May 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Yep, not getting jack squat here.  The counties just south of CR are getting nailed.  Maybe by September we can get something.

It's possible that's going to be it until Saturday night or Sunday.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Absolutely. Apparently, Iowa City and Chicago get everything. If you like watching weather, DON'T come to Cedar Rapids!

I feel your pain thunderstorm-wise so far this month. The last round of good storms a couple weeks ago missed us to the west and south, tonight all the action is to the north and east of Omaha. Stuck right in the middle of nothing-ville here in the Omaha metro. Tomorrow evening and night are our best shot still, however I am cautiously optimistic at this point. 

Iowawx you gotta calm down man. We get plenty of storms. In fact we actually got hit tonight, just wasn’t that strong. I’d rather not deal with wind damage anyway.

I'm sorry but we just had a lot of heat and instability and the HRRR got my hopes up until the storms somehow went southeast and not straight east. 

I'm sorry but we just had a lot of heat and instability and the HRRR got my hopes up until the storms somehow went southeast and not straight east.

No worries. I’m hoping we get a few more chance over the next week!

Yep, not getting jack squat here.  The counties just south of CR are getting nailed.  Maybe by September we can get something.

It's possible that's going to be it until Saturday night or Sunday.

The HRRR has a good looking thunderstorm complex moving across Eastern Iowa tomorrow morning, but I don't know if that will happen. 

There are wind reports of 60-70 mph in the North Liberty/Tiffin/Iowa City area.

I want a good storm, but I don't want severe wind to destroy the plants I just got in the ground.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

My wx station shows the maximum wind at 66 mph! And it lasted so long. My sister says they have a lot of cleaning up to do with large branches down at their farm half a mile northeast. Just a lot of small branches n twigs here. The east sides of our buildings are plastered with leaf fragments as trees got a beating . Some of my rain gauges blew a little sideways, but ones that didn't show only around half an inch.

Line #2, same as line #1... all bark, no bite, barely missing south.  Maybe a couple more of these storms can get us up to 0.10" of rain.

I wish I would have gotten my grub control on the lawn yesterday.  I wasn't sure if we would get heavy storms that washed the granules away or not much rain at all (need 0.50-1.00" of rain after applying the stuff), plus I ran out of time in the evening.  What we've received is in between the two extremes, the perfect light to moderate soaking rain for the grub control.

Cloudy and cooler today w temps holding in the 60s. Yesterday was beautiful as readings climbed into the upper 70s.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Yesterday's Severe Wx was a taste of this year's "Ring of Fire" pattern as the SE heat dome fueled the Fire.  This map shows the areas that got hit pretty good with training storms.

D6wiKbCX4AABag0.jpg

I know we have some members in the western burbs of Chicago that got hit by a Severe warned storm late last night that dropped 1" hail.

D6vvhykWkAAQob_.jpg

Cloud tops reached close to 50,000ft!

D6vqRpLWkAAtDtC.jpg

• Like 1

I got 0.54" of rain last night and into this morning. Looks like rain will continue for a little while. That is better than nothing, but I am still very disappointed about missing out on the severe weather last night. Hopefully we can get some severe storms tomorrow. 

West Tx is in the severe weather bullseye today.

That will shift to East Tx tomorrow. The DFW area may dodge the severe weather if we get morning rain to cool and “ cushion” us from the severe potential.

Mets watching this one closely. I just don’t want hail.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I'm up to 0.80" of slow, soaking rain.  Radar shows better rain organizing again to the west, so it's going to continue for a while.  We've had a lot of slow, general rain this spring.  At least this time it's not cold.

• Like 2

I'm up to 0.80" of slow, soaking rain.  Radar shows better rain organizing again to the west, so it's going to continue for a while.  We've had a lot of slow, general rain this spring.  At least this time it's not cold.

These rain events do provide decent amounts of rain, but it sure would be nice to get a good thunderstorm with some nice downpours. Maybe this weekend?? 

• Like 1

Had some pop up thunderstorms around the Omaha metro this morning, not much rain from these though as the cells were pretty disorganized and were fairly small. Only picked up about .20 so far this morning.

The much advertised severe weather outbreak looks to be splitting Omaha this weekend, with the better chances today well to our west and mostly to our east tomorrow. I feel your pain CR peeps, however there are plenty more chances for severe weather in our future.

• Like 3

If some of those more organized showers and storms can hold together in western Iowa, that might be enough to push us up to an inch of ran.

It will be very important about how warm we get tomorrow. SPC has us in a slight risk, but after last nights massive dud, I'm not sure about it.