April 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Really nice weather till Saturday, then rain........Lord! That sounds dull.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Meantime, 12z EPS continues to suggest a very wet and largely BN temp pattern across an extensive area of our Sub Forum.  I wouldn't be surprised if it snows in the Dakotas and up through MN/WI by mid April.  Crazy pattern setting up.

• Like 1

In NYC ya'll. Currently at 48F w mostly sunny skies.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Euro weeklies show a largely below average rest of April once we get past the first 10 or so days. The middle of April is notably cold, whereas we end April on a mild (too mild to say "warm") note. The nice weather continues into May. Bad news for severe wx buffs but good news for those who don't want Summer coming quite yet.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Euro weeklies show a largely below average rest of April once we get past the first 10 or so days. The middle of April is notably cold, whereas we end April on a mild (too mild to say "warm") note. The nice weather continues into May. Bad news for severe wx buffs but good news for those who don't want Summer coming quite yet.

Severe weather season around here doesn't even really seem to get kicking in this area until mid to late May anyway. It seems to really intensify the first couple of weeks of June (always around the College World Series it seems). I am okay with the current pattern, warm days (50s and 60s) and cool nights (30s and 40s) are my favorite. 

I think March 2012 screwed up people's perceptions on how a normal spring should be. The past few springs (other than last year) have been very normal.

In my area I would say it was very normal once we got past that crazy cold arctic air in early March. It was so cold early on, that March still ended up around 4.5° below normal at my location. But it sure felt a sight better & seemed like a big pattern change after March 10 or so!

Severe weather season around here doesn't even really seem to get kicking in this area until mid to late May anyway. It seems to really intensify the first couple of weeks of June (always around the College World Series it seems). I am okay with the current pattern, warm days (50s and 60s) and cool nights (30s and 40s) are my favorite. 

HA yeah I forgot about the CWS curse. Even in the worst severe wx seasons we can always count on the world series to bring us some good storms at the expense of the fans and players who were at the game.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

HA yeah I forgot about the CWS curse. Even in the worst severe wx seasons we can always count on the world series to bring us some good storms at the expense of the fans and players who were at the game.

I'm glad someone else knows about this. Last year it was straight line winds and tornadoes. The one that I remember the best though was year we had 94mph winds. Sadly family friends lost their barn they were converting into a house. They had it raised up to redo the foundation (barn was one of the oldest in Mills county, 1880s). I remember the day before asking the contractor want the system was rated for. He said 72mph.

After seeing the Euro Weeklies, the nail in the coffin for any sustained warmth for anyone on here this month is the development of a stout -NAO block along with a -AO/-EPO.  Not one model saw this coming.  No Sizzle in the April Frizzle....enjoy this weekends Torch bc I feel this is the only period of any reasonable and sensible warmth around these parts for a while.  Hey, at least my long standing call of a warm up around the 6th/7th worked out.  Too bad it won't last that long.  I guess nature wants us to go back to...#delayedspring

• Like 1

Ummm...ya, if this comes into fruition people will wonder why to trust the CFSv2 during Spring shoulder months.  It does well during the Winter months but I've noticed it doesn't do nearly as well during the Autumn/Spring months.

Here's the Euro weeklies April temp forecast....Trust the King

D3G_kR_W0AEUwRv.png

EDIT: This is coming off of what was a cool/cold March nation wide

D3F0jiCX4AIwXnp.jpg

• Like 1

00z Euro/EPS starting to hone in on the 10th-12th Spring  Winter storm potential across the Plains/MW...my gut tells me someone west/north of here is going to get hit pretty good with a late season snowstorm as this pattern develops and might not be the last snowfall through mid-month.  What an unusual pattern setting up.

Walked out the door to 1 1/2 inches of wet snow this morning! Trees are all coated. Seems like April snows are becoming more common than not. I'm waiting to see what Waterloo receives as they only needed 4 tenths for the record.

I agree, it seems to be a trend of late and I would not be surprised in the years to come this continues as we head deeper into the Solar Minimum.  BTW, I think your area has a shot at more snow from the 10th-12th system and then again a few days later.  Not a normal pattern to say the least.

• Like 1

00z Euro/EPS starting to hone in on the 10th-12th Spring  Winter storm potential across the Plains/MW...my gut tells me someone west/north of here is going to get hit pretty good with a late season snowstorm as this pattern develops and might not be the last snowfall through mid-month.  What an unusual pattern setting up.

Again it would be more unusual to not get another snow around here than to get one.  April in Minnesota is generally a yoyo.  Not uncommon to have above normal days followed by below normal days.  

Again it would be more unusual to not get another snow around here than to get one. April in Minnesota is generally a yoyo. Not uncommon to have above normal days followed by below normal days.

True, you guys up north do get more April snows than us farther south, however, my point is that the intensity or amount of snow that may fall during this evolving pattern is not so common. We may be stuck in a BN temp regime post 10th for a long period.

I did not see any flakes this morning... just a bit of rain that wet the ground.

Regarding the possible cool April, 1ºC below avg would not be a big deal.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Ummm...ya, if this comes into fruition people will wonder why to trust the CFSv2 during Spring shoulder months.  It does well during the Winter months but I've noticed it doesn't do nearly as well during the Autumn/Spring months.

Here's the Euro weeklies April temp forecast....Trust the King

D3G_kR_W0AEUwRv.png

EDIT: This is coming off of what was a cool/cold March nation wide

D3F0jiCX4AIwXnp.jpg

I'll take 50 or so.    Not that cold in Michigan in April.

• Like 1

Nor Easter will bypass the NYC area, but winds are picking up here now, along with cloudy skies after a beautiful sunny day. Looks like the heavist rain will stay well offshore (Montauk and points east), but a few embedded showers are not ruled out. It feels nippy outside w current temp at 45F.

Btw: there is a Fire Weather Watch and a Small Craft Advisory.

Tomorrow should feature a sunny day w temps in the mid 60s. NorEaster well offshore at that point.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

High was 74. Currently 69. Bright clear.

Man I need to bottle this for July and August!!

Simply perfect.

60% chance of rain Saturday. That’s okay. We can use it.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*