Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Currently in Denver. One hell of a temp spread, from mid 70s to upper 30s and back to the 70s.

Not sure it will get that warm today, though...currently just 59 here. Hoping to get some t-storms later today/tonight, then much cooler tomorrow with highs in the 40s and maybe some morning snow.

I picked up 1.5" on Saturday and am up to 52" on the season. DEN is up to 26", so they managed to avoid least snowy season on record.

A forum for the end of the world.

How drastic of a difference is the weather between cities on the Front Range? Talking to people in the office, it sounds like Ft Collins is perfect for a weather enthusiast.

Well, the weather between the Denver airport and Boulder, for instance, can vary a fair amount. Closer to the mountains means more precip, both from upslope storms and t-storms drifting off the hills. The further east you go, the more severe weather you'll see.

I don't think the weather in Fort Collins is all that different overall from Denver. Maybe just slightly cooler temps, and a little more precip for western sections.

I had an inch of snow just outside of Boulder this morning. Cold and raw day compared to yesterday.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

You guys go hiking?   If so, I wouldn't mind joining you as well.  I'm working in Loveland for most of the rest of the year and I also visit Salt Lake area on a regular basis.  I was going to be in Boulder tomorrow (plans were to climb some of the Flatirons, but weather will probably change that).

I don't know if anyone is interested, but here are the hikes I have done so far this year:

https://www.summitpost.org/2018-trip-log/1013262

If you are around, we can all meet up. My wife and baby came with me on this trip and she wants to come if we go. So we might have to keep it simple since we would have the baby with us, but I think it would be fun to plan something. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

If you are around, we can all meet up. My wife and baby came with me on this trip and she wants to come if we go. So we might have to keep it simple since we would have the baby with us, but I think it would be fun to plan something.

I'm busy Saturday, but Sunday could probably work for me.

Gorgeous blue bird skies today. 12" of fresh snow made for an absolutely perfect morning skate ski in the Bridgers this morning. Our endless winter continues.

http://i68.tinypic.com/idgo44.jpghttp://i64.tinypic.com/1zf34he.jpg

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Very raw day for late April. Heavy drizzle has turned back to snow and just 34 currently.

It's been snowing all day up at NCAR on the mesa, but its now sticking with the rate having picked up. 

This suddenly became a Boulder/Denver thread! Kind of fun that you are all there at the same time, you should all meet up dinner or something!

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

This suddenly became a Boulder/Denver thread! Kind of fun that you are all there at the same time, you should all meet up dinner or something!

Funny how that worked! It's fun to not be talking to myself for once. 

It's still coming down, with 1-2" out there now on non-paved surfaces.

• Like 2

I ended up with 3" on my car when I left NCAR, but there was nothing when I got down into the city so the snow level was just barely too high for most. Looks like a really nice week ahead now.

I ended up with 3" on my car when I left NCAR, but there was nothing when I got down into the city so the snow level was just barely too high for most. Looks like a really nice week ahead now.

Pretty happy with the amount of precip we've gotten since Friday. Definitely needed it.

• Like 2

After the warm and dry stretch coming up, looks like the Front Range could be in for another decent storm early May. ECMWF ensembles are all over the place, but the wettest have over 3" of liquid and a good snow storm too. 

Near record warmth here today! First 80 of the year at the airport and 79 in town. MSU's record high is 80 today so it was quite close to a new record. 78 IMBY which is also my warmest temp of the year. I can also happily report that all the snow has officially melted on my property! Ends the incredible streak at 184 days of at least some snow on the ground.

Short lived warmth as we're back in the 50's tomorrow with showers and 40's on Monday with likely a little snow Monday morning.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Cold and very wet day here today. Only had a high of 39F with light rain all day and temps mainly in the mid 30's. Up to 0.86" over the past 24 hours and it's still raining. Temp is beginning to drop (back down to 36F already) so definitely possible that we switch over to snow this evening.

Been another wet month... Bozeman MSU is up over 4.5" of precip on the month which is nearly a new record for the month of April. We'll see what the final tally is come tomorrow.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Switched over to all snow and is sticking here now and my property is quickly back to white.  Seeing that green grass for 3 days was nice while it lasted! Now right back to our snow covered default over the past 6+ months.  :(

Cold Season 2023/24:

Latest GFS isn't backing down...upwards of 3" for parts of the metro area.

attachicon.gifgfs_apcpn_swus_13.png

Looks like the latest runs are keeping the heaviest stuff just to our north, but still quite wet either way. Wednesday night looks to be the wettest period but overall showery the next few days.

Cold and very wet day here today. Only had a high of 39F with light rain all day and temps mainly in the mid 30's. Up to 0.86" over the past 24 hours and it's still raining. Temp is beginning to drop (back down to 36F already) so definitely possible that we switch over to snow this evening.

Been another wet month... Bozeman MSU is up over 4.5" of precip on the month which is nearly a new record for the month of April. We'll see what the final tally is come tomorrow.

It just won't quit up there. 

It just won't quit up there. 

Make it stop!! It's almost like we've shifted climates. And now, not surprisingly, flooding concerns are on the rise. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Make it stop!! It's almost like we've shifted climates. And now, not surprisingly, flooding concerns are on the rise. 

You must appreciate snow there outside of just the holidays.     ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You must appreciate snow there outside of just the holidays.     ;)

I do love the snow any time of the year except for maybe May-August! This time of year it just makes a big muddy mess as it melts fast and you can't do anything with it.

Lately its just been the insane amount of rain with temps in the 30's that is getting old. Looking forward to the couple of warm'ish and dry days coming up though!

Cold Season 2023/24:

I do love the snow any time of the year except for maybe May-August! This time of year it just makes a big muddy mess as it melts fast and you can't do anything with it.

Lately its just been the insane amount of rain with temps in the 30's that is getting old. Looking forward to the couple of warm'ish and dry days coming up though!

Must. rain. all. the. time.   

Its the only thing that brings comfort.    Its seemingly the biggest concern over here since it never rains.    :unsure:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

An MD (just 5% of issuance) for the front range. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0305.html

Some decent cells firing up and moving off to the NE this afternoon. 

Yeah, unfortunately all the showers have stayed north so far (except for a brief period early this morning).

Hopefully that changes tomorrow. Looks to be right on the edge of the heavy stuff here.

Rain has definitely moved in this morning. Moderate rate the last hour or so. Tonight it will be interesting to see if the heavier stuff can stay far enough south to impact us. 

Rain has definitely moved in this morning. Moderate rate the last hour or so. Tonight it will be interesting to see if the heavier stuff can stay far enough south to impact us. 

Nice soaking this AM, and per latest models should see precip start up again in a few hours and intensify. Looking a little wetter for our area.

Great meeting you in person today!  :)  Hopefully you can check out Chautauqua Park and the drive up Flagstaff Mountain before you take off.

• Like 1

Nice soaking this AM, and per latest models should see precip start up again in a few hours and intensify. Looking a little wetter for our area.

Great meeting you in person today!  :)  Hopefully you can check out Chautauqua Park and the drive up Flagstaff Mountain before you take off.

It was fun! We can do it again next time I am around. I am liking the look of things tonight. May even see a switch to snow in the morning, especially up at NCAR. 

• Like 1

Heavy rain all over the Front Range this morning. A station near where I have been staying at 1.24" so far and still coming down. I saw a few flakes mixing in too but mostly rain up to this point. Looks to continue for several more hours too but gradually weakening. 

Yeah, some very heavy rain rates earlier in Boulder County. Not quite as heavy at my house, but still picked up .78" since midnight.

It was interesting with the band of heaviest precip just a bit east of the foothills, with rates decreasing towards Boulder coming in from Superior/Louisville this morning. 

• Like 1

It was interesting with the band of heaviest precip just a bit east of the foothills, with rates decreasing towards Boulder coming in from Superior/Louisville this morning. 

Yeah, eastern Boulder County and Jefferson County definitely got hit the hardest. A lot of places over 1.5" on the day now, with moderate rain continuing. Looks like one spot down in Lakewood is almost to 2".

We can definitely use it! Most places should actually be above normal for the year after today.

WaterPNormHPRCC-CO.png

Only bummer is that this storm didn't happen a month ago...would have been a massive snowfall.

• Like 1

Yeah, eastern Boulder County and Jefferson County definitely got hit the hardest. A lot of places over 1.5" on the day now, with moderate rain continuing. Looks like one spot down in Lakewood is almost to 2".

We can definitely use it! Most places should actually be above normal for the year after today.

attachicon.gifWaterPNormHPRCC-CO.png

Only bummer is that this storm didn't happen a month ago...would have been a massive snowfall.

Agreed. This was the perfect set up for a big snow, just a bit too late in the season.

At least the mountains are probably doing pretty well. Although as we said, the best precip is east of the mountains so the totals up there are probably not quite as big as one would otherwise think. 

Meanwhile here in Montana we're under a State of Emergency for the current and upcoming flooding that is forecasted this month with our incredible mountain snowpack. Could be a long couple of months for some folks. Luckily we're above the major streams/rivers and drainages here.

Still on track for the wettest water year on record in Bozeman.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2gy8tbo.gif

Cold Season 2023/24:

Meanwhile here in Montana we're under a State of Emergency for the current and upcoming flooding that is forecasted this month with our incredible mountain snowpack. Could be a long couple of months for some folks. Luckily we're above the major streams/rivers and drainages here.

Still on track for the wettest water year on record in Bozeman.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2gy8tbo.gif

Fake news!

Whatever is happening way to your south is the EXACT same thing that is happening there.    If Colorado or New Mexico is in a drought then so is Montana.   This is not negotiable.   ;)

After a cool start to the month, the heat is on for the Front Range. DEN reached 80 yesterday, and likely will for the next 4 days.

Fortunately, things do look to cool down significantly this weekend with convective possibilities as well.

Have had a nice little break since our 2nd wettest April on record. A few thunderstorm days but not a lot of precip thus far this month. That all looks to change beginning later today. ECMWF shows 1.5-2.0" of precip today through Saturday in Bozeman. Even looks like some snow is possible come Friday night. Highs should stay in the 40's on Friday and Saturday so some chilly, raw late spring days coming up. 

Even beyond this weekend the active pattern looks to continue through next week.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Guest happ

Have had a nice little break since our 2nd wettest April on record. A few thunderstorm days but not a lot of precip thus far this month. That all looks to change beginning later today. ECMWF shows 1.5-2.0" of precip today through Saturday in Bozeman. Even looks like some snow is possible come Friday night. Highs should stay in the 40's on Friday and Saturday so some chilly, raw late spring days coming up. 

Even beyond this weekend the active pattern looks to continue through next week.

The Weather Channel is showing significant flood potential for Montana due to all the snow melt.