April 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Drove to work this morning with the fields and trees all blanketed in white and a nice crisp sunrise. Felt like I was starting a 3rd winter season.  :huh:

Glad that final "near miss" is over. I'm ready for a legit nice Easter. 

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Some trees are starting to bud. Finally!

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

The Euro just caved to the progressive models like the NAM.  For Iowa, the midweek system pushes a line of storms through Wednesday afternoon and evening and then it's done.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Saturday looking like the warmer of the two days up this way, but yeah a nice holiday weekend shaping up for sure. I can’t wait to get outside and enjoy it. I need spring, bad.

I feel ya!  Taking a glance outside, the open spots of grass showing up are a lot greener after the snowfall.  Pretty amazing to see the transformation.  Should feel more like Spring tomorrow and the rest of the week/weekend.

• Like 3

We have another front moving in on Wednesday. Tomorrow will be 76 and a low of 66.

However, a high of 81 on Wednesday will collide with the front west of Ft. Worth and we will be square in a severe storm warning. The risk will escalate as it hits and passes Dallas. High winds @ 30 mph, hail, and heavy rain will be the order of the afternoon.

IMG_3654.JPG

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

April this year around here isn't nearly as cold as April of last year, especially once the rest of this month is taken into account. I noticed that 1 yr. ago lows were in the low to mid 20°s with highs in the mid 30°s! Probably won't see such a cold April (like last year) again in my lifetime as that could've been a once in a lifetime event.

• Like 2

The Euro just caved to the progressive models like the NAM. For Iowa, the midweek system pushes a line of storms through Wednesday afternoon and evening and then it's done.

The King is not so kingly with the last few systems.

We're actually in somewhat of a dry & boring pattern in this area lately it seems. I've seen many springs with more rain and storms than this, but April is only halfway over.

• Like 1

We are now half way thru April so now is a good time to see where the major Michigan reporting stations stand so far.  Grand Rapids the mean temp 44.7° (-0.3) total precip 2.50” (1.56 is average) snow fall 4.8” (1.4” would be average) the highest so far this month is 74 and the lowest 19. For other Michigan locations. Departures or averages are in (  )  Muskegon Mean 43.8 (+0.1) precip 1.86” (1.45) snow fall 7.8” (1.9) Lansing mean 44.5 (+0.3) precip 1.34” (1.52) snow fall 1.5” (1.4) Detroit mean 47.5 (+1.1) precip 1.34 (1.43) snow fall trace (1.3) Flint mean 44.4 (+0.8) precip 0.92 (1.44) snow fall 2.1” (1.3) Saginaw mean 44.0 (+0.9) precip 0.85 (1.39) snow fall 2.1” (1.3) Alpena mean 38.4 (-0.1) precip 1.82 (1.22) snow fall 10.1 (4.1) snow on the ground 5”  The Sault mean 34.7 (-2.0) precip 2.41 snow fall 2.5 (4.5) snow on the ground 15” Marquette mean 31.4 (-2.6) precip 2.43” (1.50) snow fall 8.6” (9.3) snow on the ground 18”

High winds of 30mph is just a slight breeze here lmao

That's as the day begins that morning. Winds will pick up today/Tuesday. We get these days a lot too. The storm will hit 40-60 mph. We're waiting to hear the tornado profile. We're in that time of year until August. Pretty average.

West of Dallas has been lucky thus far. The severe weather appears to be tracking in east Texas.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Currently cloudy w temps at 44F. Looks like a wet week, but not as bad as it looks. Less than an inch of rainfall from today till Friday.

April 2024:

As for Greek Easter, the weather is looking like it will be decent, but way too far off. The American Easter stands at some wet weather in the morning, but should dry up in the pm hr.

@IndianaJohn, you got that Lam going?! :lol:

• Like 1

April 2024:

We have another front moving in on Wednesday. Tomorrow will be 76 and a low of 66.

However, a high of 81 on Wednesday will collide with the front west of Ft. Worth and we will be square in a severe storm warning. The risk will escalate as it hits and passes Dallas. High winds @ 30 mph, hail, and heavy rain will be the order of the afternoon.

attachicon.gifIMG_3654.JPG

They've already issued a severe tstorm warning 2 DAYS in advance? That's a pretty bold prediction on the part of your NWS. Around here we don't get warnings until the storms have actually formed and are severe and are going to hit an area usually within 30 MINUTES. 

• Like 1

The King is not so kingly with the last few systems.

We're actually in somewhat of a dry & boring pattern in this area lately it seems. I've seen many springs with more rain and storms than this, but April is only halfway over.

Yes, it has been a generally boring late winter and spring around here.  Much of the action has been well north, south, east, and west of us.  This week's system is another one that had big potential but is turning into a dud for us.  All the models are now showing nothing more than a thin line of weak showers and storms Wednesday evening.  Instead of phasing into one big system, one main piece of energy is going north and another is going south.  I hope May and June will be more interesting and exciting.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Just ordered 3 of them..... 25lbs each!! 2 of them don’t make it off the souvla (spit) LOL!!

As for Greek Easter, the weather is looking like it will be decent, but way too far off. The American Easter stands at some wet weather in the morning, but should dry up in the pm hr.

@IndianaJohn, you got that Lam going?! :lol:

• Like 1

Just touched 70F with full sun and blue skies...I've been chillaxin' outside on the deck catching some rays while doing some work.  While doing so, the thought came to mind and just 2 days ago, it was snowing heavily with whiteout conditions.  The volatility of Spring I tell ya...really enjoying this day...#TerrificTuesday

• Like 2

Just touched 70F with full sun and blue skies...I've been chillaxin' outside on the deck catching some rays while doing some work. While doing so, the thought came to mind and just 2 days ago, it was snowing heavily with whiteout conditions. The volatility of Spring I tell ya...really enjoying this day...#TerrificTuesday

Was thinking the same thing. This is a really wild 48 hour turnaround. Half foot of snow and whiteout to mid 70s

• Like 2

We over-performed today.  The locals had upper 60s to low 70s, but we've been sitting at 75 for a couple hours.

• Like 2

They've already issued a severe tstorm warning 2 DAYS in advance? That's a pretty bold prediction on the part of your NWS. Around here we don't get warnings until the storms have actually formed and are severe and are going to hit an area usually within 30 MINUTES.

Funny thing about Texas weather is with the Gulf air, and the collision with dry lines and or cold air, even I could give you a two day alert. But Texas weather is trickier for forecasters not practiced in its personality.

We've had a heavy influx of moist Gulf air for 2 days. Cool but sticky. And quite blustery.

The dry line should hit late afternoon and we have a forecast for winds up to 70 mph, hail, possible tornados. I think the threat of tornados will increase as it approaches or passes Dallas. Ft. Worth is higher in elevation than Dallas just enough to make it interesting.

Temps tomorrow High of 81*. Low of 59*.

Man, I don't want to replace a roof this year. :(

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3658.PNG

• Like 1

Just ordered 3 of them..... 25lbs each!! 2 of them don’t make it off the souvla (spit) LOL!!

:lol:

You go buddy....wow, that sounds amazing.

April 2024:

Cloudy and dismal outside w temps on the nippy side (40s).

April 2024:

You missed my sarcasm. There’s never a severe thunderstorm warning issued 2 days in advance, just like there’s never a tornado warning issued 2 days in advance. They(NWS and SPC) issue OUTLOOKS days in advance.

I’m well versed in how severe weather occurs and is forecasted even in Texas. Gulf air, dry lines, and cold air are ingredients for severe weather anywhere. How do you think we get severe weather in Nebraska?

Funny thing about Texas weather is with the Gulf air, and the collision with dry lines and or cold air, even I could give you a two day alert. But Texas weather is trickier for forecasters not practiced in its personality.

We've had a heavy influx of moist Gulf air for 2 days. Cool but sticky. And quite blustery.

The dry line should hit late afternoon and we have a forecast for winds up to 70 mph, hail, possible tornados. I think the threat of tornados will increase as it approaches or passes Dallas. Ft. Worth is higher in elevation than Dallas just enough to make it interesting.

Temps tomorrow High of 81*. Low of 59*.

Man, I don't want to replace a roof this year. :(

IMG_3657.JPG

IMG_3658.PNG

• Like 1

You missed my sarcasm. There’s never a severe thunderstorm warning issued 2 days in advance, just like there’s never a tornado warning issued 2 days in advance. They(NWS and SPC) issue OUTLOOKS days in advance.

I’m well versed in how severe weather occurs and is forecasted even in Texas. Gulf air, dry lines, and cold air are ingredients for severe weather anywhere. How do you think we get severe weather in Nebraska?

Is there really any reason to nitpick? Andie has been on here forever, I'm willing to give her a pass on this instead of doing what you're doing.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Yesterday was awesome indeed. 77° for a high and light winds. Almost to warm when you're not used to it. Early trees etc are just beginning to leaf out. I hope the models are wrong & we get rain, but I'm kind of doubtful of seeing much. This spring pattern was good for averting a big flood threat! The snow up north didn't rapidly melt & there weren't many big rainfall events during melt off .

• Like 1

I'm starting to see a pattern in the Week 1-2 period that illustrates a nice Spring torch across our Sub, one that could have some legs into the early part of May.  Both GEFS/EPS are developing early season Heat across the deserts of the SW and So Cal region during the Easter holiday and into the following week while the upper level flow turns zonal across the entire CONUS flooding the U.S. with warmth.  The ridge will likely blossom across the central CONUS later next week and could stay put for a good week or so putting an end to the abysmal back and forth pattern we have been enduring of late, esp around here.

Who's ready for a stretch of 70's...perhaps 80's???  I do believe it will remain active with storm systems coming out of the Rockies but taking a more northerly track.

00z GEFS...

gfs-ens_apcpna_us_8.png

• Like 6

Since Saturday they’ve been trending down the rainfall potential today. It was down to 0.5” last night. This morning the tune has changed and heavy rain in the forecast with up to 2” possible. But a really nice weekend shaping up with 60s and 70s expected. Dirty snow piles should be gone soon.

While not as warm as Chicago it was indeed a nice spring day here in Grand Rapids as the high here was 64° it did turn much cooler just before sun down and it was a cold night last night at the ballpark. But there are now many spring flowers out and the grass is turning greener by the day and it will not be too long before the first cut of spring. Then with all of the rain (and snow) that has and will fall cutting the grass will be a 2 or 3 times a week thing for a while. 

• Like 2

Very wet forecast in stored for SEMI. Storm afta storm. Temps remain in the 50s and 60s though.

April 2024:

Catching sarcasm on the internet is like tasting and enjoying a great meal. It ain't gonna happen.

Meanwhile, this morning is like swimming in the Gulf. The air is very heavy. All it needs is a little help and someone will get pounded, which will happen this afternoon between 4 and 6 till midnight. They're still calling for areas of golfball to baseball sized hail. So don't need that.

Currently 68* and low heavy clouds. No rain.

• Like 3

Currently some sunshine breaking through those angry looking low cloud ceiling and roads are a bit damp from those early April showers. Temps are nippy w readings holding in the 40s attm.

April 2024:

Since Saturday they’ve been trending down the rainfall potential today. It was down to 0.5” last night. This morning the tune has changed and heavy rain in the forecast with up to 2” possible. But a really nice weekend shaping up with 60s and 70s expected. Dirty snow piles should be gone soon.

As far as I can tell the old parking lot snow piles here are now gone. There are still a few parking lot piles from Sundays snow fall but they will soon be gone as well. I work for the local minor league baseball team and the parking lot still has snow from Sunday and of course there are always some players who have not seen snow in the lifetimes come up here and see snow for the first time. While not ever year it has happen several times over the years. when we get s snow fall in April

• Like 2