May 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I picked up 0.17" of rain this morning.  The warm front has recently surged through the area and the sun has come out.  We are at 71º.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

It's darker than midnight under a skillet right now.

No rain yet. It's sitting out just west of me. The worst of the heavy stuff will occur between the Red River and Denton, Tx.

Still 77*. Getting darker as I write. Looks like late sunset. This thing has been moving slow however, so who knows how much rain it will drop despite being on the southern tail end of this line.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Driving up to Sedona today for a day trip and tackle a couple different hiking spots: 1) Soldiers Pass  2) Devils Bridge  

Supposedly, these are some of the most scenic trails in Red Rock country.  Have a great day everyone.  Stay safe for those who are going to see storms today.

I'm envious Tom! I married an Arizona boy and I love that area. The drive through the canyon is nice too.

Enjoy. Zone out a little and enjoy the town. Great place.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Spotty sunshine here as well with temp at 75° and dew of 68°. Seems like low stratus clouds often develop as soon as the sun creates a bit of instability which in turn prevents further instability.

Only 0.20” of rain this morning. The line was just strengthening as it moved through.

I’m liking what some of the models were showing for se. and e. Ia. tonight.

Hopefully the latest HRRR isn’t onto something, because it doesn’t look all that impressive a lot of E Iowa, except maybe the NE part.

The e-w line will move through here, but the n-s part may pass west of Cedar Rapids.  That's where the heaviest rain will be.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The e-w line will move through here, but the n-s part may pass west of Cedar Rapids.  That's where the heaviest rain will be.

Radar to me looks good for Cedar Rapids. Looks like the rain is starting to expand as it continues to move ENE. Don't you think? 

Radar to me looks good for Cedar Rapids. Looks like the rain is starting to expand as it continues to move ENE. Don't you think?

I would agree. I’ve seen the HRRR swing and miss before. Hopefully that happens again. Not sure about Dubuque, but I would be pleased with the developments if I was in the CR area.

It looks like Tama and Benton counties will get the brunt.

0.30" just from the thin initial band of red.  Heavy rain is really filling in south of CR now.

In SW of Ft. Worth we received ~.60" rain, that is when it wasn't raining sifdeways. Came down fast.

The really cool part was how long the dark clouds sat almost stationary, the suddenly barreled through.

The thunder in the distance sounded more like canon fire, not thunder.

I heard Civil Wat canons fire several years ago, and this was eerily similar.

• Like 1

CR looks to be in a prime spot for some good rain this evening. Much lightning / thunder with it?

Some, including a couple nice cracks.  Mostly just moderate rain with embedded very heavy downpours.  Up to 0.50" here.

Now up to 0.71" here. With rain still moving in, I am feeling good about reaching at least an inch here and likely more than that based on radar trends. 

I'm over 0.90" this evening.  A couple stations on the sw side are over an inch.

Hawkeye, there is a really dark red band moving into the SW side of CR. Are you seeing heavy rain there? Looks like it's moving northeast.

I've been watching that band.  It looks like the heaviest of the evening.  It's still a couple minutes away.

Flash Flood Warning issued for Linn, Iowa, Johnson, and nw Jones counties.  A few stations on my side of town are going over 2 inches for the day.

I thought the heavy rain pivot point would pass 1-2 counties west of Cedar Rapids, but instead it went right over us.

• Like 1

Wow. I just looked at the Euro and it has 12 inches!! of rain falling in many parts of Iowa between now and May 28, with probably more after that. GFS has widespread 6-9 inch amounts as well. If that happens, flooding could be a issue here.

This kind of reminds me of a pattern we had in June 2008/2014, with repeated rounds of heavy rain. 

• Like 1

Might be a disaster for area crop farmers if this keeps up. Soils are totally saturated here. I might be nearing 1" finally from the rainfall this evening. Would've been neat to experience that last heavy cell that suddenly blew up just a few miles wsw, but the first initial downpour seemed to be the heaviest. You guys in CR did very well!

• Like 1

46F with a wind chill of 38F. This is ridiculous.

June is two weeks away and I still have my heat on. It’s downright raw out there. Tomorrow looks even worse. I wouldn’t mind seeing a couple flakes just so I can say it happened this late in the year, but I’m definitely ready for some warmer weather after this. In a month the days start getting shorter and some of my north facing hostas are only a few inches tall.

• Like 1

Aside from the storms this morning, just can’t really get much going over here. Everything is weakening or missing here. And the stuff down by the Quad Cities is weakening as well. Seems like the HRRR was onto that, actually. Just didn’t have the heavy axis of rain down correctly.