June 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Just about as perfect a track as I could ask for here in Marshall

attachicon.gif20190620 Map grab.PNG

Dont ya wish it was Winter right now and w cold air in place. Just imagine the beauty outside.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Had light rain all afternoon here, but still only 0.34” total.

Same here, nothing heavy, but damp, misty, dreary and coolish. Readings did not really climbed outta the 60s (62F to be exact).

Currently at 64F w light rain.

That above average rain for July is very close to DFW area.

I can see occasional thunderstorms around here through the summer.

The atmosphere here is very different.

It isn't the humidity, it's something I can't put my finger on.

Current temp. - 99*

Heat Index- 119* ! D**n!

Dewpoint - 80*

Humidity 48%

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Still raining IMBY, but radar is showing clearing taking ova just to my west. Temps are at a cool 63F w damp conditions.

Btw: Being that tomorrow is the first day of Summer, lows tomorrow nite will be in the chilly 40s. What a way to welcome Summer :lol:

• Like 1

Cold Lake Michigan.  At least I just moved back to Grand Rapids, where it has less influence during this cold spring/summer.  10-15 degrees warmer inland as usual.  I'll take 70 over 58 in June lol.  

Today, some people had on hoodies and jackets :rolleyes:

• Like 2

@Tom

Did KC finish spring with above average temps? I think it did...the reason I bring it up is that the long range forecasts back in March called for a well below average spring. April was above average and June will finish above average it appears with much warmer weather on the way.

Suppose to be an MCS trucking across KS tonight, hopefully KC gets it as we have dried out big time this month.

The 00z HRRR really clobbers southern Iowa Friday through Saturday night, while barely getting some decent rain up to Cedar Rapids.

The 00z 3k NAM is even farther south, clobbering northern Missouri with multiple rounds of storms.  Up here, we get squat.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

@Tom

Did KC finish spring with above average temps? I think it did...the reason I bring it up is that the long range forecasts back in March called for a well below average spring. April was above average and June will finish above average it appears with much warmer weather on the way.

Suppose to be an MCS trucking across KS tonight, hopefully KC gets it as we have dried out big time this month.

According to these maps, the heartland was largely BN temp wise and AN precip for Spring...

MAM19TDeptUS.png

MAM19PDeptUS.png

@ IowaWx, today's Severe Wx threat for SE IA may the one that finally provides your strong thunderstorm "fix".  Based off everything I've looked at, there is a solid signal for the MCS to track across E IA and more redevelopment overnight and through the weekend.

hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_10.png

• Like 2

Thanks Tom. I think if you go by the actual spring period of March 20th to June 20th you will see KC was right about average. (Maybe) The month of April officially was 1.7 degrees above average, MAY was 1.6 below, and first 20 days of June we were .6 degrees above average. My math may be way off...LOL

MCS with thunderstorms on the leading edge heading for KC this morning, we need it as most of the area is 2-3 inches behind for the month.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. I think if you go by the actual spring period of March 20th to June 20th you will see KC was right about average. (Maybe) The month of April officially was 1.7 degrees above average, MAY was 1.6 below, and first 20 days of June we were .6 degrees above average. My math may be way off...LOL

MCS with thunderstorms on the leading edge heading for KC this morning, we need it as most of the area is 2-3 inches behind for the month.

No prob, not to mention, March was a brutal month for many...anyway, looks to me like the KC area is in a prime position to score a lot of heavy rains from numerous waves of storms over the next 3-4 days.  Good luck!

Mar19TDeptUS.png

It's a wonderful, crisp, cool and sunny sunrise here in Chicago!  My goodness, this is a welcomed sight for sore eyes to see the sun which always brightens up the day with my morning cup of coffee.  I like where we are heading over the next 1-2 weeks as Summer weather is finally showing up throughout next week and I better get used to the higher humidity levels.  TBH, I really don't mind as I would like to put away my "hoodies" for the time being.

Holy smokes, now this is prob the biggest SOI crash of the year!  Look for a big cool down Week 2 as we enter the 4th of July holiday period of just thereafter.

SOI values for 21 Jun, 2019:

Average SOI for last 30 days -8.78
Average SOI for last 90 days -5.20
Daily contribution to SOI calculation -35.29

• Like 1

For a change the sky is clear this morning with a temperature of 56 here at my house and 57 out at the airport. At this time the mean temperature at Grand Rapids is 64.0 and that is a departure of -3.0° Officially at GRR the rain fall yesterday was 1.57″ and this has been a cloudy month so far also. According to Bill Stiffen as of June 17th GR has only had 46% of possible sunshine this month 63% is average for June.

With June now looking like it will end up being the 6th month in a row of below average temperature wise one might wonder just how rare that is. Well from October 2002 to August 2003 Grand Rapids had 10 months in a row of below average temperatures August 2003 was just about average (+0.3) with September and October back to below average and November being above average at +1.0 then December being +2.4 then back to below average in January and February 2004.

Glorious, fantastiko day outside, deep blue skies, not a cloud to be found in the sky, crisp, dry air w temps in the upper 50s, along w a very refreshing NW breeze. Lows tanite will fall in the mid to upper 40s under crystal clear skies. A chilly one indeed. Any outdoor activity today will be approved by Ma Nature. Just, absolutely splendid.

• Like 1

Omaha has a dome over it this morning.

Yeah I don’t want to hear it from you CR peeps about always being missed by storms, LOL! Outside of one lousy hail storm that hit a localized area, the severe storm season locally has sucked so far for the most part.

Missed to the west, south, north and east - I feel that we are paying for our awesome Winter now.

Heard some thunder and had less than a 1/2 inch of rain from this complex - pretty darn disappointing as I was expecting some good storm action here early this morning.

• Like 1

As with the 06z run the 12z HRRR has nothing here tonight.  I hate it when the first big round of storms of an expected active pattern mostly tracks south.  That forces the next round to track south, which forces the next one to track south, etc.  

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

I'm agreeing with a lot of what the JMA weeklies are suggesting as we close out June and head into the month of July where the West will "Fry". A lot is going on in the model world and the pattern is going to amplify big time next month and will likely continue through the rest of Summer. A nice push of Summer warmth which has been well advertised will begin this weekend and extend through at least the 1st week of July. Once we get into July, I strongly believe the summer anti-cyclone will position itself near the 4 corners region and meander in this part of the country for the rest of Summer. Tie that in with a strong signal for a western North American ridge and blocking you will see a translation towards a troughy/WN Flow pattern across the eastern CONUS. This is where the LRC pattern becomes a bit sketchy to use in the longer range and it takes a bit of your own experience to figure out the pattern. Nonetheless, a wet/cool signal is showing up for next month. Big Monsoon season starts in July???

So, here we are with the Week 2 temp/precip pattern...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201906.D1912_gl2.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201906.D1912_gl0.png

Week 3-4...during this period, once past the 4th of July holiday, I envision some deep troughs to penetrate our Sub...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201906.D1912_gl2.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201906.D1912_gl0.png

Holy smokes, the NE PAC is on Fuego....nice cool pool developing NW of Hawaii, Modoki Nino...boy, there are many other things I am monitoring for next Winter that are very enticing. I'll be honest, compared to last years enthusiasm I had for that winter last Summer, this year is no comparison. History will be re-written yet again...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201906.D1912_gls.png

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Perfection. Simply perfect.

I'll bear this heat out. That PAC is a drawing from my dreams.

Historic.

• Like 1

Finally, by looking at my extended forecast, Summer weather is imminent. Temps may actually stay in the 80s next week for several days in a row. Wooohhoooooo!!!!! :D

• Like 1

@ IowaWx, today's Severe Wx threat for SE IA may the one that finally provides your strong thunderstorm "fix".  Based off everything I've looked at, there is a solid signal for the MCS to track across E IA and more redevelopment overnight and through the weekend.

hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_10.png

Thanks Tom! Unfortunately, it looks like this mornings storms are struggling to reach Eastern Iowa. They are moving very slow. HRRR suggests the redevelopment maybe south of here. I sure hope we can still get something this weekend.

Not unexpectedly, the storms up here are beginning to stratify into a blob of rain with embedded downpours.

The KC area is getting it good this morning.

As with the 06z run the 12z HRRR has nothing here tonight. I hate it when the first big round of storms of an expected active pattern mostly tracks south. That forces the next round to track south, which forces the next one to track south, etc.

Welcome to my world this spring. All of the dynamics have been well south of here time after time. I’ve seen 2 or 3 thunderstorms this season so far. Nothing even remotely severe.

I'm agreeing with a lot of what the JMA weeklies are suggesting as we close out June and head into the month of July where the West will "Fry". A lot is going on in the model world and the pattern is going to amplify big time next month and will likely continue through the rest of Summer. A nice push of Summer warmth which has been well advertised will begin this weekend and extend through at least the 1st week of July. Once we get into July, I strongly believe the summer anti-cyclone will position itself near the 4 corners region and meander in this part of the country for the rest of Summer. Tie that in with a strong signal for a western North American ridge and blocking you will see a translation towards a troughy/WN Flow pattern across the eastern CONUS. This is where the LRC pattern becomes a bit sketchy to use in the longer range and it takes a bit of your own experience to figure out the pattern. Nonetheless, a wet/cool signal is showing up for next month. Big Monsoon season starts in July?

Tom,

I can handle a wetter July. We are already seeing heat indexes between 105-119* this week. This is an impossible temp swing in terms of being able to handle it. People used to Texas heat are struggling. Can't imagine people new to it.

I am hoping our temps moderate. This is tough to cope with

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

This morning's MCS has pushed the cold pool quite far south.  The latest HRRR and 3k NAM don't even have anything in southern Iowa tonight.  All the redevelopment is in northern Missouri.  The 3k NAM doesn't have any additional rain up here until Sunday.

This morning's MCS has pushed the cold pool quite far south.  The latest HRRR and 3k NAM don't even have anything in southern Iowa tonight.  All the redevelopment is in northern Missouri.  The 3k NAM doesn't have any additional rain up here until Sunday.

The SPC has us in a slight risk tomorrow. How do severe prospects look here tomorrow? I think it might depend on how much sun we get and how warm we get. 

As much as I'd like to see some storms, i'm also quite ok with a dry warm day tomorrow.  So I'm rooting for that.  .78" reported already in Tiffin at Clear Creek HS this morning.  Probably will push over an inch.  

• Like 1

AR-170409973.jpg CedarRapidsWeirdClouds1.jpg

I forgot that yesterday was 13 years since some really weird clouds were spotted over Cedar Rapids. Nobody had ever seen clouds like these before, and there was no name for them at the time. In 2017, they were finally classified was asperitas clouds. These photos led to their worldwide recognition in the world metrological organizations cloud atlas.

Photos are from June 20, 2006. I did not take pictures of them at the time, and I really wish I did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperitas_(cloud)

Those clouds would pretty well leave a man awe stricken. That top picture is amazing.

• Like 1

The 00z HRRR really clobbers southern Iowa Friday through Saturday night, while barely getting some decent rain up to Cedar Rapids.

The 00z 3k NAM is even farther south, clobbering northern Missouri with multiple rounds of storms.  Up here, we get squat.

Bummer!