Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Definitely some beneficial rains coming in the next 10 days. 

gfs_apcpn_wus_40.png

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Not very often you see a forecast like this in Bozeman. Looking like rain and storms over at least the next 10 days according to all the major models. Rained here yesterday as well so it will be interesting to see what the wet streak gets up to.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14p2qp.jpg

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Nice little graphic from the Missouri Basin RFC this morning displaying the wet pattern.

Tab2FileL.png?898286c1a07b6ff96663b6a7a4

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Nice little graphic from the Missouri Basin RFC this morning displaying the wet pattern.

Tab2FileL.png?898286c1a07b6ff96663b6a7a4

Bozeman is the new Sitka!  

Untitled.png

Snow and cold from September into May and now this in June?     I would not be a happy camper there.   :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Bozeman is the new Sitka!  

Snow and cold from September into May and now this in June?     I would not be a happy camper there.   :lol:

Yeah you wouldn't like it here at all September - May... :lol:  Not all that different than a typical North Bend June though.

July and August are generally beautiful here with temps in the 70's and 80's and the occasional afternoon storms.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah you wouldn't like it here at all September - May... :lol:  Not all that different than a typical North Bend June though.

July and August are generally beautiful here with temps in the 70's and 80's and the occasional afternoon storms.

Yeah... the next week is probably an unfair example.   But I was just thinking about how crazy the weather has been since last fall.   I would be not be happy about suffering through 9 months of cold and snow just to get to rainy summer weather and chilly temps.   :unsure:

Jesse will get annoyed with this observation... but we drive through Montana twice every July/August and it seems to always be hot and smoky.     I do remember last year when we were heading east that it was really bad until right before Bozeman and then for about 20 or 30 miles it looked greener and sky was more blue... then it was back to brown and smoky all the way to Glendive.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yeah... the next week is probably an unfair example.   But I was just thinking about how crazy the weather has been since last fall.   I would be not be happy about suffering through 9 months of cold and snow just to get to rainy summer weather and chilly temps.   :unsure:

Jesse will get annoyed with this observation... but we drive through Montana twice every July/August and it seems to always be hot and smoky.     I do remember last year when we were heading east that it was really bad until right before Bozeman and then for about 20 or 30 miles it looked greener and sky was more blue... then it was back to brown and smoky all the way to Glendive.  

Well the amount of precip and snow we've seen since last fall has been record breaking for a large part of Montana so it's obviously not the norm. The 143.5" of snowfall Bozeman picked up this past season was the second highest on record. But yeah the "9 months of winter" saying here is actually a legitimate fact rather than an old wives' tale.

Montana completely dried out in June last year which was highly unusual hence all the big fires in Western MT. This year obviously is starting out a lot wetter but there are still some worries of another bad fire season here because of the abundant snowfall and rainfall resulting in high vegetation growth this spring.

The city of Bozeman itself is one of the wet spots in Montana with it being east of the divide while still sitting in the high mountains at a relatively high elevation with frequent summer storms. Things generally stay green and lush through the summer here until things start to go dormant again in September. Other parts of Western Montana start to dry out come July similar to the lowlands of the PNW with the peak of the fire season coming in August.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Some of the areas in the worst drought conditions in southern CO/NM currently are now under flash flood watches with significant sub-tropical moisture approaching.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_8.png

attachicon.gifUS.png

And this for where I live...beautiful.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_10.png

This is great to see!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Cooled off to 56F at my place last night, what a relief compared to the hot weather lately.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Yeah... the next week is probably an unfair example. But I was just thinking about how crazy the weather has been since last fall. I would be not be happy about suffering through 9 months of cold and snow just to get to rainy summer weather and chilly temps. :unsure:

Jesse will get annoyed with this observation... but we drive through Montana twice every July/August and it seems to always be hot and smoky. I do remember last year when we were heading east that it was really bad until right before Bozeman and then for about 20 or 30 miles it looked greener and sky was more blue... then it was back to brown and smoky all the way to Glendive.

It was an especially bad fire season when you drove through. Much of western Montana is generally very green. I will admit that the state gets browner as you go east, but that is true in any of the states that straddle the Rocky Mountains and high plains.

• Like 1

Low pressure is still just sitting right over Montana pumping plenty of moisture over the state once again this morning. Was a very wet weekend and today is no different it would seem. Flood Watch continues here until midnight tonight. Today already marks the 10th day of the month with measurable precip here.

Had a high of only 55F yesterday. Today should be similar with a steady light rain and 51F currently. Looks we might catch a bit of a break on Wednesday with just some afternoon storms before another front slides through on Thursday and Friday. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

There was a massive severe thunderstorm in southern SLC earlier today with hail as large as golf balls. Storm had rotation and a descended wall cloud. Some people saw a funnel too. Anyway, just light rain where I was but fun to see from a distance lol

• Like 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

The weather continues to be miserable here. Haven't been above 60 degrees since last Thursday with rain everyday since then as well. Steady rain continues here today and just 50F as we approach the noon hour. So ready for an extended dry and warm period.  :(

Lots of flooding occurring all over the western half of Montana currently. I guess the silver lining is our fire season window looks to be pretty narrow this year.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

The weather continues to be miserable here. Haven't been above 60 degrees since last Thursday with rain everyday since then as well. Steady rain continues here today and just 50F as we approach the noon hour. So ready for an extended dry and warm period.  :(

Lots of flooding occurring all over the western half of Montana currently. I guess the silver lining is our fire season window looks to be pretty narrow this year.

What are you talking about????

Who in the hell wants warm and dry?     Are you kidding me?

Cold drizzle is the epitome of summer perfection.   Absolute heaven... and best if its the same every single day all summer.

What are you talking about?????

Who the hell wants warm and dry? Are you kidding me?

Cold drizzle is the epitome of summer perfection. Absolute heaven... and best if its the same every single day all summer.

Breathe dude.

Breathe dude.

No... this is serious!!

Kayla has expressed a frustration with endless drizzle and cold in the summer.    That is ridiculous.    I cannot tolerate this.    

Did you know its too hot in DC??    Why are you not thinking of DC?????     :unsure:

What are you talking about????

Who in the hell wants warm and dry?     Are you kidding me?

Cold drizzle is the epitome of summer perfection.   Absolute heaven... and best if its the same every single day all summer.

Well that was necessary.

I'd love cold and drizzle during the Summer but I don't get offended if someone doesn't.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Back into the 90s today, but a cool down to the upper 70's is expected on Sunday.

Had a very strong line of storms roll through here earlier this afternoon with nickel size hail and tons of lightning and rain. So much lightning I was able to catch one on camera!

http://i66.tinypic.com/1180v2x.jpg

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

32 this morning at the house when I left for work. It has been such a hot June that I think that this might be our last frost of the season.

I'm guessing we won't see another frost until late August/early September.

Hot weather here the next few days. Looking at our first 100F on Thursday. 

Hot weather here the next few days. Looking at our first 100F on Thursday. 

Yeah, should be close to triple digits here Wednesday and Thursday, and I'm sure DEN will have their first 100 at least one of those days. Should lock in a top 3 warm June.

Thankfully, looks like we'll cool back down into the 80s for the weekend.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Yeah, should be close to triple digits here Wednesday and Thursday, and I'm sure DEN will have their first 100 at least one of those days. Should lock in a top 3 warm June.

Thankfully, looks like we'll cool back down into the 80s for the weekend.

Yep, we have had regular cold fronts keeping the heat spells limited to a few days lately. We will probably cool into the low 80s again next weekend as well. 

Tomorrow should be in the 100-103 range across the metro area. 

As of 8 PM tonight, NOAA just bumped the forecast up and are now forecasting temperatures hotter than that.   DIA is supposed to be 104:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.74001000000004&lon=-104.99201999999997#.WzRKutVKjIU

Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the hottest days in Colorado history.  

As of 8 PM tonight, NOAA just bumped the forecast up and are now forecasting temperatures hotter than that. DIA is supposed to be 104:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.74001000000004&lon=-104.99201999999997#.WzRKutVKjIU

Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the hottest days in Colorado history.

DEN managed 101 today while most of the metro area was 96-99 (97 imby).

It wouldn't surprise me if DEN hits 104, but I don't know about "one of the hottest days in Colorado history".

Las Animas and Lamar were forecasted to be 111, so that would put it in the range of one of the hottest days in Colorado. It didn't make it though. It was at 107 and quickly cooled to 101. Cloud cover or wind maybe?

DIA hit 105, tying the all time record for Denver.

Las Animas and Lamar were forecasted to be 111, so that would put it in the range of one of the hottest days in Colorado. It didn't make it though. It was at 107 and quickly cooled to 101. Cloud cover or wind maybe?

DIA hit 105, tying the all time record for Denver.

Where do you see that? Highest on the hourlies has been 102, though they do somehow manage to pop up 2-3 degrees between hours sometimes.

It's a very cheap tie of the all-time Denver record, if so. Most places in the metro area have topped out around 100-102, including 100 IMBY. There have been several events since I've lived here that were definitely 1-2 degrees warmer.

DEN is a joke station during heatwaves now. Yesterday they were the warmest reporting station anywhere along the Front Range and plains east of the Front Range. Probably will be today, too.

Denver did not used to be the warmest spot in the region.  :rolleyes:

Today's highs.

DEN: 105

Centennial: 101

Buckley AFB: 100

Broomfield: 100

Boulder: 100

The only stations near the Front Range close to DEN's 105 were Fort Collins and Greeley with 104. But those are much further away from the metro area than the stations listed above.

The current DEN is just not comparable to previous heat records for Denver.

DEN is a joke station during heatwaves now. Yesterday they were the warmest reporting station anywhere along the Front Range and plains east of the Front Range. Probably will be today, too.

Denver did not used to be the warmest spot in the region. :rolleyes:

Cool anomalies soothe the soul.