Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Only got about another 1/2" today but snowed most of the day. 

Welcome to the forum. Good to have an Idaho poster. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I ended up with 5.4" total, and 9.7" on the year so far.

Some areas near Tooele had over a foot yesterday.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Maybe from the old forum? I think I did a handful there. I've been lurking since Derek was in highschool!   :)  I've learned a lot over the years!! :wub:

I've come a long ways from the idiot I used to be back in the fox 12 weather blog days haha

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Going to be a cold 36-48 hours here with a potent little cold front skirting by. Already down to 10F this evening.

Will likely only top out in the teens tomorrow with the cold front forecasted to arrive around noon. Maybe a few snow showers as well but not expecting any accumulation.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Dry with inverted conditions until next week. A pair of systems moves through Tues-Wed. Not expecting much, but if all goes well could see a few inches.

Been a chilly start to December here. Bozeman Airport is running -7.2F and MSU -6.9F through yesterday. Another chilly below freezing here today but beautiful sunshine throughout. Through today I'm running a 17.7F average temp so definitely a chilly month thus far.

No big storms in the near term but I am expecting 1-3" of snowfall tomorrow night and maybe a bit more on Wednesday. Still have about 5" of snow on the ground but running well below last year which is not surprising. Will be nice to at least get a bit of a refresh tomorrow!

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looking at 1-3" at my place tomorrow before we dry out again. May be a while before we get our next storm.

Ended up with 3" of snow last night. About 8" of base now. 

Winds are forecasted to really pick up tonight with 50+ mph gusts so definitely going to be quite a bit of blowing/drifting snow tonight/tomorrow with the fresh snow. Should also see a few snow showers but accumulations should stay under an inch.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Nothing really in sight here. The first half of this month has turned out to be exceptionally dull.

I got 2.3" and it was fun. Could easily go 10+ days with nothing now. A few models show a chance of a snow shower here or there but that's about it for now. 

Some rain showers tomorrow, but no new snow for a few more days. Pretty favorable pattern setting up the last week of the month though.

Front Ranger, as there is a pretty good chance I end up in Boulder after I graduate. What can you tell me about the local microclimates for thunderstorms and snow? Wind storms? Or anything else for that matter lol. If I end up there, I want to maximize the interesting weather I see without living in a bad area.

Still looking good here for some snow potentially Friday, but more likely Saturday-Wednesday at times. Almost certainly a white Christmas coming.

• Like 1

Front Ranger, as there is a pretty good chance I end up in Boulder after I graduate. What can you tell me about the local microclimates for thunderstorms and snow? Wind storms? Or anything else for that matter lol. If I end up there, I want to maximize the interesting weather I see without living in a bad area.

Sorry, I missed this!

What radius from Boulder are you thinking? In general, the closer you are to the mountains, the more snow you'll average. You'll also see more frequent summer t-storms close to the foothills, but you'll see stronger spring/summer storms more often further east. You'll also see stronger Chinook winds closer to the mountains, and stronger winter storm winds (usually) further east.

A forum for the end of the world.

Sorry, I missed this!

What radius from Boulder are you thinking? In general, the closer you are to the mountains, the more snow you'll average. You'll also see more frequent summer t-storms close to the foothills, but you'll see stronger spring/summer storms more often further east. You'll also see stronger Chinook winds closer to the mountains, and stronger winter storm winds (usually) further east.

I suppose it depends a little on which facility or company I end up with, but generally would be nice if the commute was less than 20 minutes. I won't go more than 30 minutes. From when I've visited the 36 coming from Superior is usually pretty busy but not completely awful. Not sure about the other main routes. 

Anyway, what you said makes sense. Probably should try and get close to the mountains for the snow/wind. I can always travel an hour east or so for the good storms when they come.

Any impression on whether the foothills north, in, or south of Boulder are better? As an example, here in SLC the east foothills are the snowiest/wettest areas in general, but the snowiest parts of these foothills are either NE or SE of the city. The SE foothills end up with more thunderstorms than the east or NE foothills do. The highest number of thunderstorms overall are on the foothills in the SW part of the city. 

Been a really warm stretch here with tons of Chinook winds but that is finally about to change. Only about 4" of snow out there with lots of bare areas on south facing hills. Thankfully, the switch to colder/snowier weather will begin on Friday morning with a cold front and 1-3" of snow.

Looks like we stay below freezing through the weekend with steady snowfall returning Christmas Eve through at least mid week with cold temps.

Cold Season 2023/24:

I suppose it depends a little on which facility or company I end up with, but generally would be nice if the commute was less than 20 minutes. I won't go more than 30 minutes. From when I've visited the 36 coming from Superior is usually pretty busy but not completely awful. Not sure about the other main routes. 

Anyway, what you said makes sense. Probably should try and get close to the mountains for the snow/wind. I can always travel an hour east or so for the good storms when they come.

Any impression on whether the foothills north, in, or south of Boulder are better? As an example, here in SLC the east foothills are the snowiest/wettest areas in general, but the snowiest parts of these foothills are either NE or SE of the city. The SE foothills end up with more thunderstorms than the east or NE foothills do. The highest number of thunderstorms overall are on the foothills in the SW part of the city. 

South Boulder is generally snowier than north Boulder, but once you get into the actual foothills I don't think it matters much either way. Boulder, of course, is a much smaller area geographically than SLC.

I actually like the weather in the area I live in a little more since snow tends to last here longer because we don't get the Chinooks quite as bad, but I'm still high enough and close enough to the hills that I get more snow than areas further north and east. And I'm also right on the edge of the area that tends to get better t-storms in the spring/summer. But this area also seems to avoid damaging hail more than areas to the south and east.

To make it easy, and since Boulder is so darn expensive to live right in, this is how I'd rank the cities within 30 min of Boulder (for purely weather):

1. North Arvada

2. Broomfield

3. Louisville

4. Westminster

5. Superior

6. Lafayette

7. Longmont

• Like 1

GFS showing a major snowstorm here late Christmas night into the next day. Here's hoping...haven't even had snow on the ground for a couple weeks now.

Been a weird season. I thought you guys would be buried by now.

Cold Season 2023/24:

South Boulder is generally snowier than north Boulder, but once you get into the actual foothills I don't think it matters much either way. Boulder, of course, is a much smaller area geographically than SLC.

I actually like the weather in the area I live in a little more since snow tends to last here longer because we don't get the Chinooks quite as bad, but I'm still high enough and close enough to the hills that I get more snow than areas further north and east. And I'm also right on the edge of the area that tends to get better t-storms in the spring/summer. But this area also seems to avoid damaging hail more than areas to the south and east.

To make it easy, and since Boulder is so darn expensive to live right in, this is how I'd rank the cities within 30 min of Boulder (for purely weather):

1. North Arvada

2. Broomfield

3. Louisville

4. Westminster

5. Superior

6. Lafayette

7. Longmont

Thanks, this is a big help! 

I hadn't thought about keeping your snow longer due to the lack of chinook winds, that was a good point. 

In terms of thunderstorms, where would you say the lines are between less storms and more, as well as strong storms but not too much damaging hail? Is the damaging hail mostly east of I25?

Thanks, this is a big help! 

I hadn't thought about keeping your snow longer due to the lack of chinook winds, that was a good point. 

In terms of thunderstorms, where would you say the lines are between less storms and more, as well as strong storms but not too much damaging hail? Is the damaging hail mostly east of I25?

As far as run of the mills afternoon t-storms in the summer, anywhere from probably Louisville west does best.

With strong storms, damaging hail seems to occur further south (Arvada/Lakewood area) and a bit east of me (Thornton/Commerce City).

• Like 1

I'm looking at probably 1-4" tomorrow evening as a storm blows through. Some models have more and some have less making for a larger spread than usual at 24 hours out. 

Storm tonight didn't work out too well with just .6" of snow. What was looking like a very snowy pattern has trended into chilly but uninteresting. Perhaps Tr-1" Sunday-Monday, and we will see about Tues-Wed...might be nothing or perhaps 1-3". 

Models have really been struggling lately! What was looking like a dry Christmas Eve and Day the models have been trending snowier and snowier for both tomorrow and Christmas Day now. Really tough to estimate snowfall amounts at this point but even just seeing the snow fall during the Holiday season is always nice to see. 

I'll go out on a limb and say T-2" tomorrow and wait to see what the models show tomorrow for the Xmas day storm.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Models have really been struggling lately! What was looking like a dry Christmas Eve and Day the models have been trending snowier and snowier for both tomorrow and Christmas Day now. Really tough to estimate snowfall amounts at this point but even just seeing the snow fall during the Holiday season is always nice to see. 

I'll go out on a limb and say T-2" tomorrow and wait to see what the models show tomorrow for the Xmas day storm.

It's been a rough stretch for models for my area too. A few days ago it looked like 5-10" on Christmas, now maybe nothing. 

• Like 1