Welcome!

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by the Weather Forums! Please take the time to register and join our community. Feel free to post or start new topics on anything related to the weather or the climate.

Photo

April 2019 Weather Discussion in the PNW

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

BLI snowman

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

BLI snowman

Lacking H20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9519 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

The Portland region is incredibly overdue for a significant wet month between May and August. You have to go back to July 2014 to find a reasonably large surplus from any one month.

• TT-SEA likes this

Requiem

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Requiem

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4258 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Hot dogs and donuts for dinner. Hoping there is no glaze on the couch in the morning. Supposed to be humid.

Is this a sexual metaphor?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

An inch or two won't cut it. I had nearly 9 inches of rain fall in the first 2 weeks of the month and now it is already getting very dry outside. It's looking to stay dry for the next 15 days as well, so we'll be really primed up for the upcoming summer.
Wet patterns in June are always very short lived, and only drop an inch or two of rain. That will not be enough to cut it when we enter a hot and dry pattern again thereafter.

Its a catastrophe!!    Everyone is the PNW is very worried about that as we emerge from winter darkness.   :lol:

The western part of the U.S. is as good as gone at this point.    Its never been this bad.     

drought.png

Esquimalt

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

Esquimalt

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1821 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt, British Columbia (Elevation 6 Feet)

Is this a sexual metaphor?

Metaphor or analogy?

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

The Portland region is incredibly overdue for a significant wet month between May and August. You have to go back to July 2014 to find a reasonably large surplus from any one month.

I would love some 68-degree dewpoints and thunderstorms this summer.  

• BLI snowman likes this

TacomaWaWx

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

TacomaWaWx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3890 posts
  • LocationTacoma, Washington elevation 300’

Continental airmass to our east and deep offshore flow.

Record low this morning at Pendleton with 27.

here locally I have had the coldest nights recorded in the last 10 years for late April looking back at my records. Was 38 last night and no frost here but the other night it got to 35 and some frost. 35 degrees isn’t exactly cold but for late April it is.

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • LocationBoring, OR 600FT

Its a catastrophe!!    Everyone is the PNW is very worried about that as we emerge from winter darkness.   :lol:

The western part of the U.S. is as good as gone at this point.    Its never been this bad.     

drought.png

All it takes is for the surface to dry out in order for fires to begin. It doesn't take long either, especially with these very long hot and dry spells that have become so common in our region.
And that winter darkness you talked about was preceded by a very dry and warm spell for a large portion of March and was succeeded by what is now turning into a long and dry spell once more. It doesn't mean much now.
I have to screenshot my photos otherwise they post sideways

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:53 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

All it takes is for the surface to dry out in order for fires to begin. It doesn't take long either, especially with these very long hot and dry spells that have become so common in our region.
And that winter darkness you talked about was preceded by a very dry and warm spell for a large portion of March and was succeeded by what is now turning into a long and dry spell once more. It doesn't mean much now.

Winter rain never seems to mean much.

Nothing you can do about it... just enjoy the nice weather. I am sure it will rain plenty more soon enough.

Requiem

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:54 PM

Requiem

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4258 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Nothing you can do about it... just enjoy the nice weather. I am sure it will rain plenty more soon enough.

It depends what you mean by soon enough. Doesn't appear to be in the next three weeks.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

MossMan

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:55 PM

MossMan

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 14027 posts
  • LocationStanwood, Wa
Nice day!
  • TT-SEA likes this

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:56 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

It depends what you mean by soon enough. Doesn't appear to be in the next three weeks.

3 weeks is longer than the models can accurately see out.

I just enjoy whatever sunshine and dry weather that nature provides.  

TacomaWaWx

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:59 PM

TacomaWaWx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3890 posts

3 weeks is longer than the models can accurately see out.

I just enjoy whatever sunshine and dry weather that nature provides.

very true all you can do is enjoy the weather God throws our way. Maybe there will be smoke this year maybe not either way just best to enjoy the nice smoke free/rain free skies and don’t take them for granted.
  • TT-SEA and Omegaraptor like this

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

very true all you can do is enjoy the weather God throws our way. Maybe there will be smoke this year maybe not either way just best to enjoy the nice smoke free/rain free skies and don’t take them for granted.

Even if it was dumping rain here every day right now... we could still be inundated with smoke from CA or BC in July and August.  

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:02 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

It's just plain draining and not good for the entire ecosystem in which we live. Underground aquifers will also suffer. But most of all, it's a big nuisance to walk outside and immediately feel hot and fatigued. I couldn't even run half the distance I usually do today because the sun was out in such full force.
Soon enough would be about right now, so we could set back the dryness already developing, but it appears we don't even have any rain coming within the next 15 days. It's also going to be extremely warmer than normal as this happens which will just exacerbate the dryness further.
  • Requiem likes this

TacomaWaWx

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

TacomaWaWx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3890 posts

Even if it was dumping rain here every day right now... we could still be inundated with smoke from CA or BC in July and August.

yeah that’s something I’ve come to realize recently.

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

It's just plain draining and not good for the entire ecosystem in which we live. Underground aquifers will also suffer. But most of all, it's a big nuisance to walk outside and immediately feel hot and fatigued. I couldn't even run half the distance I usually do today because the sun was out in such full force.
Soon enough would be about right now, so we could set back the dryness already developing, but it appears we don't even have any rain coming within the next 15 days. It's also going to be extremely warmer than normal as this happens which will just exacerbate the dryness further.

:lol:

Wow.

It was 70 degrees down there and the air was bone dry.    The dewpoint was in the teens!   That is rare almost any time of the year around here.

If you want 45-degree rain all summer then you should move to coastal Alaska.    Its just silly to say the sun should never shine and the temp should always be cold so you can run.    Not going to happen.   That is not even close to climo.  :rolleyes:

High Desert Mat?

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:09 PM

High Desert Mat?

Forum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Wow.

It was 70 degrees down there and the air was bone dry. The dewpoint was in the teens! That is rare almost any time of the year around here.

If you want 45-degree rain all summer then you should move to coastal Alaska. Its just silly to say the sun should never shine and the temp should always be cold so you can run. Not going to happen. That is not even close to climo. :rolleyes:

Thanks Nino. Here comes the trigger.

GHweatherChris

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6257 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, WA (7 miles east)
Words and posts increasing as I type this....

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:16 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

The sun was out on April 30th... how could this happen?   It was so miserable.   I fainted from heat exhaustion upon walking out the door.   The sun should never shine.   That is normal.   ;)

That is like someone saying its unbelievable that its raining in November.     Give me 2 dry days a week in November and I am perfectly happy.    That is climo. 

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:20 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Wow.

It was 70 degrees down there and the air was bone dry. The dewpoint was in the teens! That is rare almost any time of the year around here.

If you want 45-degree rain all summer then you should move to coastal Alaska. Its just silly to say the sun should never shine and the temp should always be cold so you can run. Not going to happen. That is not even close to climo. :rolleyes:

I never said the sun should never shine or that it should be raining and 45 degrees all summer. You're exaggerating what I am saying.
I'm saying that these anomalies for so long are not normal and are having negative impacts on our ecosystem. I'm also not used to this so often here, like the plants, and am beginning to grow tired if it.

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

I never said the sun should never shine or that it should be raining and 45 degrees all summer. You're exaggerating what I am saying.
I'm saying that these anomalies for so long are not normal and are having negative impacts on our ecosystem. I'm also not used to this so often here, like the plants, and am beginning to grow tired if it.

You said today was miserable like it was so unusual to ever see the sun or experience a temp close to 70.   You were immediately fatigued from the heat after walking out the door.    Pretty goofy.    

And if its true... then even normal summer weather is terrible to you.  

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Today was +3 at PDX.     

Thrilling. 

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

You said today was miserable like it was so unusual to ever see the sun or experience a temp close to 70.   You were immediately fatigued from the heat after walking out the door.    Pretty goofy.     :lol:

And if its true... then even normal summer weather is miserable to you.

I didn't experience that today, but do anticipate it coming rather soon. We've had so much of it in every single summer since 2013. Along with that we've also had near constant warm and dry anomalies for way longer than normal periods of time during these years.
Where I did experience much more fatigue was when I ran today due to the sun and heat. With the sun angle so strong and the air so warm, the heat mirages were lifting from the pavement and overheating me. Done running during times like these in the daytime.

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:34 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

I didn't experience that today, but do anticipate it coming rather soon. We've had so much of it in every single summer since 2013. Along with that we've also had near constant warm and dry anomalies for way longer than normal periods of time during these years.
Where I did experience much more fatigue was when I ran today due to the sun and heat. With the sun angle so strong and the air so warm, the heat mirages were lifting from the pavement and overheating me. Done running during times like these in the daytime.

Oh well.    That is climo.   You act like its a surprise.

We don't garden much in November and December... also climo.

GHweatherChris

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:41 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6257 posts
Yep #triggered

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Yep #triggered

Oh well.    You are pathetic too. 

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:45 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Oh well. That is climo. You act like its a surprise.

We don't garden much in November and December... also climo.

It being dry and warm for this long and having these periods continue repeating themselves is not climo. I actually am surprised this has happened so much the past 6 years. Never would have expected it before then.

GHweatherChris

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:46 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Oh well. You are pathetic too.

Wow...

At least I am honest and not masking anything.

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

It being dry and warm for this long and having these periods continue repeating themselves is not climo. I actually am surprised this has happened so much the past 6 years. Never would have expected it before then.

You have absolutely no idea what the rest of this year will bring... and I am specifically referencing your goofy comments about today.    Your heat exhaustion today has nothing to do with the last 6 years.   A day like this at the end of April could happen in any year... and usually does happen.   It was actually very close to normal today.

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Wow...

At least I am honest and not masking anything.

Honest about what?   

Omegaraptor

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:53 PM

Omegaraptor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2558 posts
  • LocationNuevo Bakersfield

Portland region is due for a truly anomalously wet month. Hasn't happened since April 2017, pretty much.

But then again "due" is overrated. Anything could happen this summer, but there's a good chance it's going to be very dry.

No rain here until Hour 258.

GHweatherChris

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Honest about what?

Everything I post

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Everything I post

Yeah... and I am not.   OK.

You never know what I like and don't like.    :lol:

GHweatherChris

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:00 PM

GHweatherChris

Special Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6257 posts

Yeah... and I am not. OK.

You never know what I like and don't like. :lol:

Actually you make it very clear, in a very narcissistic way. Anyways, have a good night Tim, convo over!!

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:00 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

But most of all, it's a big nuisance to walk outside and immediately feel hot and fatigued. I couldn't even run half the distance I usually do today because the sun was out in such full force.

Had to save this one for posterity.

You posted something almost exactly the same as this last April on a day when it was 66 degrees.   And I had to bring up again several times last summer when it was actually very hot.

I might have to do the same with this post... from a day that was probably in the upper 60s in your area with a dewpoint in the teens and that unbelievable late April sun angle here on the equator.     :lol:

Omegaraptor

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:03 PM

Omegaraptor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2558 posts

Average April 30th for PDX is 65/45.

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:03 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

You have absolutely no idea what the rest of this year will bring... and I am specifically referencing your goofy comments about today.    Your heat exhaustion today has nothing to do with the last 6 years.   A day like this at the end of April could happen in any year... and usually does happen.   It was actually very close to normal today.

I did not have heat exhaustion, I was simply more fatigued from my body compensating for the high temperatures and loss of moisture through sweat.
It doesn't matter what happens the rest of the year, the region has already experienced so much of these warm and dry spells the past 6 years that getting more is just insane and not enjoyable.

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:06 PM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24793 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

Continental airmass to our east and deep offshore flow.

Record low this morning at Pendleton with 27.

Very interesting.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2019-20: 13.0" 

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"
2012-13: 16.75"
2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:07 PM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24793 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

Looks like they had more rain in 3 hours this evening in Tulsa than most places in the PNW did this month.

• BLI snowman likes this

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:08 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Had to save this one for posterity.

You posted something almost exactly the same as this last April on a day when it was 66 degrees. And I had to bring up again several times last summer when it was actually very hot.

I might have to do the same with this post... from a day that was probably in the upper 60s in your area with a dewpoint in the teens and that unbelievable late April sun angle here on the equator. :lol:

When's the last time you've done some serious cardiovascular activity in those conditions? It's quite straining!

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24793 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

A semantics aside. It is pretty amazing the faucet shut off in mid-April for a 2nd year in a row. 

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:12 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

When's the last time you've done some serious cardiovascular activity in those conditions? It's quite straining!

What is your point?   You cannot handle a normal late April day?   Then you best take a long trip to coastal Alaska... because even normal weather for the next few months will be warmer than today.   That is just climo.   Just like rain in November.  

Omegaraptor

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

Omegaraptor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2558 posts

A semantics aside. It is pretty amazing the faucet shut off in mid-April for a 2nd year in a row. 

There was a cold rainy front early last June. Phil is saying that a cool wet pattern will make an appearance in late May / early June.

Let's see what happens...

• Phil likes this

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Way too early to say this... even May could end up wetter than normal in the end.   Its April 30th.  

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:17 PM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24793 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

There was a cold rainy front early last June. Phil is saying that a cool wet pattern will make an appearance in late May / early June.

Let's see what happens...

Last June was dry and May was record warm AND dry. At least this year doesn't look quite as warm...

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:18 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Last June was dry and May was record warm AND dry. At least this year doesn't look quite as warm...

Yeah... and also the small fact that we can only reasonably see out about 7-10 days and its April 30th.  

El_Nina

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

El_Nina

Daily Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Dude... it was almost a perfectly normal late April day.     And it probably actually felt a little cooler than normal there with a decent NW breeze and extraordinarily dry air. 

What is your point?   You cannot handle a normal late April day?   Then you best take a long trip to coastal Alaska... because even normal weather for the next few months will be warmer than today.   That is just climo.   Just like rain in November.

Handling a day would be just sitting idle and doing normal not so strenuous activities. I ran 3 smiles this afternoon, so I felt the heat and dryness much more than you would doing the former.
But my point is, these stretches of perpetual sun and warmth is not normal at all and this one looks to go down as one of those. The reliable EPS agrees.

SilverFallsAndrew

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:24 PM

SilverFallsAndrew

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 24793 posts
  • LocationSilverton, OR

Yeah... and also the small fact that we can only reasonably see out about 7-10 days and its April 30th.  

Historical data shows us we have about a 60% chance of having a dry May, 20% near normal, 20% wet. So here is a possibility of course.

TT-SEA

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

TT-SEA

Forum Fantastic

• Members
  • 500146 posts
  • LocationNorth Bend WA

Handling a day would be just sitting idle and doing normal not so strenuous activities. I ran 3 smiles this afternoon, so I felt the heat and dryness much more than you would doing the former.
But my point is, these stretches of perpetual sun and warmth is not normal at all and this one looks to go down as one of those. The reliable EPS agrees.

Your point is all over the place.   

There is almost always an extended stretch of sunny, dry weather in late April or May at some point.   And usually periods of rainy weather as well.

Today was very close to normal.   The last 6 years have NOTHING to do with your inability to handle a normal late April day.    If you cannot handle doing exercise on a normal day then that is your problem... not nature's problem.   

You are mixing all kinds of things together... but the only unusual aspect about today was the extraordinarily low dewpoints which actually makes it feel a little cooler than it would otherwise.   ;)

BLI snowman

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:28 PM

BLI snowman

Lacking H20

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9519 posts
  • LocationRidgefield, WA

I would love some 68-degree dewpoints and thunderstorms this summer.

Me too.

As perpetually warm as the last few summers have been, there has also been a distinct lack of southerly flow or lowland convection. Made for a lame combo.
  • TT-SEA likes this