April 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Question for the forum....do you have a favorite app that accurately shows lightning strikes? I haven’t found one that I like. I’m willing to pay for it so it doesn’t have to be a freebie. Thanks.

I asked myself the same question during the Sunday snowstorm!  Haha, too funny...I think @IllinoisWx may provide some suggestions...

• Like 1

Not getting my hopes up, but I didn't even realize we have a chance for some severe storms this afternoon / evening. That would be awesome. I'd even settle for just a nice, strong t-storm. Plenty of rain over the last month, but the lack of thunderstorm & lightning is something I would like to see change. 

• Like 2

Question for the forum....do you have a favorite app that accurately shows lightning strikes? I haven’t found one that I like. I’m willing to pay for it so it doesn’t have to be a freebie. Thanks.

Radar Scope. The app costs $10, and you need an annual subscription to get the lightning data, which also costs $10. So.. if you're willing to spend $20 for it, it's probably the best you will get. This app was recommended to me by a meteorologist from the DVN NWS when I was to the spotter training course, so it's probably the best you're going to get... which is why it's also the most expensive one you can get.

The $10 annual subscription on the app app also allows you you draw on the radar, has a distance calculator, will let you tap on a specific area to see the DBZ. It's an awesome app. 

• Like 2

Since Saturday they’ve been trending down the rainfall potential today. It was down to 0.5” last night. This morning the tune has changed and heavy rain in the forecast with up to 2” possible. But a really nice weekend shaping up with 60s and 70s expected. Dirty snow piles should be gone soon.

There's a pretty nice batch of showers and storms moving up toward MSP.

Squadoosh down here.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Radar Scope. The app costs $10, and you need an annual subscription to get the lightning data, which also costs $10. So.. if you're willing to spend $20 for it, it's probably the best you will get. This app was recommended to me by a meteorologist from the DVN NWS when I was to the spotter training course, so it's probably the best you're going to get... which is why it's also the most expensive one you can get.

The $10 annual subscription on the app app also allows you you draw on the radar, has a distance calculator, will let you tap on a specific area to see the DBZ. It's an awesome app.

Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation. I haven’t looked at that one yet.

WeatherBug tracks lightning. Thunderstorm radar is trash but it's good for snow events (useful now that it's April, huh?) 

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Sounds good! Thanks for the recommendation. I haven’t looked at that one yet.

For sure. I didn't get it at first due to the cost, but then I figured I would skip going out to eat for one weekend and the cost would be made up. Glad I downloaded it. If you really look at the radar a lot, easily worth the price, IMO. 

• Like 2

I was going to say there is two apps that track lighting but in terms of apps they aren't cheap. : /

I have RadarScope. What’s the other one you’re thinking of? Thanks I don’t mind paying for apps up front, but I don’t like annual subscriptions. So I don’t have lightning on RadarScope & really don’t use that app a lot.

I have RadarScope. What’s the other one you’re thinking of? Thanks I don’t mind paying for apps up front, but I don’t like annual subscriptions. So I don’t have lightning on RadarScope & really don’t use that app a lot.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the annual subscription, but I figured an extra $10 for an entire year wasn't too bad for some features that I really like to use. I've also found it very user-friendly, which isn't always the case with some apps of that nature. Took me a little messing around the first time I got, and I pretty much figured it out.

One question I have for you... not sure if you even know.. but do you know if you can get a zoomed out radar? I know how to go to each radar location, but I wasn't sure if you could get a more zoomed out look? Similar to how the NWS site has the Upper Mississippi Valley Sector radar, I still haven't been able to figure out if RadarScope has something similar. 

• Like 1

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the annual subscription, but I figured an extra $10 for an entire year wasn't too bad for some features that I really like to use. I've also found it very user-friendly, which isn't always the case with some apps of that nature. Took me a little messing around the first time I got, and I pretty much figured it out.

One question I have for you... not sure if you even know.. but do you know if you can get a zoomed out radar? I know how to go to each radar location, but I wasn't sure if you could get a more zoomed out look? Similar to how the NWS site has the Upper Mississippi Valley Sector radar, I still haven't been able to figure out if RadarScope has something similar.

That’s one thing I never saw on RadarScope. I also like to see the radar of the entire USA at times. Storm Hunter WX is an app that animates lightning with the radar, but it seems to load kinda slow. It’s geared more for Iowa, but has national radar & many other things as well.

My Radar app also has free lightning animation that I thought was kind of cool,but isn’t working for me lately. I also have BlitzortungLive and RealTimeLightning apps which you can also view on websites. Some apps also have add ons that you can buy or subscribe to.

https://lmaps.org/#-92.9;42.67;7

I also like this site pretty good.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=34

Thanks for your opinion. Not nitpicking. Simply pointing out incorrect verbiage and information. A severe thunderstorm warning isn’t a forecast of possible severe weather in a couple of days. Severe weather is caused by the same ingredients in Texas as it is in Nebraska or Iowa or Georgia. Maybe she wasn’t aware of those things. I’ll keep to posting only snowfall observations from now on though.

Is there really any reason to nitpick? Andie has been on here forever, I'm willing to give her a pass on this instead of doing what you're doing.

• Like 1

RadarOmega: Advanced Weather Radar. It has velocity options too which is nice for tornadoes.
  • Like 1

I have Radar Scope, but just the $10 version, not the Pro upgrade.  Does the Pro upgrade allow a regional/national view of the radar?  That is the one thing I wish Radar Scope had.  If I could have that then I'd never need another radar, because otherwise I really like it.  Unless there is a regional view I just haven't figured out yet. 

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the lightning trackers. Much appreciated. Not sure which one I’ll go with yet but it’s good to have options.

Meanwhile, pouring buckets here. Nothing severe. There are a few road closures due to flooding. The grass is really gonna green up with the warm temps coming.

Fairly cool day w temps at 43F 53F,along w hazy skies. Lotta clouds around.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

I have Radar Scope, but just the $10 version, not the Pro upgrade. Does the Pro upgrade allow a regional/national view of the radar? That is the one thing I wish Radar Scope had. If I could have that then I'd never need another radar, because otherwise I really like it. Unless there is a regional view I just haven't figured out yet.

I haven't been able to figure that out yet. I haven't found it, but it's shocking to me that they wouldn't have that. Seems like a pretty simple / normal thing to have. That's really the only complaint I have about it, but I'm still hoping it's there and I just haven't figured it out.

EDIT: It doesn’t appear that they have one. Here is an explanation I came across on Facebook:

“Hey Mike, I work support for WDT. RadarScope is optimized to show a single radar at a time, and does not support display of multiple radars. Many doppler radar products are not intended to be displayed more than one at a time, because they require some context to interpret correctly. For example, doppler radars measure the radial component of velocity, so for the data interpreted properly you must know where the radar is located. Overlaying multiple velocity images would make this exceedingly difficult. For products like reflectivity that's not such a problem, but all radars update at different times, and for overlapping pixels each radar is looking at a different level in the vertical direction. To properly mosaic radar data requires quite a bit of horsepower and a very large amount of bandwidth that isn't currently feasible on today's mobile devices. NOAA and various other private sector weather data providers do the mosaic process on their servers and serve up images, which is certainly a valid way to go, and the best way to go in terms of radar mosaics. RadarScope though is optimized for single radar presentation at maximum resolution and flexibility in terms of available product types and tilts, which is a different end goal than what you get with the free mosaic images found around the web.”

• Like 2

The latest Euro has mid 50s tomorrow, but then 60s and a few 70s through day ten.  Garden/yard season has begun.  I need to get my beet seeds planted.  The grass also needs to be mowed for the first time.  The buds on the trees are much more noticeable now.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

James, it looks like a strong storm just rolled through your town.  What did you get from it?

The latest Euro has mid 50s tomorrow, but then 60s and a few 70s through day ten.  Garden/yard season has begun.  I need to get my beet seeds planted.  The grass also needs to be mowed for the first time.  The buds on the trees are much more noticeable now.

Wow. It’s like we live in different worlds. It’s not quite garden season here,the grass is just turning green, and no buds on any of my trees yet. I prefer your world in the spring. I’m not a fan of spring up this way.

• Like 2

The storms to my west are supposed to weaken as they head East, and I also fear that I’ll be split by the cells. Hopefully some things change before it gets over here. Have had some brief showers pass through over the last couple hours, but nothing much.

Yeah, the storm cells to the south of me are heading east, and the cells currently to the east of me look to have a bit of a more northern orientation.

The strongest storm within the broken line moving into eastern Iowa is just west of me, moving east.  It was just warned.

• Like 1

Are you right in CR? Or a little north/south? I can never remember. I want to saw Hiawatha, but I feel like I’m thinking of someone else.

I am 2 miles due west of downtown CR.

hlcater is in Hiawatha and Iowawx (I think) is in far north CR.

There are warnings on some of these cells, but I'm not seeing any spotter reports.

Yeah, it looks like some hail in the northern cell.  I'm just expecting some decent gusts and heavy rain from the CR cell.

DVN expected the storms to weaken as they head east through the area this evening.  We aren't exactly bursting with instability.