmup and melt hasn't verified as we have continued to drop into the teens overnight with highs in the 40's. I still have about 12-15" of snow on the ground. I've had at least 1"+ of snow on the ground since November 3rd, 131 days and counting!

00z ECMWF ensemble mean shows nearly 10" of snowfall for Bozeman over the next 15 days so the second half of March looks to be quite active up this way.

Cold Season 2023/24:

All of a sudden an active period is just around the corner it would appear. Our big warmup and melt hasn't verified as we have continued to drop into the teens overnight with highs in the 40's. I still have about 12-15" of snow on the ground. I've had at least 1"+ of snow on the ground since November 3rd, 131 days and counting!

00z ECMWF ensemble mean shows nearly 10" of snowfall for Bozeman over the next 15 days so the second half of March looks to be quite active up this way.

Ensemble mean for KSLC has 13" for the next two weeks on the ECMWF with over 2" of water. Pretty wet period coming up for me too.

Ensemble mean for KSLC has 13" for the next two weeks on the ECMWF with over 2" of water. Pretty wet period coming up for me too.

Happy to see you guys getting in on this active period coming up as well! I'll be down in Solider Hollow at the end of this month and would love to be on some natural snow rather than that man made stuff that they've had most of the year.

The 12z upped the snowfall amounts even more for up here as well. Looking like a very wet/snowy period coming up beginning with tomorrow afternoon's thunderstorm threat.

Cold Season 2023/24:

3" of new wet snowfall this morning and the snow continues to fly. Always so beautiful out with everything completely flocked in the wet sticky snow. Reminds me of a Portland snowstorm!

Looks like a break in the snow beginning later this afternoon through tomorrow morning before we get some more wrap around moisture and snow from the meandering cutoff low Saturday night and Sunday. Expecting another 3-6" as of right now.

Cold Season 2023/24:

1.39" of water since yesterday leading to 1.8" of snow. Had some thunderstorms too. 1-3" of additional snow on Saturday.