Mountain West Discussion

Black Hole

Latitude matters.

For Santa Fe, it's more of a matter of topography than latitude.   Santa Fe isn't as prone to radiative cooling as some areas.    Just to east of Santa Fe and at a similar elevation, Tererro, for example has recorded temperatures as low as -35.

• Like 1

Upward trend in precipitation on models for the storm tomorrow night-Sunday. For my house I am thinking somewhere in the 2-5" range now. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

For Santa Fe, it's more of a matter of topography than latitude.   Santa Fe isn't as prone to radiative cooling as some areas.    Just to east of Santa Fe and at a similar elevation, Tererro, for example has recorded temperatures as low as -35.

Fair point. Although Santa Fe has gotten as cold as -18 in February (2011).

A forum for the end of the world.

Weather looks inconceivably boring and non-wintry here for the foreseeable future.

Same here... Maybe a skiff of snow on Monday but otherwise quite boring over the next 7-10 days. Glad we at least had the big storm last week giving us a solid snow base in town during this extended dry/warm period.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

So windy! The wind has been relentless these last couple of days. Only difference today was that it was accompanied by colder temps so the drifting has been worse. We now have plenty of 4 foot drifts out in the yard. Also had a nice little snow squall move through this morning that dropped a quick inch or so that just blew everywhere.

Looks like after tomorrow we warm up and stay in the 40's through the rest of the week. Pretty boring weather coming up.

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Foggy with drizzle today, about 34-36F most of the day. May see some rain or snow the middle of next week. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Ended up with about 6" of heavy, wet stuff. Nice snowy night around the neighborhood.

IMG_20190111_212139553.jpg

IMG_20190111_210952198.jpg

Nice depressing description, 98.5 percent of us this winter would love to have an inch of that and not describe it that way... it's either nice or not. Not heavy wet stuff.... geez...

Low clouds and temperatures in the upper 20s to low 30s the last few days. Should get a little snow or rain on Tuesday night with hopefully a mix out. Bigger storm with rain to snow Thurs-Friday seems possible at this time. 

Ended up with about 6" of heavy, wet stuff. Nice snowy night around the neighborhood.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190111_212139553.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20190111_210952198.jpg

The building in that second photo almost looks like some sort of castle somewhere in Europe (only without the moat). What building is that and where is it located?

Inversions remain but the stratus finally broke up. First time I've seen the sun in like 4 days. 

Inversions remain but the stratus finally broke up. First time I've seen the sun in like 4 days. 

I had a friend years ago who was in SLC for 6 months for a work contract, over the winter. He complained a lot about the inversions while he was there. I think it was the winter of 2010-11? Or 2011-12.

I had a friend years ago who was in SLC for 6 months for a work contract, over the winter. He complained a lot about the inversions while he was there. I think it was the winter of 2010-11? Or 2011-12.

Probably 11/12. 10/11 had a lot of active weather with only January seeing any sustained ridging. This winter hasn't been too bad until recently. 

1.1" this morning, another 1-3" tomorrow night. Another storm on Monday that may be a bit better. 

Despite highs in the 40s the past couple days with sunshine, snow cover is holding up pretty good. Still about 4-5" for most my yard.

Low dew points and (still) long shadows working their magic.

Sure Jared... your snow does not melt when its sunny and in the 40s?

I was told that someone in DC cannot keep snow on the ground when its sunny and in the 20s. 

You have magical snow!  

If I made the same post... Phil would mock me for days and accuse me of lying.   :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sure Jared... your snow does not melt when its sunny and in the 40s?

I was told that someone in DC cannot keep snow on the ground when its sunny and in the 20s.

You have magical snow!

If I made the same post... Phil would mock me for days and accuse me of lying. :lol:

Well, to be fair, from late February on sunshine is much more effective at melting snow.

Well, to be fair, from late February on sunshine is much more effective at melting snow.

To be fair... we had about 6 inches of graupel in that storm (not fluffy snow) which did manage to survive the next day with a 47.4 degree sun angle and a low dewpoint.

I actually wish it had not happened.   I have spent hours trying to explain something that nature actually did... because it did happen.    I wanted it to melt instantly.     :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Tomorrow evening may see an early transition to snow (graupel perhaps) to due very heavy convection near the front. HRRR showing the temperature plummeting from the mid 40s to 33F in about an hour near me. Also shows about .7" of precipitation falling as snow near 33F or so. Could be several inches of wet snow in that case. 

Looks like our snow drought is finally coming to end. It has stayed cold here for the most part under an inversion so still plenty of snow out there but it sure is dirty looking. We should see a couple of inches of snow tomorrow into Friday with more over the weekend. It looks like we could see a pretty strong storm Sunday night into Monday and again Wednesday.

12z ECMWF shows about 20-25" in Bozeman over the next 10 days so it appears the snow machine is finally turning back on.

Cold Season 2023/24:

1" of snow this morning. Models busted hard again with about 5x the total water compared to what we actually got. 

Nice shot of snow coming up for the Intermountain West and my area early next week, per the 18z.

gfs_asnow_swus_12.png

I didn’t even make the map...what does that make my area??

Cold Season 2023/24:

Under a Winter Weather Advisory here beginning tonight. Looks like 2-4" of snow tonight and possibly an additional 1-3" on Monday.

Another system moves in on Wednesday that looks to be a bit stronger.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Winter storm watch for SLC down to southern Utah for 4-8" of snow. I think some places will get that, but for me I am thinking 3-6" more likely. Still, should be a nice storm. 

The Rockies. :)

The intermountain West usually refers to the area between the Rockies and the Cascades/Sierra Nevada.

Yeah I've always thought of Bozeman as kind of a tweener Northern Rockies climate being situated east of the Continental Divide while just barely west of the Northern Plains. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Picked up 2" of snow last night. Looking like 4-6" late tonight into tomorrow. 

Really nice to be back in an active snow pattern again.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Snow has really been coming down out there this morning. Up to 8" of snow on the day already and still coming down. The snow started off quite wet for here so things are way more flocked than they usually are. Just beautiful!

http://i68.tinypic.com/2agu2vc.jpghttp://i63.tinypic.com/20h8v1w.jpg

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24: