Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Ended up with 6" of snow here today on 0.50" of precipitation so a very wet snowfall. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Surprise storm today. Had a high of 65 yesterday, got up to 55 early this afternoon, then thunderstorms rolled in around 4 pm, and by 5 it was dumping snow with temps just above freezing. Got a quick 3-4" with incredibly huge, wet flakes and it's still snowing but much lighter.

One of those days that remind you why you're a weenie.

A forum for the end of the world.

An atmospheric river event will impact CA up through UT Wed-Fri or so. We could see a lot of rain if it works out right. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Picked up 3" here last night and early this morning. Still amazed at how much snow we still have on the ground here. About 20-24" of snow cover on our property and still about 6-10" in town. Maybe we'll finally see some bare ground come April??

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

GFS is showing a major snowstorm here next week. 

DEN is having yet another major underperformer of a winter. A sad 19.3" so far, which if they received no more, would be the least snowy winter on record (currently 24.6").

As always, a major disconnect from Boulder, which is at 49.6" has more twice their record low winter.

Cold front picking up steam off to the NW. I am expecting .5-1" of liquid by morning!

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

GFS is showing a major snowstorm here next week.

DEN is having yet another major underperformer of a winter. A sad 19.3" so far, which if they received no more, would be the least snowy winter on record (currently 24.6").

As always, a major disconnect from Boulder, which is at 49.6" has more twice their record low winter.

Doesn't Boulder usually get more than Denver? Interesting how both cities have similar record low snowfalls if that's the case. Where have records in Denver been kept since Stapleton closed?

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Ended up with .63" overnight into this morning. Sunny and nice now.

Looks like 1-3" of snow on Sunday before we warm up again.

Doesn't Boulder usually get more than Denver? Interesting how both cities have similar record low snowfalls if that's the case. Where have records in Denver been kept since Stapleton closed?

Yeah, Boulder's long term average is about 140% of Denver's. But in recent years, the disparity has been even greater.

DEN's snowfall record's are kind of a mess. Up to 1996 they were at Stapleton, then 1997 to I believe 2012 or so at DIA, and then back to Stapleton since then.

Snowing here this afternoon. Should pick up an inch or two through this evening.

I might have to move to your territory in the next couple years for school related stuff. Maybe you won't be the only active Utah poster on here!

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I might have to move to your territory in the next couple years for school related stuff. Maybe you won't be the only active Utah poster on here!

It would be nice to have somebody else so I am not reporting to myself, so to speak. ha

Up to about 2" now. 

Ended up with 3.9" last night. Snowing again this morning with just 1/2" or so, so far.

• Like 1

24" of snow in March, and 18.6" in the last 10 days of February here.

In other words, about 43" of snow in the last 40 days, and 2/3 of the total that fell during the winter. Pretty impressive stretch. 

• Like 4

24" of snow in March, and 18.6" in the last 10 days of February here.

In other words, about 43" of snow in the last 40 days, and 2/3 of the total that fell during the winter. Pretty impressive stretch. 

That's really impressive. With the 3" I got last night, I'm up to 28" for Feb/Mar. Nothing amazing, but a lot better than Nov-Jan.

DEN is just over 22" now, so they still need a couple inches to avoid least snowy winter on record.  :rolleyes:

That's really impressive. With the 3" I got last night, I'm up to 28" for Feb/Mar. Nothing amazing, but a lot better than Nov-Jan.

DEN is just over 22" now, so they still need a couple inches to avoid least snowy winter on record.  :rolleyes:

Not a lot of time left, but all it takes is one good storm. Hoping you can get it! 

Valleys here have faired better than the mountains relative to average. We have had several storms where the valleys exceeded what fell in the mountains. 

• Like 1

Chilly day here yesterday with a high of 24F and a low of 13F. Gallatin Field made it down to 8F this morning.

After last weeks storms, I'm now sitting at 180" of snowfall on the season. Looking pretty likely that I'll push over the 200" mark by the end of the season. I wish I had some historical data of this area but I would imagine that it's nearing a new record based off of Bozeman MSU nearing record snowfall numbers this year as well.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Looks like we have quite the storm knocking on the door step this late afternoon. Winter Storm Warnings are up for here tonight into tomorrow. Expecting 6-10" here and 4-7" in town. Winter is still kicking up here!

Cold Season 2023/24:

About 6" of snow fell here overnight. Looks like the snow will continue throughout the day with some pretty intense snow bands moving through at times with dropping temps. It's a mid winter day out there today.

Currently 30F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Sounds awesome!

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Some rain this afternoon, and some heavier rain towards the weekend. No more snow for now.

10" of snow on the day and counting currently... Currently 22F.

http://i65.tinypic.com/skxddx.jpg

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Just a few light snow showers around here so I think we're just about done with accumulations for this storm. Ended up with 13" of snowfall on the day which is actually my second highest daily total this cold season. Brings my snow base depth back up to 30" which is pretty incredible for April. 

Temps are dropping very quickly tonight, already down to 8F.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Meanwhile, 73 here today. The northern tier winter just keeps on chugging.

Crazy. This month already has a December like pattern feel to it. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Made it down to 5F here this morning. Looks like the Airport made it down to at least 1F. 

Was a beautiful sunrise!

http://i65.tinypic.com/qp5jj8.jpg

• Like 4

Cold Season 2023/24:

Mild weather continues here overall, but looks like much cooler weather is coming Friday with a chance of snow. Friday also happens to be the Rockies home opener - could be the coldest opening day in Rockies history, if the temp is below 40 at game time.

Saturday is looking like a really solid storm. I wouldn't be surprised to get over an inch of rain.

Getting some light snow here this morning as the Arctic front has sagged a bit further south than forecast already. Nonetheless, expecting 3-6" of snowfall here by tomorrow morning. 

Looks like we're locked into a moisture filled pattern for the foreseeable future. In fact, the 00z ECWMF EPS mean shows 12" of snowfall over the next 15 days for BZN which is the driest spot in the valley.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Mild weather continues here overall, but looks like much cooler weather is coming Friday with a chance of snow. Friday also happens to be the Rockies home opener - could be the coldest opening day in Rockies history, if the temp is below 40 at game time.

This appears to be inevitable. Looks like game time temps will be in the low to mid 30s with snow likely.

Will be interesting to see if they cancel the game or not. Opening day is a huge deal downtown...a lot of people will lose a lot of money.